Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

So this Heart Rate Malarkey...

I have realised why I've never implemented any of Joe Friels Triathlete/ MTB racing Bible stuff as trying to read them is like wading through treacle, I really struggle to get anything useful out of them whatsoever :-/ But this year as every year I say I might actually be a bit more thoughtful in preparation for the 24hour jobbies rather than just doing lots and lots of "Junk Miles".

So for the first time I strap on a HRM and went for a ride...The ride was pretty shit to be fair sections flooded and the MotoX Helmet/Skiing Goggle brigade were as ever, reluctant to be overtaken...and I sort of relapsed and cleaned the house out of gin so lap times of my local haunt were pretty slow, alas I have no other data to compare for instance I know a few weeks back I got quite close to last years personal bests.

So my heart rate says Min 55 Av 162 and Max 197 this over 41km on the mountain bike Avg speed 18kmh.

So tell me what am I supposed to do with that?

Am I deep in the Zone to max out power volume Zone A?

help :-)

Read this then use Google/joe to realise your training....

http://m.bikeradar.com/fitness/artic...yclists-28838/

It all reads like Chinese video instructions :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Read this then use Google/joe to realise your training....

http://m.bikeradar.com/fitness/artic...yclists-28838/
    Well I was OK with that until he put this

“Don’t forget that your max HR figure is sport specific,” says Fletcher. “This means that your maximum on a bike will invariably be much lower than it is when you're running because the bike is taking some of your weight.”

Fcuking tool you only have one Max HR thats the maximum it will physical go to.

I think he means if you've got a heart rate of 180bpm on a bike it might be a big effort but for running a heart rate of 180bpm might just be a fairly steady jog.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalesman View Post
    Well I was OK with that until he put this

“Don’t forget that your max HR figure is sport specific,” says Fletcher. “This means that your maximum on a bike will invariably be much lower than it is when you're running because the bike is taking some of your weight.”

Fcuking tool you only have one Max HR thats the maximum it will physical go to.
    I thought that was a pretty well accepted fact , my max on a bike is 162 and I have to destroy myself to get to that but I can run at 175+ quite comfortably and for a pretty long time .

Senior Member Stephanos Wephanos's Avatar
    You need to find your maximum heart rate...

You can do this by having a Cardiac Stress Test, or you can use one of the many formulas Which in essence are 220 - (Age). There are many different ones but there is a chance of variation it's not that accurate and gives more of an idea.

When you've decided what your Max Heart rate is then you should aim to do between 65% to 80% for Cardio training, and 50% to 65% for fat burn. Warm up should be around the 50% mark.

That's it in a nut shell. How long etc all depends on other things and what you want out of it.

BTW before I get flamed this is basic in a nutshell numbers as yes reading all the gubbings is a little like wading through treacle.
    Last edited by Stephanos Wephanos; 25-03-13 at 12:44. Reason: For small disclaimer

No he says HRmax is sport specific when its not.
    If you want to train a muscle [which the heart is] you have to use it at specific thresholds, in order to work say your bicep at 20% of its max capacity for work [for a set period in time] you have to know its max capacity for work.
    Same with the heart

Here's the true way to find your HRmax

The maximum heart rate (HRmax) is the highest heart rate an individual can achieve without severe problems through exercise stressand depends on age. The most accurate way of measuring HRmax is via a cardiac stress test. In such a test, the subject exercises while being monitored by an ECG. During the test, the intensity of exercise is periodically increased through increasing speed or slope of the treadmill, continuing until certain changes in heart function are detected in the ECG, at which point the subject is directed to stop. Typical durations of such a test range from ten to twenty minutes.

Standard textbooks of physiology and medicine mention that heart rate (HR) is readily calculated from the ECG as follows: HR = 1,500/RR interval in millimeters, HR = 60/RR interval in seconds, or HR = 300/number of large squares between successive R waves. In each case, the authors are actually referring to instantaneous HR, which is the number of times the heart would beat if successive RR intervals were constant.

