Hard choices .. HELP PLEASE

Current bike is a 7 year old Specialized XC Pro, looking for a new bike with a budget of say 2000
    My style is XC/Trails, not competing or big downhills

Kind of narrowed my choices down for a new full suspension bike. Tried them all out and like them all, but now stuck, the decider maybe other peoples experiences whether good or bad.

Specialized Camber Expert
    Giant Trance X2
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
    and possibly my favourite ..
    Trek EX7

Help and maybe suggestions are very welcome

Thanks

You say you've ridden them all, did one of them not jump out at you as feeling just 'right'? How about buying the one you like the look of the most? As they're all very capable bikes and won't disappoint

The Trance / Trek are the best of the bunch with the Spec a close 3rd, and a test ride will sort out which one you prefer. You won't get too much better than those unless you find deal with a better model sub 2k. The Spec is a bit more relaxed it hard hitting focused but is still Trail orientated, Spec fsr suspension tends to wallow a little. It'd be more "fun" but slightly less "efficient" than the other two. For those three its down to a test ride IMO.

I changed to a 120mm 6 months ago. The trek and Giant were top of my list as well, until I got very luckily pointed toward an ex-demo Yeti ASR-5 for just a tad more money. I was plumping for the Trek before that.

I have heard that the Spec bikes sometimes have issues with the BB30 bottom bracket, but then again, Specialzed have a really good warranty service should something bad happen.
    aka Sean / Sandeep / Sylvian / Seamus....

Thanks for that, the Trek is my favoured choice and it looks like I can get a new one for around 1800 including SPD's, so price is on my side.

Looks like I may have to bite the bullet at weekend and go4it.

Cheers

Any Spesh fitted with a Triad doesnt wallow when set up properly, myself I'd plump for this especial;y for XC Trails.
    Logical

I used to own an EX8 and now own a Camber , albeit a 29er but there is quite a difference between the 2 bikes , the Trek is not as active as the Camber , I never used the pro-pedal on the Trek but do on the Camber . If you can go a bit extra or get a deal somewhere the Trek EX8 is a lot better specced than the EX7 but you have to draw the line somewhere and the EX9 is better again than the EX8 . I work in a bike shop and we sell Spesh and TRek and the bearing life on the Treks seems to be longer than on the Spesh also Trek do 2 medium sizes , 17.5 and 18.5 so depending on your size Trek may fit better . All you mention are great bikes and I don't think you will be disappointed with whichever you choose .

Hi Neil

Thanks for that, it was very helpful.
    I would love a Trek EX8, but its 300 outside of my already broken budget.
    Might try and ring round tomorrow and see if paying cash will get me any money off.

Managed to get a few bob off the EX8, and my mate is buying my XC Pro so looks like the EX8 is a happening thing.
    Gone well over the budget .. fortunately my outgoing Spesh XC Pro is the same colour as the incoming EX8 so with luck and a fair wind the Mrs wont notice.

New Trek Fuel EX8

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hodge View Post
    Managed to get a few bob off the EX8, and my mate is buying my XC Pro so looks like the EX8 is a happening thing.
    Gone well over the budget .. fortunately my outgoing Spesh XC Pro is the same colour as the incoming EX8 so with luck and a fair wind the Mrs wont notice.
    Really am pleased with my new Trek EX8 purchase, got a good price and a great service from Royles in Wilmslow.

Great advice from those who pointed me in the direction of the EX8, I am delighted with it. Thanks for the help

Phil.

fortunately my outgoing Spesh XC Pro is the same colour as the incoming EX8 so with luck and a fair wind the Mrs wont notice.

Quality.... Just the sort of thing I would have done! :-)

I would advise getting a downtube protector as the downtube on my EX8 is made from a grade of alloy not far from tin foil!

Though this could have been addressed on 2012 models