Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member MLR                                                                                             's Avatar

Cycle To Work Bike (scheme)

Part of my recovery for get my ankle and build strength into my right leg better after giving it a seriously breaking my right ankle was to start walking, or back into cycling. I don't always have time for post work/pre work ride during the week, apart from the commute time, and long rides home. I want to add this type of cycling into my life. Also read commute rides can really help fitness.
    The ride is 4 miles each way, with 2 climbs, one after a drop through the Meon Valley.
    I'm thinking about getting a road bike to commute to work on. But not really knowledgeable about this type of bikes. When younger I had a drop bar bike, but never really liked it much, tended to ride my BMX. My near 40 frame as well would not be keen on drop handles, so I guess I'm looking at flat bar bike?
    I'm using the opportunity as well to upgrade by shoes and pedals, and thinking bike budget is going to be 650-750 range. Giving me some options on buying some new gear within the scheme.
    So given my budget, anything I should look at?
    I'm all up to date with the cycle scheme.
    Cheers.

For that budget I'd be looking at a Bad Boy.
    Pootleist

I wouldn't discount a road bike completely. They're not what they used to be in terms of comfort, they are much improved nowadays and if you get one that fits it shouldn't really be much of an issue. Nobby's suggestion is a good one, I had a Badboy and loved it for the whole two weeks I owned it before it got nicked!

Maybe connsider something like the Spesh Tricross, think of it as a chunky, versatile road bike, they seem great for the money, I tried one but for some reason I can't find a Spesh bike that fits me that well.

I'd not discount a roadie either - been very surprised by my new toy. Riding on hoods is a whole new experience for me and completely different to good old drops.

I looked at lots of alternatives before getting it, including many flat bar jobbies - the BB seemed the best overall.
    Pootleist

also worth looking at the cotic road rat.

Senior Member MLR                                                                                             's Avatar
    I've been horning over Coptic stuff for a while......

A road bike would be ideal MLR. Perfect too if you want to do a little road riding outside of the ride to work, for building fitness etc.

A 'cross bike would be an option, but only really if you can justify the knobbly tyres with some off-road on your daily commute - otherwise you're carrying around extra heft. However, a modern 'cross bike with disc brakes and some fat treaded/slick tyres would be a lot of fun

Lastly, a 29er rigid mountain bike with big fat slicks could be a lot of fun, if you'd rather stick to a mtb

Flatbar CX would be my choice. The extra heft that David refers to would only serve to protect you from the very obvious country-wide breakdown of our road surfaces, although fitting 25/28mm tyres can take out the sting on occasion...

Drop bar CX with disk brakes or if you can't get on with drops, then flat bar. Got to be disks for commuting though, why anyone would want to piss around with rim brakes for anything other than road racing is beyond me.

Boardman hybrids look nice if you can bear dealing with the mongs at Halfords.

A mate of mine was eyeing-up the Boardman hybrids at the weekend - not bad for the cash.

I spotted this a few days ago. Nice bike but a bit out of your price range.

This Ridgeback is a bit closer and comes in at 22lbs. Not sure how well the frame would handle anything but road and towpaths, though...

I can recommend a Spesh Sirrus if you prefer a flat bar. Mine has carbon forks and seatstays, but has survived being loaded up for touring, ridden around Delamere Forest, and various other rough tracks.

Sirrus was the first bike I came across funny enough, followed by the badboy. Food for thought, and cheers one and all

Quote Originally Posted by Luke. View Post
    also worth looking at the cotic road rat.
    I have a roadrat - great bike

Quote Originally Posted by Alx View Post
    I have a roadrat - great bike
    What makes it great?

For me it just feels right, whether that's the geometry or frame material I couldn't say. I bought the frame second hand, put on some old xt disc brakes and built it up singlespeed. It's by far my tattiest bike but great for just getting on and riding for the sake of it.

I've toyed with the idea of a commute-specific bike for the roads a few times.

However, I now just use my old Kona hardtail with semi-slicks with a pannier rack instead. I find that it keeps me fit with the extra bit of weight, still shifts in the big ring enough that I rarely get left or overtaken by anyone except occasionally by whippet roadies in full lycra gear.

I also means that I don't have to get used to a totally different riding position when I get back on the proper bike to hit the trails.

Still can't decide what to get.

Have you test ridden any?

Going down to local shop Saturday PM, while other half is off to daughter inlaw to be's hen night.

Going to start with bad boy, but intrigued by a 'cross bike