new member needs adv on budget panniers and bags

Hi All

I'm new on this forum and other than riding the 12mile round trip to work everyday I am new to biking and in the dark ages when it comes to equipment and stuff.

I have an old Trek 4100 mountain bike rigid forks and hard tail.
    I want to cycle the downs link (Guildford Surrey to Steyning WestSussex) and stay overnight in a campsite.

Therefore I need a set of bags and pannier. My camping gear is minimal as am already an avid walker and wild camper. But I need advise on Panniers. My budget is very low.

I have seen a make called Avenir that do several types of panniers and bags. Are they a universal fit?

I'm pretty sure all panniers will fit on all racks. Waterproof panniers make life a lot easier if you're touring, but can be expensive. The other option is put your kit in lightweight drybags in the panniers. I believe Avenir are a Raleigh brand.

I had some of the waterproof Avenir bags that I picked up on eBay years ago for a very reasonable price and they are tough and really do keep out the rain. They were a fraction of the cost of the premier brands' options too. Not so many 'features' and were a bit heftier but no really a problem. And Jen is correct; Avenir is a Raleigh brand.

Ok thanks for all the help. I am however interested in how the racks fit onto the bike as there seem to be several types.

My wheels are 26" so can get one in that size but was wondering about how it fits to the frame at the top of the rack. Some racks seem to have longer prongs and from the pictures some of them have adjustable prongs and others seem to have shorter prongs which are fixed. Some are doglegged and some have less metalwork on the downward legs so not sure if the bags would fit onto those types. I might have to just call the shop and ask them.

Its always good to call in a bike shop, you usually come away with something good. Me I've just lashed out on a new seat post

You'll find that racks are adjustable so should fit any bike. And it doesn't really matter about the shape of the downward legs, as panniers hook onto the horizontal rail at the top of the rack.