Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Euro bike

Although, back on topic, my twopenneth is:

a) many manufacturers promoted 29ers during the last couple of years which 'artificially' made numbers look good - if a majority of your range is 29" then it follows that a majority of your sales figures will reflect this. Speaking to a couple of LBS's they give the impression that a large proportion of 29er sales went to new riders buying their first 'proper' bikes on the wave of cycle-mania that spent the UK. I guess this could be the reason you don't see too many on the trails albeit they are fairly common on the blue at Bedgebury.

B) Spesh aside, most of the 2014 ranges I've seen so far have majored on 27.5 with 29ers becoming less in number and 26 almost non-existent in some ranges.

C) most of the press I've read seems convinced that 27.5 is slightly better than both 26 & 29.

D) our better LBS avoid selling 29 ers in small frames as they believe that the big wheels just don't work in the smaller frames & the geometry/wheelbase becomes compromised.

E) D'Artagnon, I'd guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Greenville View Post
    *pats CAAD 10*
    WHOAH there gently gently, don't pat it, it's an alloy cannondale you might snap the fucking thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Greenville View Post
    *pats CAAD 10*
    Flash git.

#wonders whether CAAD 8 deserves a run out tomorrow#

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
    Although, back on topic, my twopenneth is:

a) many manufacturers promoted 29ers during the last couple of years which 'artificially' made numbers look good - if a majority of your range is 29" then it follows that a majority of your sales figures will reflect this. Speaking to a couple of LBS's they give the impression that a large proportion of 29er sales went to new riders buying their first 'proper' bikes on the wave of cycle-mania that spent the UK. I guess this could be the reason you don't see too many on the trails albeit they are fairly common on the blue at Bedgebury.

B) Spesh aside, most of the 2014 ranges I've seen so far have majored on 27.5 with 29ers becoming less in number and 26 almost non-existent in some ranges.

C) most of the press I've read seems convinced that 27.5 is slightly better than both 26 & 29.

D) our better LBS avoid selling 29 ers in small frames as they believe that the big wheels just don't work in the smaller frames & the geometry/wheelbase becomes compromised.

E) D'Artagnon, I'd guess.

Forget who's actually buying the things, because if you took into account the entire market you'd be also taking into account all of the Argos/Halford MTB's too. So if you want to know the state of play though look at the racers.

XC it's all 50% 27.5" or 29" can't think of a current UCI rider on 26" if you race local races it's sort of the same but there still are riders maybe 25% of them still racing 26ers.

I have no idea about "Enduro" what a fucking ridiculous idea.

DH I'm fairly certain they're all pretty much still riding 26ers but on certain circuits I'm almost certain I remember some guy riding it on a 29er Sea Otter does that ring a bell?

4X and Slopestyle. Surely that's all 26" you can still buy 24" jump bikes.

Jumps & BMX you're down to 20" or 24" cruiser racing.

A) For the majority of the cycling market a 700c/29er hybrid bike it going to make the most sense...more miles less effort, plus they're not likely to be hitting anything difficult to fuck up on.

B) If you were a multinational in the wake of a worldwide economic crisis what would you do? hedge your bets and run with the press/trends new big thing?

C) Remember in 1989 there were press articles on how remove 2% of the weight and 94% of the structural rigidity of your components by drilling them out.

Yeah, but what about the musketeer?

And the small people?

Quote Originally Posted by William of the Hearted Bl View Post
    Forget who's actually buying the things, because if you took into account the entire market you'd be also taking into account all of the Argos/Halford MTB's too. So if you want to know the state of play though look at the racers.
    I did say 'proper' bikes

Quote Originally Posted by William of the Hearted Bl View Post
    A) For the majority of the cycling market a 700c/29er hybrid bike it going to make the most sense...more miles less effort, plus they're not likely to be hitting anything difficult to fuck up on.
    which is exactly why they were being recommended to the noobs looking to ride in the park, on a towpath etc.

It doesn't matter what wheel size my bikes have; the engine is still f#cked.