Thread: Help Please ...

Help Please ...

Currently trying out some flat pedals (borrowed DMR somethings).
    This is after years of riding SPD’s and to see if the change helps relieve some of the occasional post ride discomfort I get from a dodgy knee.
    The shoes I used at weekend were a Vibram sole hiking boot style with the SPD cover replaced, the problem is that the soles slide around on the pedal until one of the 8 pins manages to do its job and grip the treads. Bear in mind that I ride the Peak District where the trails in many parts are muddy and gluey so the shoes are great when on the ground and walking is required
    Question is ..
    What is the best shoe for flat pedals in these muddy conditions. I have never tried the flat soled shoes as I doubt they offer any grip in the circumstances, but I may be wrong.
    Any help would be appreciated, what do others ride in, when in these conditions.

Thanks for the help
    Phil.

I wear Salomon Elios mid height boots with DMRs - they grip really well, mud or dry.

Super Moderator
    Hi Phil,

I'll try and be of some help (I feel a flat pedal and shoe test coming on already):

Great new shoe and stylish too is the Vans Gravel, they are seriously grippy.

Five Ten shoes are the most popular though and they are offering quite a few models for 2013. The Impact model is a little 'clumsy' looking but probably the most robust flat shoe on the market, and of course offers their trademark 'insane amount of grip' Sticky Rubber sole.

Thanks,

James

Thanks for the replies

Do the Vans Gravel or the Five Tens offer any grip in the mud when riding gets to hard and walking becomes the only option

Cheers Phil

I may be wrong and some new idea has surfaced but AFAIK: Best soles for platform pedals = zero grip walking on wet, slippery ground. You need the knobbly grip on the ground on your tyres and then you won't need to walk...

i know its a bit taboo, but i do remember the early trials riders wearing salomons, would say that softer xc running ones may grip better if they do not cause pressure points on the foot

I have flats and all decent trail shoes are more than competent for the riding/bike+hike I do
    . Big fan of Salomons, although their pricing has gone a bit insane as of late.
    Rage rage, against the dying of the light