Thread: Cycle GPS

Cycle GPS

Garmin seems to be the market leader and I fancy one
    But what other choices are there, what about memory map ?

I only know a couple of folk who've used something other than Garmin but both went back to 'em.

A few use their phones but there are accuracy/battery life/weather/damage issues to contend with.

If you have a good look around there are bargains to be had - some places like Handtec get hold of factory refurbished units which are sold with full kit, warranty etc but much cheapness. There's also some pretty decent open source mapping available that works with them too - Garmin Topo maps are horrendously expensive.

Just get a garmin 500, its pretty much a no brainer unless you want full Nav, in which case get the 800.

Oh FFS! I just tried to post a link to a (NOH) 705 on Handtec & my thread about mapping on here but apparently it "needs approval".

Cheers, thinking on the 800 as it would have been usefull in France for the maps, relying on the phonne was a bit hit and miss.
    Is there any compatability between Memmap maps and Garmin ? As I have the full 1-50 and 1-25 k maps for the UK.

I did a bit of research, tried to find alternatives, pre-launch I was hoping that the Bryton devices would offer a cheaper option with all the features of a Garmin. Not so unfortunately, they are just as expensive so I went for the Garmin 500, it's excellent, however, I'm already wishing I'd got the 800, simply for the mapping as my rides get longer. I'm hoping to get back on the MTB soon and up to the Lakes, Scotland etc, the 800 would just be so nice rather than taking sh1tloads of maps on a ride. Hey-ho...

The Brytons are well cheaper than Garmins . Just had a great review in MBR also . At 100 for the basic model it's almost not worth buying a regular bike computer any more .

Garmin 800 is my choice, was thinking of the Bryton but after the problems my missus has with hers I decided against one.
    Problem stems from using the built in Trek Duotrap or so we thought, advertised as working with this but doesnt, wont just recognise the cadence sensor has to be speed and cadence then some how it wont run speed and distance without the magnet on the wheel. Not picking up GPS ? yes it is as it gives track with altitude, but yesterdays ride gave a distance of 90+ miles with an average of 60 mph for a 12 mile ride at average 11-12.