Conducting a maximal exercise test can require expensive equipment. People just beginning an exercise regimen are normally advised to perform this test only in the presence of medical staff due to risks associated with high heart rates. For general purposes, people instead typically use a formula to estimate their individual maximum heart rate.

BTW if you want an expert on the subject you need to speak to

I might try a films worth of "Zone 2" (even the thought of using the term Zone makes me feel uneasy) on the exercise bike tonight...

Which by my reckoning would be in the 130-140bpm there or thereabouts which by my best guess will be be a high cadence 53-16 on the lowest resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by BHB 10.6.6 View Post
    I might try a films worth of "Zone 2" (even the thought of using the term Zone makes me feel uneasy) on the exercise bike tonight...

Which by my reckoning would be in the 130-140bpm there or thereabouts which by my best guess will be be a high cadence 53-16 on the lowest resistance.
    Sounds about right. Well, when I say right, I mean that's the kind of workout I do on the turbo using the HR zones the HRM calculates based on my max*.

*Calculated using the vomit test.

I watched 'Paul' at conversation pace...rather enjoyable (the cycling not the movie. I seem to remember it being funnier, but then it dawned upon me Spaced and Shaun of the Dead were really the brightest points in their careers)

I watched 'Paul' at conversation pace...rather enjoyable (the cycling not the movie. I seem to remember it being funnier, but then it dawned upon me Spaced and Shaun of the Dead were really the brightest points in their careers)
    Although my experience of Turbo Trainers lasted about 2 hours (boredom) and that I am trying desperately not to react to the weather situation and start TT'ing again, I find I prefer my Z2's outside as it allows me to sit up, look around and enjoy the view much more.

I also wonder about ANY of the exercising I'm doing for performance gains is enough; judging by Endo my averages over 18 months of road biking have fallen by 1/2 a KMPH. Then again, if you factor in the weather conditions (Sept '11 to March/April 12 was quite dry/less ice) and the fact I discovered Z2 after that period perhaps I'm actually riding faster with less effort in reality. I've also changed up my routes to include some Cat 4's that I wasn't riding before so that impacts things.

There are some may variables, FWIW I can't seem to get over 18mph average, ever. :-/

You mean as a ride average?

I find riding alone I topped out at 30km average over 40km and only in a fast group has that ever gone to 35km over the same route...I had put that down to that pelaton drag thing (though I believe the A group can take that up to 40km :-@).

The weathers looking good this week..might get out on the road bike, I've seen a really 'nice' route which takes in most of the recent Tour of Britain (on Dartmoor and Sidmouth)Cat climbs...not sure what I'll have to do to stay "in the Zone"
    Last edited by BHB 10.6.6; 26-03-13 at 10:11.

You mean as a ride average?
    Yep. I've done 30.1kmph once, 29kmph at 50/70k lots of times in the summer, but 2012 aka winter sees me closer to 27.5kmph regulalry, and 25 to 26 in Z2 - all solo.

I am a pussy in the wet corners / downhills though so maybe that explains it.

Interestingly on Club rides I'm averaging 27.5/28 but the group tends to ride hard on the up/flats which kills my legs and then coast on the downs - where I could make up much time.
    Last edited by Stan; 26-03-13 at 10:32. Reason: remembered something.

Probably and the fact it's winter, you're riding a heavier bike, more clothes, slow down on descents more, and the fact it's winter!

I'm trying to find the figures, I'm sure there is magic speed under that speed and then drag has very little effect on your efforts, hit a speed and then something like 90.8929*% of your power goes into simply pushing the wind out of the way, effectively you're riding into your own headwind.

I did find this graph though apparently to ride at 25mph you're looking at pushing 300Watts...thats quite a few shredded wheat.

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/cycl...formance-40874

*(Dylan school of statistics data collection)

Heart rates are for puffs.

Quote Originally Posted by _Dirty Karlos_ View Post
    Heart rates are for puffs.
    Karlos the secret Twilight fan.

Karlos the secret Twilight fan.
    PMSL

Tis all power meters now ;-)

Probably and the fact it's winter, you're riding a heavier bike,
    I bought a bike which was 3lbs lighter last September :-/