Thread: Geocaching

Geocaching

Good fun, especially with kids. Will have to incorporate a bit of caching on rides.

AKA... Dartmoor letterboxing for lazy wankers with GPS

Hmm. Never done it, so can't be judgmental but all the peeps I've met, who are into this malarky, seem a bit odd...

Yeah, some people get really geeky about it.

"Dartmoor letterboxing" sounds like it should be in the Urban Dictionary. I was told about "Exeter Volcanoes" recently, which isn't an entry in UD but involves a post- rugby team bath and, well, you can probably guess the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Trim Goulash View Post
    Yeah, some people get really geeky about it.

"Dartmoor letterboxing" sounds like it should be in the Urban Dictionary. I was told about "Exeter Volcanoes" recently, which isn't an entry in UD but involves a post- rugby team bath and, well, you can probably guess the rest.
    Yes.......!

Geocaching? An interesting diversion for people who own metal detectors.

The trouble with geocaching on a bike ride is the ride takes nearly twice as long

It may be fun with a map and compass, but GPS ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalesman View Post
    It may be fun with a map and compass, but GPS ?
    Oh, I don't know - the idea of using multi-million dollar satellite technology to locate hidden Tupperware appeals to my sense of the absurd! Like Jen says though, it does tend to get in the way of a decent long bike-ride...

Let the non-believing muggles mock for all they're worth. I've been hunting tupperware for five years and found 1015. Even made a bit of an income guiding paying punters to the more remote caches in the Dark Peaks.

Muddy Bronco is me on geocaching.com Anybody else want to poke their user name above the parapet?
    Last edited by Bobby Charlton; 08-05-13 at 08:48. Reason: Being a w*anker.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Charlton View Post
    Let the non-believing muggles mock for all they're worth. I've been hunting tupperware for five years and found 1015. Even made a bit of an income guiding paying punters to the more remote caches in the Dark Peaks.

Muddy Bronco is me on geocaching.com Anybody else want to poke their user name above the parapet?
    Er, tony1x1 (I never have been very original when it comes to user names... ), 443 found.

But just to prove my point about how caching can eat into your cycling time, I did 50 miles last Tuesday in 3 hours 57 minutes according to Mr Cateye, but was actually out for 7 hours. I passed a pleasant 30 minutes sat outside the pub enjoying a pint, the rest of the time was spent looking for Tupperware / 35mm film containers / magnetic doodahs etc. ...

Another original name here too - JenJ57 - and I have to confess to leading tony1x1 astray. 468 found, but still need to log some from Monday