Thread: DIY Greenhouse

DIY Greenhouse

Anyone ever built one? Thinking of 'trying' to build one as I have quite a lot of timber and the Mrs wants one (too tight to buy one + they cost a lot) Whats the best glass substitute, don't fancy polythene as it is noisy if it's windy and it doesn't last. The wood I have is chestnut so offers good rot resistance and is about 5" square and 5 footish long. I assume I should build a concrete base and build off that. Thanks.
    Kiss his arse

5" square is fine for the base and frame, but far too thick for struts/mullions.

Personally, I think you should buy a second hand one from ebay, build a base to suit and simply buy any replacement glass needed and you'll save yourself some much time and hassle....and probably expense.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTIMATE-G...item256f3541c4

The furthest I've gone is with making my own cold frames for our salad crops.

I'd buy one, you probably couldn't get the half of the materials for the price of one from Argos,depressing though it is.

I found this out when I wanted to build my daughter a cot.

Greenhouse, France ? Why
    Logical

Modern tunnel plastics are good
    Logical

I tried building one from bits and bobs I had. I got to the stage where I had something that looked like a scarecrow wearing a motarboard and just left it like that. It's still out there now, rotting.

get your hands on some old doubleglazing uints, normally loads of old windows around, then build a shed with loads of windows, that will be fine, or just do a hot frame.

greenhouses are really only needed to help bring young plants on to get them into the ground a few months early.

Proper tunnel polythene is UV stabilised, then you need to devise a means of tensioning it to cut the noise down.
    There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate tyres

Use corrugate plastic sheets or you can get plastic sheets that if you look at from the end on have little squares running through the length and are used in conservatory roofs etc, both can be had from b&q

That's what I made the cold frame from. Be careful to seal the ends up though...mine has now got algae/lichen stuff growing inside :-/

Great if you want your gardem to look like a Pikey yard!