Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

iPhone runny runny long time

Most specifically running strava for a long time.

Got a six hour ride tomorrow guessing something between 60 and 90km, it's my only way of measuring my speed and time etc now I don't use my Cateye wired computer.

Any tips on making it last that long. Turn off blue tooth, make it go into do not disturb mode, isn't there a setting somewhere where you can tell it to stop looking for a ntewrok...seem to rememeber someone telling me to do that as down in cornwall land, batteries die quicker as they're constabntly searching for o2.

muchos gracias

Although I don't know about Strava, with Endomondo which works similarly you can turn everything but the GPS off (data, wireless, WIFI etc) and it can still track your location. I used mine abroad once as a test where I had everything off to avoid data charges and it got the location fine, and matched to a map once it uploaded. You may wish to keep data on while its getting its initial location fix, but after that it should be ok. Make sure the screen goes off quickly, and you should then get a serious amount of runtime out of the phone. Probably best to do a test today with it all turned off to see how it manages though.

If you are wanting to check on your progress through the ride just remember that the screen is the biggest drain on the battery of a mobile when it is on, so keep the checks to an absolute minimum, and shut the screen down straight away afterwards rather than waiting for the timer to turn it off.

Buy a Garmin.

erm...lend us a tenner!

That's a new mech, a spare pair of 29er RoRo's

Far too many other things I need to buy before I can be 'frivolous' with my cash! I have asked the missus' though and she might club up with other at Christmas to get me one.

Can you put in a route into them and they tell you left and right etc? That would be wicked handy as I often get lost in the back lanes.

Nope, the onlt one that does that is the 800 or 810, which is s

been really trying to justify one, but its just the mapping i need, the rest is just info for fun, i do not want HR, or power or cadrance,

been looking at the Brytons which are slightly cheaper. But not much. Just do not want a smartphone on the bars, plus as you say the battery life is hard to acheive, although the new Sony has a funtion to turn everything off apart from calls, text and leave GPS on.

I could always go back to Cateyes and an excel spreadsheet to see how much better/worse my year is going but I do like how you can sort of see where you're at with strava and the like.

So far I think i've managed to turn everything off, I'll leave it charging in the van right up until I have to go to the start line I reckon. Googling it an iPhone 4 should last about 5hrs just running strava, it's in my back pocket for that duration so fingers crossed it'll last!

Actually, you can put routes into most Garmins - it's the mapping that you can't.

It simply shows the route as a black line with you as an arrow on (or off) it. It is also possible to pick up an earlier model - say the 705 - which can take open source (free) mapping too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
    Actually, you can put routes into most Garmins - it's the mapping that you can't.

It simply shows the route as a black line with you as an arrow on (or off) it. It is also possible to pick up an earlier model - say the 705 - which can take open source (free) mapping too.
    You can also get turn by turn mapping on the 500. It's something to do with the source file (ie a tcx or gpx file) containgbthevright data having been saved in the right way. Our club 100k route had this and it worked fine on my 500 with big directional arrows as well as the black line to follow.

Not sure of the details but you just need to create / open a route in something not proprietary to Garmin and save with the right options ticked, upload to the device and job done.

i found it in 5 mins of googling.

Nobby&Stam top stuff...I plan all of my routes using Bike Route Toaster ... I know that can export to various file extensions. Could be worth a punt on one of the cheaper models...I saw that it can map "courses" but i'm not certain what these were...to be fair they so bloody unaffordable to me I haven't really looked at the different models.

As for the phone it went 5:30+ of riding running only strava and was over 50% full by the end of it...not sure it could do a 24hour ride but I'm going to give it a go!

Correct Stan, you need the files converted to a .tcx (Garmin course) one then send it to the unit via Training Centre or Garmin Connect.

Whilst I've not tried it myself, I believe that nowadays you can import a standard .gpx file into Connect then convert it & send it to the unit from there.

edit: just had a quick look & that does work - you can also map out your own courses & upload 'em to the unit.
    Last edited by Nobby; 12-05-13 at 06:56.

Thanks stan:

I think this is the one I'm going to go for when I've saved up the money for one, plus being black and red it matches my bling stylings :-)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=82251

Gayer. .

Apparently having red in your line of vision makes you significantly quicker.

Real science and everything it was in Cycling Weekly.

So my blood-shot eyes help?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
    So my blood-shot eyes help?
    Vision, I think you're doing it wrong.

Lol - must be the reflection in my lenses. :-/

lol that sizzles of my mind everytime i start of the visit here

I like what you have done there, put all the words in a bag and pull them out at random.

Quote Originally Posted by Lur'bak View Post
    I like what you have done there, put all the words in a bag and pull them out at random.
    Dalesmans Troll, obviously.