Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brake Pad matrial

So need to get some new pads for my full sus, as mine seem to have a distint lack of bite, do not know if its the pads, or contamination, or the fluid needs to be changed and the brakes serviced.
    But what with Organic, Sintered and now Kevlar what do people advise, i have never really botherd much, I think i have sintered in at the moment, but i want that power feel, and as i am unsure if the brakes are working properly i may still be fine with these, but Organic or Kevlar may be good for the power, but bad on wear rate,

Any feelings, the Brakes are formula RX

I think it depends on where & how you ride.

My FS currently has organic pads up front (for stopping power) and sintereds on the rear (longevity) as the rear tends to be used more often to scrub speed but locks easily.

Quite a few rave about the 'kevlar'pads but I can't bring myself to use anything of a safety critical nature from Superstar.

I always go for organic resin pads - they may not last as long as sintered but I personally prefer the feel (that's with shimano btw).

uberbike prices look very keen.
    i think i may try Kevlar ones.

Matrial????

yes i know. Material, i seem to have stupidfingers, although your mum liked them.

I found the kevlar ones wore out too quick in mucky conditions, 20 miles in one case, so no better than organic.

I tend to stick to sintered now, unless the weather is definitely going to be good (abroad somewhere hot) when I would use organic for the nicer feel.

Quote Originally Posted by serge the seal of death View Post
    yes i know. Material, i seem to have stupidfingers, although your mum liked them.
    No worries, I also have stupid fingers. Off for tea to me Mam's tonight, I'll give pass on your regards.

Sintered, for me and manufacturers ones no Superstar here no thank you.

BTW try taking your old pads out and cooking them gas mark 6 or use a blow torch on them. Burns oil out and brings em back up to par.

Superstar pads on all my bikes these days.

Are you sure you're from Yorkshire?

OK Sintered then, and a brake service plus clean of discs, will let you know how they get on.

F&*k It, i will buy both. its not alot of money after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalesman View Post
    BTW try taking your old pads out and cooking them gas mark 6 or use a blow torch on them. Burns oil out and brings em back up to par.
    I do this regularly, any excuse to get the blowtorch out. I'm yet to find any aspect of bike maintenance that requires my chainsaw however.

(Not bike bike related but I cut my mate's playstation 3 up good with my chainsaw t'other week :-)

Bar width adjuster ?

Check the calliper is lined up perfectly, easy to do with the pads out.

It's one of those jobs that gets overlooked because it shouldn't need doing again, but can make a lot of difference for free.

I had the usual Juicy 5 problem of stupidly sqeaky sintered pads on the rear (for some reason the front always worked fine) and tried everything. I cleaned caliper, rotor, everything!, re-aligned, new pads, etc... but the noise would appear within 2 rides and the sintered pads were glazed and utterly useless within 4-5 rides, still with 90% of pad material. I then decided to try organic which I have found to work quietly, efficiently and with decent pad life. Unless you are riding through sand, I'd recommend organics for the extra effectiveness without a massive hit on pad life.

Shimano dual compound as OEM here. Work brilliantly, but as noisy as hell when wet. A bit like Britney during a back door session....

was out tonight and the brakes are rubbish, stop but not sharp, so def need to do something.

so went for sintered for the hardtail, as i managed to get greese and chain lube on the rear disc and screw up the pad, (note degreser spray and finish line wet chain spray are good but really hard to keep off your brakes)
    and sintered for the full sus plus a kevlar one for the front to try out.
    next its a service for the formula rx brakes on the full sus and then off we go.

Senior Member Stephanos Wephanos's Avatar
    Sintered here, work fine and last a fair wee while. Organics are nice but if the weather is bad you can loose the material in one ride