Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

If that rides anything like the handjob it'll be one hell of a bike.

That used to be my dream frame, so tempted.

Quote Originally Posted by _Dirty Karlos_ View Post
    That used to be my dream frame, so tempted.
    If you've got the cash go for it. If you haven't. SELL YOUR SOUL.

」750 is a very very expensive bottle opener

It's outdated Ti - plastic HTs are the here, the now and the foreseeable future.

I love how Ti rides, and that is/was VERY nice to ride when I tested one.

I've been riding my Enigma lately. The way it rides is awesome - lots of control and lightweight, but also a subtle dampening effect. If that Cove is anything like that I'd buy one (if I was on the market for one that is).

Pretty much, I had the pleasure of riding a Hummer around Glentress and Innerleithen, it felt very lively, springy and very comfortable for a HT. In fact, my old Columbus tubed Cove Handjob was just as good, albeit a tad heavier. I love Cove hardtails but alas, I am not in the market for a new HT.

Conversely, the LBS owner has a Merlin that's uber stiff and not the 'soft' ride other frames give.

It's outdated Ti
    Nobby - quick! Mike Spence has stolen your login. It's no more outdated than any other metal. As with all things, it comes down to what you require from a ride - Ti fits that brief for some folk, carbon for others, steel for those that like to keep it...er...real and aluminium for those with chains on their wallets...

Some Alu bikes also have a spring in their step, my old Cindercone, and my current Arc
    Where as my old Giant XTC used to rattle my teeth out!

Some Alu bikes also have a spring in their step
    Exactly. I think it mostly comes down to the frame design as to how it feels, though the contact points and tyre pressures can make far more difference than any butting process, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Frii View Post
    Exactly. I think it mostly comes down to the frame design as to how it feels, though the contact points and tyre pressures can make far more difference than any butting process, IMO.
    Most definitely, that's twice I've agreed with you in one day, fancy a tug?

That'd be smashing...

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Frii View Post
    Nobby - quick! Mike Spence has stolen your login. It's no more outdated than any other metal. As with all things, it comes down to what you require from a ride - Ti fits that brief for some folk, carbon for others, steel for those that like to keep it...er...real and aluminium for those with chains on their wallets...
    I read it as, for what it used to be it's outdated.

I.e. back in the day, Ti was the bestest and the lightest, nowadays that's carbon fibre.

I.e. back in the day, Ti was the bestest and the lightest, nowadays that's carbon fibre.
    But it's not, is it. It's a different material, is all. Some have it as the best thing since disc brakes, some doubt its strength and claim it as fragile. Some like the ring of metal as opposed to the dull thud of resin and coal. As on the other thread - choice is good. Folk claiming something is outdated, shit or any other cliched turn of phrase is simply looking no further than their own wants, needs or desires.

And further, as on said thread - endless discussion is wank, so I'm out.

: )

But it's not, is it.
    Well, yes it is. It really is undisputed if you want to build the strongest, stiffest, lightest Car/Plane/Bike/Yacht it will be made from plastic...because, well it just is the best material for building strong and light things.

That is not to say it would make the best touring bike, or the most springy twangy trail bike, or for that matter a cheap and light xc bike but that's not what I said :-)

I'm not sold on the strongest, personally. I have some bars that are starting to, well, I can't really tell, but it doesn't look too clever and they're not that old, just heavily used. As for strength to weight, I agree, but it isn't the most comfortable, as you quite rightly allude to.

What I should have said is that it isn't outdated per se - it isn't, as you claim, used in the XC market anymore, but then I don't think that's its best use - better for touring and road use IMO. I think Ti is slightly too fragile in its lightest incarnations to be of any decent use off-road, and I'm still not sold on carbon being much better when rocks are involved.

I've also heard tales of creaking carbon frames that have been punished for a term, possibly due to delamination, but that's just urban jibber-jabber at the moment...

But...fuck off...stop getting me to respond to this bollox...shut up for now

: )

What I should have said is that it isn't outdated per se - it isn't, as you claim, used in the XC market anymore, but then I don't think that's its best use - better for touring and road use IMO.
    Back in the 1990's that's the only place you had to go material wise everyone lusted after some exotic merlin frame...that honour for the jeyness at least goes to carbon.

I still have a thing for steel, I would love a proper steel frame again but can't justify buying one. I have an Aluminiun Road bike/ carbon fork/bar/post thing...which is bizarrely a little more comfortable than the fully plastic road bike.

As for carbons strength, I don't even bother protecting my frames anymore, they are just utterly nails and I'm not exactly one for preening over my bikes they get treated like bikes and take rock hits as well as if not better than metal frames which tend to dent!

Gah, you got me talking again...

When I write about carbons lack of strength I'm going on firsthand failures due to damage but it depends, as usual, on what area gets bashed or gouged. The frame creaking story comes from a guy who races and, TBH, puts his bikes through more than the average rider, so I'd expect issues to arise earlier.

But, whilst making my coffee, I remember thinking about 'grown' steel as the next bike frame marketing crap. I watched a programme in which Rolls Royce were growing their impellers (?) for strength. Apparently, once set-off, the strongest crystal will get to the mould first, assuring the strength of the component. I reckon we'll have 'grown' metal frames in the future, not to mention the 3D printer-formed Ti dropouts I recently spotted being the forerunner of many a bike component. That's the future IMO, but then I like metal in all its forms. I also like carbon; sporting many components made from the wonder-plastic, but I think it'll show its limits given more time.
    Last edited by Hans Frii; 26-04-13 at 11:37.