Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Giro d'Italia 2013

Interesting interview with Wiggo in today's Telegraph has whetted my appetite to watch it for the first time. I might not be a roadie and almost certainly never will be, but adore Le TDF so think this night be a good warm up for this years TDF.

Wiggo reckons this is a far more extreme race with 3 weeks of carnage ahead! He reckons hes in top shape and He's even shaved off his sidies for additional speed.

1.5 hours a night on sky sports..... Have recorded the series so I can tune in late and whizz thru the adverts.

Is it on pleb-vision anywhere?
    Last edited by oldnick; 04-05-13 at 22:53. Reason: Can't spell
    There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate tyres

http://www.steephill.tv/giro-d-italia/
    Is where its at live, if you end up with a screen full of adds on the english version use it for commentary and open an Italian one for the video turn the sound off on the video.
    Logical

Well the 1st stage didn't disappoint with spectacular views of the Bay of Naples, plenty of crashes and Cav finishing in style to nick the pink jersey on the line. The guy who came second (Elia Viviana) must have hurt his hand, as he was bashing his bars sooo hard in frustration!

No highlights tonight?
    aka Sean / Sandeep / Sylvian / Seamus....

Stage 3 was fantastico! Several of the main contenders fighting it out in the lead group coming down the mountain was most unexpected - especially this early in the race.
    Pootleist

Which team are on drugs this year then?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
    Stage 3 was fantastico! Several of the main contenders fighting it out in the lead group coming down the mountain was most unexpected - especially this early in the race.
    I watched the highlights last night - fantastic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BHB 10.6.6 View Post
    Which team are on drugs this year then?
    All of em according to JG on STW. He has all the data to provide evidence that they're all on it.....despite the fact that would mean a huge conspiracy with Team GB/Sky etc.

Its all to do with the amount of power being generated apparently, which indicates more than is possible without a few cans of red bull, or something else!

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    All of em according to JG on STW. He has all the data to provide evidence that they're all on it.....despite the fact that would mean a huge conspiracy with Team GB/Sky etc.

Its all to do with the amount of power being generated apparently, which indicates more than is possible without a few cans of red bull, or something else!
    I agree with most of that to be honest (well maybe not the Data...Gourette's probably got more credence that USADA but still), it inconceivable to believe nobody out there isn't still at it...wouldn't want to say anything specific about Team GB/ Sky but if you come out and say you're going to fire anyone on your team that has doped, had knowledge of doping or been on team that has had knowledge of doping I reckon we would have a few less CBE's, Coaches and yellow jerseys.

Edit....Ooh hadn't seen the recent news that's been kicking around that Brailsford isn't very happy about the reports that he had hired a Doctor for Team SKY that was well known for Doping Offences.
    Last edited by BHB 10.6.6; 07-05-13 at 14:53.

FFS

Can't we just talk about the cycling rather than bang on, and on and on, and on, oh and on like old women about doping?

Its becoming possibly more boring than the 29 vs 26 debate.

<yawns>

Because it's the most interesting thing about Road Cycling Stan.

Oh, that and what Peter Sagan will do next over the line / on the podium.

Another great stage today, great breakaway which almost made it but was gobbled up 100m from the line. These guys make me feel tired just watching them....the fitness levels are unbelievable!

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    FFS

Can't we just talk about the cycling rather than bang on, and on and on, and on, oh and on like old women about doping?

Its becoming possibly more boring than the 29 vs 26 debate.

<yawns>
    Well said Stan , the one person who may well be on something is the commentator on Sky , I don't know who he is , but he seems to get very excited very easily .

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Helks View Post
    Well said Stan , the one person who may well be on something is the commentator on Sky , I don't know who he is , but he seems to get very excited very easily .
    Lol. I watched last nights highlights and was puckering up myself at the speed they were coming down in the rain, but he (david something?) was really on it - I thought we were going to hear a "thud" followed by silence for a second there....

Cav's metaphors just get better & better
    Pootleist

I'm a day behind on watching now, due to late night highlights and visits to the (ahem) Pub. So last nights was another exciting finish with a nice narrow bendy run in combined with wet tarmac! Great crash took out almost everyone, leaving a couple of riders to race it out to the finish........classic stuff!

Reminded me of that Grand national in the 60's when everyone fell and the 100-1 shot won.

I'm trying to watch as much of this race as I can to get an understanding seeing as I'm new to the sport but some things the commentators say I don't understand. Can any of you guys explain to me how the climbing and intermediate sprints work please? I understand the GC obviously and I understand you get points for climbing and sprinting...but how do these work? Are there certain points where a sprint takes place, from a to b, and the first between them wins?

Thats right Sam. There are certain sections, sometime including the end of the stage which are designated way points. These are designated as "climbs" or "sprint" finishes. Points are scored for 1st 2nd etc. Therefore if a certain part of a course (say 75k along) has a sprint in it, all the guys going for the sprint competition will want to be at the front and going for that particular line to earn more points than their peers. Same with climbs.

Time Trails are the fastest between two points but thier time is added to the GC classification, hence today Bradley - being a good time trialler - wil attempt o go faster than all his rivals to close the gap caused yesterday.

GC is just finishing the Grand Tour (in this case the Giro) in the fastest time.

So for intermediate sprint points its the first in the group to pass a designated point, not a miniature time trial so, to win the points you need to be first across not the line, not just the fastest in a certain section? For example, a sprint doesn't begin at 20km and end at 30km, in which case you wouldn't need to be in first to be the fastest in that period. Rather it is just the first person to cross the line over all?