KinesisUK Hell of the West Cyclo-X sportive

Head to Dartmoor on 1 July for the brand new Hell of the West. Looks a good event, reckon I might be there. Who else is up for it?

I may be there I'm not sure if doing a 100k 7 days before Twentyfour12 is sensible or not?

That's a good point BHB. What are you doing at Bonty? I'm hoping on the 12hr solo, so the 100km could be a good bit of last minute training!

24hrs again, though I hope the course is better this year or I might just pitch up the van and spectate!

I think a 9 hour steady pootle over the moor might be fun, just not sure if it counts as 24hr Solo Suicide or not!

24hrs solo?

Course is better? How do you mean? I thought the course was fantastic! Planning to do a preview of the course soon so that will shed light on any planned changes

Yes solo, I think i've done 4 of them now.

Most people I talked to about the course just felt it wasn't as good as it had been in previous years and the slog to reward ratio wasn't terribly high which just sort of got you feeling drained. Though I know a few people who really liked it they tended to be doing shorter races.

I guess courses are subjective!

Relentless, last year the course was relentless.

How hard have you been training BHB ? Do you manage to retain some sort of mass endurance stamina as you've done this before, or are you constantly doing long long rides ever weekend ?

I'd definitely say it would be a really tough course for solo, as there's few 'easy' bits where you can switch off, recover, eat gels etc. Thought it was a good technical challenge, tough climbs, hard descents, a real challenge.

I might be changing my mind after 12 hours though!!

Yeah what Nobby said!

Gav I don't train as such, I have a road ride in the week and try and get a mountain bike ride on the weekend...On sunday I was up at 7am and rode to my trails Hid a rucsac full of water bottles and food, and did lap upon lap until 1pm to try and get a solid 6hours on the saddle I ended up doing around five and half hours and 87km....but normally I ride 50-70km road and 20-30km Mountain each weekend which is good enough training to get you place in the mid 20's (Solo Male 24hours)

I've got a place in my head I want to beat this year, as last year I threw a right camp hissy fit and gave up with crippling cramps, I regretted it for about 6months.

So I am trying to do much longer rides than before. Hopefully I'll try and do a few more of those before the time comes and if family allows it I'll get a trip up to Afan where I'll try and get a 12hour session in using the campsite a base with the van.

Quote Originally Posted by David Arthur View Post
    as there's few 'easy' bits where you can switch off, recover, eat gels etc
    I don't remember any of those, in fact it was the sharp climb after cooling down in "the pits" grabbing bottles, eating a snack that really blew my legs...I think I managed to surprise even my own potty mouth going up that hill.

I liked the old long tarmac hill, with gel bins up it, you could actually spin out and eat some food! But I guess I'm just a big mincer :-)

The only 'easy' bit I was remember was weaving through the campsite! And even then, with the watching crowds, I was giving it the full gas

This event would be good to ride on the Enigma. However, I've lost my riding mojo so can't even be arsed to think about it.

Re: Training

BHB: So once you get past the say #average# 6-8h of a training ride, what keeps you going ? Obv. it must a lot of mental toughness, but curious on where the strength/stamina in the legs comes from. I know a lot of ultra runners do back to back (sat+sun) long runs to try to recreate as much as possible the race scenario, but it sounds like you are just 'normal' in your riding/training.

Do you have to also make a concious note to slow down from your usual pace or are you just doing the same so to speak but a lot longer ?

I'm no real expert on this to be honest.

I'm not a very quick/strong/fast mountain biker to start with so my average pace doesn't change that much I just sort of carry on riding, when my legs feel like jelly I ease up when I feel better I pedal harder

Training I just try and ride as hard as possible for as long as possible, that's about as much science as I get!

From what the pro's say (DA has a few recent articles kicking around) it's all about the food I reckon, just trying to keep those calories.

But that is to assume you take it seriously!