Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Immune System

Bye .

Ah, you're not wrong, I was reading the massive big Kj one in the top right hand corner which was like 1,110kj or something.

LOL Re: SITS btw :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BHB 10.6.6 View Post
    Kilojoules Stan Kilojoules not calories, 1300 Kj is about 300 calories.

I thought you need Iron to store Vitamin C which is why it's better to eat Kale, Brocolli, Greens etc as they also have remarkably high iron?
    Vitamin C helps Iron absorption, caffeine hinders it.

Another good point by GT - quality sleep is v.important as well.

and air cons aren't good either, or indeed most offices in general. Germ fests in my view,along with that irritating colleague who 'struggles' in and then infects 3 others. Nice one, you ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav. View Post
    Think your kids+plus training though is the main culprit Alex - don't know what your job is - if in contact with others/unhealthy folk, then carry the handwash with you at all times.
    I'm a teacher Gav, so staying away from others/unhealthy folk is a bit of a problem

Thanks for all the responses - some good stuff to think about. I'm going to initially try and up my fruit/veg/juice intake as I'd prefer to do things naturally but will also look into supplements.

Quote Originally Posted by The BIG GT View Post
    Diet is obviously very important but (unless I've skim-read too fast) noone has mentioned the other vital way of keeping healthy... get enough quality sleep!

All the exercise and good diet in the world does naff-all if you're not sleepy properly.
    Completely agree but unfortunately with a 3 year old who still isn't sleeping consistently I can't do much about that!

My general health has been up and down like a bloody yo-yo for a while now, the daily diet of Weetabix/sausage and bacon sandwich/pizza is taking its toll I fear.

This thread has been brilliant, it could only be improved if someone would recommend a cookbook aimed at 43 year old male culinary retards...

*the* coookbook to own would be Larouse but that's a little high end!
    Even if you despise the man the Oliver books cover a wide range of styles, If like me you grow your own vegetables and are into that kind of thing the River Cottage Veg is great, You can also find book on food foraging, again that's good for us as we live quite near the coast so we can pick a variety of lovely things along the estuary...If you really are a retard the Delia Smith 'How to cook' is good from beginner through to people looking for classic recipes. If you want to get healthy try the Cranks cookbook for vegetarians loads of great recipes including some brilliant Breads...

berocha, the vitamin stuff, been on it for 2 months, no colds, and we always have loads with kids in nursery and school.
    I am sure it works but does turn your wee neon yellow!

Bright yellow urine is just a sign that the BVitamins aren't being absorbed and just excreted straight out, though I do like berroca it tastes nice :-)

You can't really 'boost' your immune system. What we have is an immune response. Your body needs to be exposed to antigens to learn how to deal with them in the future. The healthier you are the better your body can respond though, so eating a balanced diet and getting a reasonable amount of rest would be ideal. IMO Alx, you've had a number of hours riding, inhaling god knows what bacteria and other organisms from the mud and dust, in to lungs working at 100% with a huge amount of blood flow through a very thin mucous membrane. Your lung lining may have become inflamed as a result, and more susceptible to infection. It's probably just bad luck you got sick, and you may be fine next time.

Banned
    4 weeks I've had this cold for I keep thinking yeah it's going and it keeps coming back, haven't ridden the bike since HONC and only been to the gym for some recon twice.

Think I'll try all of the above twice.

FWIW Alex I had a similiar bug, throat upper respitory sinus etc, it lasted almost 3 weeks. Going up to an altitude of 3500 metres probably didn't help neither did trying to climb big hills, wife had similiar bug but got over it in 2 weeks and didn't suffer the blood coming out the sinuses so take it easy.BTW still feeling it 2 weeks later so feet up and wait to start seriousriding/training

Senior Member Stephanos Wephanos's Avatar
    Yep eater proper like, go to bed reasonable and if you train really really hard ensure that 1 week in 4 is very easy going (short slow ride, walks but no balls out mad bastard blasts).

I've got another feckin cold. Sod the vitamins, this one's being treated with tunnocks tea cakes and talisker.

Ah Tunnocks My Dr mate says winter hasn't finished yet as far as virus's/sniffles/colds are concerned. And yet again I'm in the throws of a sore throat/burning chest whenever I ride combined with a lack of oomph - bugger

I've effectively been ill since March. Still got the remnants of chesty cough which sees me hacking up a lung at traffic light stops. Its even worse when I'm on the bike

:-/

Same here I got a cold a little bit ago and it's never gone 100% plus now I'm sneezing every half hour with bloody hayfever seemingly kicking in the first time in years

Well after 6 weeks of nasal/throat infection tooth infected tooth removal which left me with a sinus fistula and even more infection I resorted to drugs, seems to have almost cleared it up.
    I blame the Germans

Quote Originally Posted by BHB 10.6.6 View Post
    Same here I got a cold a little bit ago and it's never gone 100% plus now I'm sneezing every half hour with bloody hayfever seemingly kicking in the first time in years
    That'll be grass pollen at record levels - my contact lenses feel like sandpaper at the minute.

I tell you what, Hayfever is about with a vengence. I suffer generally but atm am on 4 doses a day (1-2 usually sorts me out) and I'm still sneezing.