120mm SID question

I presume 120mm SID's (2012 XX world cup) can be reduced with standard Rockshox travel reducing plastic thingies?

Ta in advance

Yes. 120's goes to 100, 100's go to 80.

If you get a set without spacers you can have mine, I'll never use them.

Why not buy 100's and carry less material around?

Believe so oldnick, found this on a SID service pdf: "All Travel spacers are located just above the top out bumper washer (SID) or between the base plate and negative piston (SID120/Reba/Revelation). If you want to change the travel of your fork, install the travel spacer(s) onto the Dual Air shaft to
    decrease travel, or remove them to increase travel."

Have a look here http://www.sram.com/sites/default/fi...cal-manual.pdf

P14 is what you want. Trust me, I've recently done all this over on STW, and bought / installed some SID's.

I've done the travel reducing on some revs so that holds no fears, plus 110mm might be the way to go on the anthem.

Just seen a cracking offer on some XX World Cup Dual Air 15mm Maxle SID's

The feel of new toys arriving -priceless. For everything else - there's Barclaycard...

Be carefull of the world cups. The advice I got is that the damper is stiffer and less forgicing for racing. I went for the RLT's with the motion control DNA damper for that reason.

Don't the XX still have blackbox?

Oh God. Started looking at the options and think I want the RCT3 with tapered steerer and 15mm Maxle.

Or a lie down.

Or preferably both.

Am I right in thinking the RCT3 has the choice of open/platform/locked whilst the RLT has open/locked with floodgate to adjust (same as on my Pikes/Revs)?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnick View Post
    Oh God. Started looking at the options and think I want the RCT3 with tapered steerer and 15mm Maxle.

Or a lie down.

Or preferably both.

Am I right in thinking the RCT3 has the choice of open/platform/locked whilst the RLT has open/locked with floodgate to adjust (same as on my Pikes/Revs)?
    RCT3 gives you the same as normal Pikes / Rev's threshold locking wise but with a additional 100% LOCKED SOLID for road use only really.

Add in the new RCT3 – a lockout with three positions – and you can adapt to any terrain: Switch between “Open” (with all DNA possibilities), “Threshold” (takes away the big bumps) and “Lockout” for fast rolling on smooth ground.

RLT would make more sense, but guess they've already used that in previous years doh!!

I'd stick to RLT personally, atleast if you forget to unlock with threshold it'll react and blow through, with the RCT LOCKED it won't at all ( likely a serious blow off still )

@nobby - yes it's Blackbox, I was told what I said but it may not be true.

@Oldnick/alpha yes my RLT's have indexed (about 8 positions) low speed compression lever from fully open to lockout with a threshhold adjust. As well as dual air and rebound of course.

The only issue with blackbox is setting up right - something the manual doesn't explain.

Using Mike's previous linky it takes about 5 minutes to get it right. The threshold adjustment makes a difference to how the fork actually performs - set it right & it's proper good.

Good explanation here - it explains that XX removes external compression control leaving you with the default, which is what I was trying to remember earlier

http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/06/01/...ble-more-29er/

Also OldNick, the Blackbox can't be tuned or pushed later. Of course this may not matter but it's just something to bear in mind.

Absolutely right Nobby. I used the same guide for my RLT's and they are super plush, and sit up well, reminisce of the FOX FIT On the other bike.

No wonder the economy is f@cked when it's this hard to spend money

Here's a simpletons guide OldNick, in order of greatest price first:

XX - as per Blackbox with no external compression control

Blackbox - superior damping, more expensive, non "pushable"

Motion Control DNA - close to Blackbox evolution of original Motion Control, with tuneability, all the adjustments outside, but missing dual flow compression. RCT has a platform, RLT doesn't.

Bear in mind you're buying a SID - RS's top of the range XC fork, I wouldn't have thought there's such thing as a bad one, regardless of the inner tech....

They're all good forks, just some are gooder than others.......

I was told in simple terms:

XX/Blackbox - best 'off the shelf'

RLT/RCT - more tuning options.

TBH, at the shorter travel, I doubt any of us would notice a difference so I'd look at the best deal you can find.

Aargh, too many choices.

I want a tapered alloy steerer (stiffer, oddly), no remote (hate clutter on the bars), Maxle (stiffer), compression damping that can be set 'open' (for lumpy bumpy descents), 120mm travel (to give me a 100/110mm option is worth 20g to me).

RLT or RCT3 by the look of it?

Leaning towards the RLT as it has controls I'm familiar with (open/floodgate controlled lockout) so now (that the cheques have appeared in the account) the waiting game begins...

My RLT was epic yesterday, and saved me several times. The rider was an arse though, bad day in the office.