Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member MLR                                                                                             's Avatar
    The more I look into bikes, the more I'm drawn into cyclo-cross. And in the process I've found out a guy at work is quite an accomplished cyclo-cross rider!

The bikes themselves appear to cover what I want from a daily ride, and ideal even more to ride with my other half. We tend to ride cycle ways, lanes and tracks together. This is due to the limited ability of her bike. I was limited on spend by her. This was 180, but got a 260 bike reduced in Halfords, so got her a hybrid/mountain bike/cyclo-cross in itself. Had she got her way it would have been an 89 crapper from Halfords.

But I'm starting to sense she is getting the bug a lot more, and I can see her Christams/birthday present (they are days apart) being a decent bike. Which she has been asking for years to have!

Cx bikes are versatile machines, especially now they have the option of disc brakes. I'm on the look-out for a good frame/fork combo for my final frankenbike project, just can't decide whether I really want to go for carbon...

Senior Member MLR                                                                                             's Avatar
    Would love to end up with a carbon bike, but I could come away with one with carbon forks this weekend.

Well 4 miles is a fairly short commute so really you need to decide what else you want from a bike . Cyclo cross type will do the job fine and you will also be able to use it to tour on or for light off road work , also you can fit mudguards easily on this type of bike which will be useful if you intend to commute in all weather . A hardtail mountain bike will be able to do everything a cross bike can do but will be a bit slower on the road but obviously has a lot more off road ability but big tyres and a suspension fork may well be beneficial given the awful state of some of the roads . A 29er which is a MTB with bigger wheels may well be better on the road and still have all the capability of a regular MTB . MTB gearing is slightly lower than any road type bike so if you are not massively fit you have easier gears on a MTB . As has been said already try something and see how it feels .

Ride home can easily be from 4 to anything, using trail, road etc.

Going to look at few option tomorrow. Looking forward to it!