UCI World Cup why do we not have any good GB riders?

Swiss, French, Czech, German all top of their game but Great Britain sort of suck at mountain biking. Is it the fault of British Cycling ploughing all of the money into making Olympic track cyclists and then feeding the Sky monster?

Just made me wonder why we couldn't put some of that cycling talent onto a mountain bike.

(Does look like they may be doing this with Grant Ferguson unless he goes the route of say Tiernan Locke another promising MTB rider going the route of the Road)

(( Edit: I know we have some amazing riders in the like of Oli Beckingsale, Liam Killen, Annie Last but they're not a the forefront of international riding like we have in most every other cycling discipline. ))
    Last edited by William of the Hearted Bl; 18-06-13 at 18:23.

I believe that BC view MTBing as an irksome little sibling. Look at the utter lack of publicity for the Atherton's DOUBLE at Fort Bill. If it had been track/road World stuff, they'd have been crowing about it.

Lack of Publicity? Christ compared to the XC World Cup the Pyjama wearers are treated like superstars.

Senior Member Stephanos Wephanos's Avatar
    The British focus on mountain biking is very different to the rest of the continent. Most French, German, Belgium etc etc riders are more into the XC scene, with carbon Scott scales matching lycra kit and basically having stuff which is fast over fun. The British approach to mounatinbiking is more fun orientated and seems to focus more on technical riding hence the reason for British success in Downhill.

At least this is my take on it.

I would strongly dispute that riding XC isn't fun...but then again that's what I ride, I would say that.

I'm pretty impressed by Bike Magic having XC World Cup stuff on their front page, all the other regular MTB outlets seems to treat XC as some form of high speed Leprosy.

Quote Originally Posted by William of the Hearted Bl View Post
    Lack of Publicity? Christ compared to the XC World Cup the Pyjama wearers are treated like superstars.
    Indeed but there wasn't owt in t'national media. TBH, I was hoping for a bit more coverage of XC after, what seemed to be, an impressive Olympic coverage. Never mind, Match of the Day is still going........ :/

It's been a while since you had any interest in MOTD. :-p

I agree with the black hearted one. The coverage is non-existent from TV, interwebs, papers etc and the UCI seem to treat it like the bastard love-child it would like to forget about - BC are even worse. You can get info, results etc on the BC website but it carries far less detail than even BMX.

From what I've seen in other countries, the domestic racing scene is both healthier and better organised with stricter licence rules to stop folk riding down a category. Over here we seem much more interested in the 'endurance' type events but these are all seemingly run as individual races. If all were 'recognised' by BC or another body you could treat them all as rounds in a championship.

This is also where normal XC racing seems to fall flat. Other than the NPS, other meets are either one-offs or part of a small, local series. If the sport had a more joined-up approach I'm sure it would help the sport and riders themselves develop and evolve.

Perhaps it's too simplistic a viewpoint but it's how I see things as they stand.