Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

spending money dilema! Why do i always do this!

OK so have had a small windfall in cash, Now we do have a large list of things that need to be done on our house, plus 2 small children, so i should place this money in the bank and use it to continue the house project, But thats dull!! yes i may get a new Double Glazed back door and a plate rack, but its not a bike.
    My wife does not want me to get a bike on 0%, and is willing to let me spend all the money, as long as i "shut up about it!"
    But what to do,
    Should i,
    1) buy a road / CX bike, i do not have one and have been thinking about one. plus could do the odd commute (could do this and spend only about 3/4s of the money)

2) Buy a new full sus, Their is one i have spoted, full bike but do not like the build, (I am a Shimano Fan) but the bike is a 100mm travel carbon jobby and i am sure i would enjoy it.

3) buy a complete new hardtail, mine is getting a bit long in the tooth, same thing applys with shaimano though.

OR
    4) indulge my obsession with a certain brand of bike and buy a 120mm travel FS frame and build it up, i can get the frame, and use parts from my HT, plus some new forks to have an amazing Aluminium XC bike. Who knows may like it so much i could sell my 150mm travel full sus by the same make,

5) indulge my obsession with a certain brand of bike and buy a hard tail frame, build it up etc etc. and have a nice light aluminium XC / trail bike.

i am rubbish at this sort of thing,

Ride as many of those options as feasible & then have another think.

"carbon jobby and i am sure i would enjoy it".

This may not be the case. I thought much the same about the the Blur but was immensely disappointed when I rode one.

What about a 650b option?

Buy a road bike...easy.

Don't get a CX unless you have already have at least 2 road bikes and 2 Mountain bikes

CX bike for me then

Quote Originally Posted by Dalesman View Post
    CX bike for me then
    Same here, I think it would fill a bit of a bike void.

Trouble is for me I'd want it to be plastic with discs but under a grand...that leaves me with only one option a boardman or wait a little longer :-/ edit: Turns out no even the Boardman was plastic...it just looked it in the pictures one of those alloys that are all bendy with invisible welds :-(

Missus isn't too keen that I've also got another 29er being built so the CX would also involve me purchasing a holiday.
    Last edited by BHB 10.6.6; 29-04-13 at 10:01.

but i see myself more CX then Road, i am not that interested in going really fast on the roads for 100s kms, more just faster then on my hardtail.

650b thing, wanted a shimano build, and a fork like a 650b Sid, not sure on the White Brothers fork, and think that even at 1400 its a bit over priced for the bike, 650b premium i guess.
    If it was a frame at arond 350 would be tempted, wonder if Singular are going to do 650b

I would say a CX is a fairly poor compromise which ever way you look at it, It's either a bad road bike or a not very capable hardtail.....unless of course you live in a place where the trails are mostly fire road and the roads are mostly dust tracks :-)

Which why I would consider them only really a good choice when you've got every kind of other bike that you want already...or want to go CX racing.

Of your options I would go for #5 as it's indulgent ( I assume it's some exotic frame builder), and it also replaces what you say is your other hardtail which is getting long in the tooth...which you can then put some slicks on and that fits the commuting duties :-)

But that's just my thoughts on the matter.
    Last edited by BHB 10.6.6; 29-04-13 at 11:29.

Well if she's only saying yes to a new bike to shut you up then she is going to be resentful on some level. I would do up the house so everybody gets the benefit rather than buying a bike where just you benefit .

Has she been onto you Neil.

if i get the hardtail frame, i loose 1.5lbs from my frame weight, (god i an anal sometimes)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=92998#

what do the road riders think?

i am 5.7, 32 inch inner leg

Quote Originally Posted by serge the seal of death View Post
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=92998#

what do the road riders think?

i am 5.7, 32 inch inner leg
    I think you are a short arse

actually that one i linked to is far to small even for me.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=75534

this looks OK.

Try a Giant.

I've heard good things said about boardman bikes, although Wiggo may disagree

His Lordship has a point.

As a newbie road cycling I tried a Spesh, Trek, Giant & Cannondale with the latter feeling 'just right' compared to the other 3. The local, seasoned roadies reckoned it was because the Cannondale has a very slightly more relaxed geometry compared to the others.

i believe their CX bikes are similar.

Why are you wasting your time......you know its going to be a nice double glazed back door!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Helks View Post
    Well if she's only saying yes to a new bike to shut you up then she is going to be resentful on some level. I would do up the house so everybody gets the benefit rather than buying a bike where just you benefit .
    This is where I am.

Serge, forget the wheel size debate. Do what Nobby says and ride a bike, pick the one that you like.

If you remember I did option 4, and have never been happier than with the ASR-5. Don't underestimate a hack build either - I love and have lots of fun on my kineses SS (weren't you interested in one?), which cost me 140 and the use of some spares from the mancave.

Also don't underestimate the Road bike. It seriously addictive, has massive "get on, ride, go indoors" convienience when the weather isn't so good instead of all that cleaning and adds a different dimension to riding a bike and the way you/your head approaches things - not to mention a fitness increase. Its probably more different / appealing than you think. I'd go the opposite of the above - look for one of the cheaper "winter" options (ie a Ribble winter bike for 700) and try it. If you don't like it you'd be perfectly positioned to sell it when summer comes to an end and everyone wants one, and won't lose too much money, and you'll be in a good position to look at nice carbon bikes as they come on offer after the summer / TdF. Or of course you can keep both

Hey Serge - scratch your Kinesis itch with this http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/decade/tripster - stick some 25/28mm road tyres on it and use of for work / after work as you say. Read the review underneath.

Uh oh, or this http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/racelight/t2

I think I just found the winter bike I want.... that racelight looks awesome for the cash....