Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

wildlife encounters out on the trails.

out night riding on saturday and a Badger ran accross the trail just infront of me,

last seen a badger out on my bike maybe 12 years ago.

seen anything nice? always like it when i get to ride with a local herd of deer, and had a stag running down the trail infront of me for about 30 mtrs a few months ago.

I always see a few squirrels and the occasional fox in the forest. A few deer can be spotted from time to time, particularly during evening / night rides.

Only seen a badger alive out night riding once, way back during the Cheddar Everest 36-hour challenge. Come a cropper on badger holes that have appeared on the trail since I last rode them however

On my road bike training around Richmond Park at night last winter, and ran over a rabbit that darted over the road. Lucky not to crash. And in the same park nearly ridden into the back of a stag nonchalantly walking across the road

ran over a squirrel once.

Squirrels, foxes, badgers, rabbits & a multitude of birdlife regularly seen.

Bears, lions & rhinos imagined on solo night rides.

A pteradactyl, once.

Mating teenagers, twice.

Have hit a pheasant & nutted a squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post

Mating teenagers, twice.
    Go bac for a second look?

Senior Member MLR                                                                                             's Avatar
    Saw an Adder a few weeks ago.

Now that Nobby has reminded me, I gave come across a herd of charging wildebeast. Yes really.

nutted a squirrel.
    PMSL! That's when the rider following you needs a headcam.

Can't remember coming across much wildlife whilst riding TBH. Nowt except the Lesser-spotted Red Sock Wearer, of course.
    Last edited by Hans Frii; 10-04-12 at 14:43.

Rode through a large school of deer drinking/eating/chilling at a river in the Caingorms a few years back. They didn't run, and it was me who felt a bit nervous.

Those Cairngorm Deer are rock hard though Gav, mate of mine got butted off his bike by a mahoosive Stag whilst I was guiding up there back in 02.
    Last edited by Dirty Karlos; 10-04-12 at 17:03.

saw a massive brown coloured bird whilst on the tissington trail once,couldnt tell you what it was tho,have no idea,it swooped down over the trail in front of me,hunting i presume frogs and small furry animals that run across the trail.never seen such a large bird close up.maybe one of you guys know??
    other regularly seen are llamas and aberdeen angus..

Quote Originally Posted by blondy View Post
    saw a massive brown coloured bird whilst on the tissington trail once,couldnt tell you what it was tho,have no idea,it swooped down over the trail in front of me,hunting i presume frogs and small furry animals that run across the trail.never seen such a large bird close up.maybe one of you guys know??
    Could have been a Buzzard, though if you were close to any water bodies it could have been a Marsh Harrier. Depends what you call big, and it's sometimes difficult to get a sense of the scale of the bird. It could have been any number of smaller hawks, harriers or even a Goshawk...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Karlos View Post
    Could have been a Buzzard, though if you were close to any water bodies it could have been a Marsh Harrier. Depends what you call big, and it's sometimes difficult to get a sense of the scale of the bird. It could have been any number of smaller hawks, harriers or even a Goshawk...
    How fcucking trite, not to mention hypocritical after ribbing me about the size of the bird I asked about.

dont think i was close to any water,the part of the trail i was on had lots of trees surrounding,large wing span,few ft id say,hard to tell i was just gawping and trying not to end up in the ditch cause i was distracted from where i was riding..

Driving back from the Whinlatter Challenge the roads near home were covered in frogs, hundreds of the buggers.

Normally my panting wheezing and swearing scares the wildlife away.

1 x suicidal sheep last weekend....Grrr

Was followed by a barn owl on a night ride for about 1/4 of a mile with it zipping in and out of my light beams on way home at the end of last summer.

Quite often see Buzzards and Kestrels in Wilts whilst out cycling
    Last edited by Demonix; 10-04-12 at 20:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    How fcucking trite, not to mention hypocritical after ribbing me about the size of the bird I asked about.
    Your description was awful, over sized Robin I believe, why don't you calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Karlos View Post
    Your description was awful, over sized Robin I believe...
    I had the same descrpition as you and managed to identify it from the first post but probably due to using my bonce and thinking about the time of year etc and pinning it down to an obviously migratory type. And my obvious superiority to you in most matters, also...

: D

I wish I really believed that...!