Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Road Time Trials

I seem to have entered a 10 mile TT.

So, what's the technique or is it just hell for leather for 10 miles?

Obviously go as fast as you can but people generally are advised to start slightly slower than you think and ride yourself up to your maximum sustainable speed and try and finish completely knackered . At the end of the day it's only a 10 so you can pretty much do what you want and hang on for the last few miles if you blow but there is definitely a technique to riding these events . A heart rate monitor or powermeter is a useful tool if you want to get serious .

There is a technique.........

And its watch eurosport at 8:30 tomorrow morning.

Here as well, just notice the picture on the top.....
    Last edited by Dalesman ; 01-07-13 at 22:44.

20 min warm up then smash it in.

Cheers.

A bit of googling reveals a more detailed version of Neils post - ie

Spend 15 mins cycling to warm up then in the first minute of two build up to just under Lactate threshold, and maintain for as long as possible (probably 9 to 9.5 miles).

Near the end, its red zone to the finish.

As I'm starting the Chris Carmichael Time crunched cycling plan (evaluation & zones done, 1st interval session today), I've got my LT and Red (Power Interval) zones dialed in via heart rate. I'll also know by then (October) how long I can sustain inside the red zone.

Food wise, high carb snack 4 hours before, Caffiene Gel with water 30 mins before and off we go....

Glad to see the warm has been mentioned. I always felt warming up (too much) was expending much needed energy which would be required in the race.

However, when I was on my hols a couple of years back and using the gym exercise bikes, I found that it took me a full 15 mins of steady riding to reach peak power. Not sure how easy it is to replicate that before a road race other than ride a steady 5 mile route just before start......or take a turbo trainer.

I wouldn't as DK says 'smash it'....I'd work on percentages. first 10mins 80%, second 10mins, 90%, 3rd 100%,
    Last edited by Sniper; 02-07-13 at 09:24.

*waits for "what tyres/saddle/shorts/shoes/helmet/gloves for 10 mile TT" thread(s)* :/

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post

I wouldn't as DK says 'smash it'....I'd work on percentages. first 15mins 80%, second 15mins, 85%, 3rd 90%, then depending on what you've got left....95-100% last 15.
    Well no. Slightly below LT is from about 92% - 97% power/HR depending on whose measurements you use, so the idea would be to work up to 97% at about the five mile stage, ride 3.5 to 4 miles at 97% then its 101+% the rest of the way.

The course used kicks up at the end with a 300m Cat3 with the finish line at the top so by the time the finish line appears (assuming I get it right) I'm sure my eyes will be bleeding.

Its all harder than you think - my evaluation was 2 x 8 minute 94% LT intervals with 10 minutes rest between - the hardest thing to do was to keep effort that high for the duration without subconciously slacking off - and at the same time watch the Garmin / look out for potholes.

MTB'ing is so easy in comparison...
    Last edited by Stan; 02-07-13 at 09:26.

Actually I just edited that as I realised I had allowed an hour for 10 miles.......I know you're a bit quicker than that Stanley!

As you say the course makes a big difference as to where you can put in the big push and when you are able to get a rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Greenville View Post
    *waits for "what tyres/saddle/shorts/shoes/helmet/gloves for 10 mile TT" thread(s)* :/
    Not required. Club Kit with overshoes, ride on the drops, chin on the stem, elbows and knees tucked in.

Actually I just edited that as I realised I had allowed an hour for 10 miles.......I know you're a bit quicker than that Stanley!

As you say the course makes a big difference as to where you can put in the big push and when you are able to get a rest.
    The club course record is 20 mins 30 secs. I'm confident of 27 mins, aiming for 25. However, more google info reveals that for your first TT, aim for technique and effort and let the time come to you, then use the time be the measure for future endeavors (over the same course obviously).

So what course ?
    My best for our clubs V810 ,
    20 MPH average is a good starting point and harder than you think it is to maintain that.
    Especially if you have wind like we did for the clubs 25 open on sunday.

i do not see the appeal.

I wouldn't as DK says 'smash it'....I'd work on percentages. first 10mins 80%, second 10mins, 90%, 3rd 100%,

What is this 3rd 10 mins that you speak of

Quote Originally Posted by _Dirty Karlos_ View Post
    What about the 4th ?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Helks View Post
    What is this 3rd 10 mins that you speak of
    Lol. You have to appreciate Sniper is almost as old as Dalesman and Greenville.

Quote Originally Posted by _Dirty Karlos_ View Post
    Thats my strategy for Mylene Klass...

and they say northeners are not romantic.

Time trails around here seem to be, up the A40, round a roundabout, back down the A40.

What a lot of fuss about a 25 minute bike ride...