What Bank Account...Contains incredibly boring topic

Natwest have changed their T&C's and decided that you pay 6 per month for even an arranged overdraft facility.

Bullshit will you I say...

I have two accounts one of which I believe has an overdraft facility of 500 and I tend to pay myself around a grand a month into it.

Anybody know any 'good' bank accounts, that don't charge for the use of an overdraft facility.

I believe the co-op bank are still top of consumer ratings - not sure about charges or owt.
    Pootleist

I've often considered Co-Op in that they are supposed to be a 'morally sound' i.e refuse to invest in dodgy products/dictators/coloured places/fairtrade countries yadayada. However, they were also one of the bad companies for refusing to pay Local Farmers in Devon a decent rate for their Milk...so I stopped using them after that.

The missus is on the case now, she's looking into banks on moneysupermarketexpertsavings to see what's best.

Apparently I've been told off for keeping a couple of quid in another bank account, as I had just assumed it was earning any interest which apparently it wasn't as banks don't pay it on balances like I thought they used to :-/

I'm not very financially minded....she's making us get a joint bank account too when we switch.
    Last edited by BHB 10.6.6; 30-04-13 at 21:53.

Quote Originally Posted by BHB 10.6.6 View Post
    ....she's making us get a joint bank account too when we switch.
    The end is nigh......
    Pootleist

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
    The end is nigh......
    Lol, I wrote, and abandoned a longer post with the same content. Statistically lack of financial independence is something like the second biggest reason for failure of a marital partnership.
    aka Sean / Sandeep / Sylvian / Seamus....

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Lol, I wrote, and abandoned a longer post with the same content. Statistically lack of financial independence is something like the second biggest reason for failure of a marital partnership.
    Lol Nobby and Stan, I did say something similar at the time. (well not the Statisical failure of marriages...more the oh my god I'm not even 40 I'm too young to have a joint account Oh Woe is Me I'm done for)

I think I'd probably end up with three accounts...Work, Me, and then this joint pool of Mortgage, House, food and stuff which we top up each month. Type thing.

Thats what we do - a Joint bills account where all the direct debits come out. We stick in our relative contributions when we get paid, and the rest is our own in our own personal accounts*.

*kinda
    aka Sean / Sandeep / Sylvian / Seamus....

Her Ladyship and I have always had separate accounts. I pay all the bills and transfer an agreed amount into her account for "housekeeping" or something. I don't believe that this sum is index linked to inflation, however.
    Waving at the proles.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Thats what we do - a Joint bills account where all the direct debits come out. We stick in our relative contributions when we get paid, and the rest is our own in our own personal accounts.
    Yep. Been that way as long as we've lived together.
    Pootleist

Ditto, central account for the mortgage, bills and food, contribution scaled based on our earnings to balance what we are each left with. The rest is essentially our own to do with as we please.

We bank with the co-op and they are pretty decent lot. Yes they weren't treating the farmers that well, but I don't think many were, and you have the added benefit of although they are a bank, the savers are the de-facto share holders so they aren't lining the pockets of investment companies in the same way as a lot of the other banks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Greenville View Post
    Her Ladyship and I have always had separate accounts. I pay all the bills and transfer an agreed amount into her account for "housekeeping" or something. I don't believe that this sum is index linked to inflation, however.
    Me too. Not much point in having a joint one as Mrs Sniper's income is rather insignificant.

The former Mrs sniper and I did as Stan and Nobby do, which is to have a joint account we both paid into an agreed amount and all bills came out of it. Probably an ideal arrangement for working couples who also want a degree of financial independence.