new phone / computer / watch / GPS?

with this new king of the hill challange, what are people using to measure there height climbed?

thinking of getting something as i do not even bother with a cycle computer and do not have a smart phone.
    anyone any advice on phones that do a good mapping and can be used for this sort of thing or a GPS etc?

IME Serge, a smartphone is a compromise. I use a Garmin 500 and the smallest lightest PAYG phone for emergencies and thats it, unless I'm away from Home and I stick the iphone in my back pack.

I did use my iphone / Endomondo but on the longer rides there's a question of battery life, and it doesn't give you all the training data the Garmin does.

I got my 500 + HRM for 130 which is cheaper than any phone subscription even via upgrade.
    aka Sean / Sandeep / Sylvian / Seamus....

The obvious phone if using it on the bike is a Sony Xperia Active water proof and rugged, ANT support and a pressure sensor for barrometric based Altitude.

App wise my own IpBike was inspired by the Active becoming availible. It's designed to be usable mounted on the bike. ANT+ support for all the bike sensors and HR. Barrometric based altitude on phones with a pressure sensor like the Active. Various mapping sources including a cyceling specific one which looks to have most of the UK trailcenter trasils on it.

Battery life is very dependent on the display usage and data usage. I don't think about it setting out for 3-4 hours more than that you need to think about letting the screen dim or switch right off. Getting the map data you want preloaded is always a good idea. I have things setup so you can load a route to follow and then the app will scroll around it if you want loading the tiles at the zoom level you want. Managing the screen 7-8 hours is not realy too hard. If your just interested in data logging then screen off all the time I think you could get 12 hours with the gps on. If you were doing the 24 hour this weekend then with the GPS off but ANT and barometric pressure on I think the 24 hours is achievable but have not tested it...

Kinda what Stan said - look at what you actually want from a device then look T what's available.

I'd always chose something designed for purpose rather than adapted to 'also' have that function. Garmin tend to lead the way on Bike gps & have stuff from the basic 200 up to the 800 with its full OS topo mapping (with costs to match).

If you just want basic data then the 200 is fine, the 500 seems the more popular option because of its HRM/cadence capabilities.

I'm about to put my old Edge 305 on fleabay as I recently got hold of a 705 for its mapping capabilities if you fancy it? PM if interested.
    Pootleist

Difficult to know which is best as not many advertise what from the GPS transmission they are decoding. The civilian tranmission contains about 12 minutes of information from each satelite you can "see" and to get the minimum amount of info you need to navigate you need to see 4 satellites for 30 seconds each.
    Then the software comes into play, Endomondo tracks your position every minute, if you look at the file it produces all it gives is position and time. Most likeley thats all that every GPS reciever does.
    The mapping software then joins up the dots and plots a course I assume the better ones have a shorter refresh cycle but it would not be any use having one shorter than 30 seconds.
    So check what the device you are buying does if you can find the info.
    Logical

The Garmins track real time or, to save battery life/memory have an 'economy' mode which plots every 12 seconds (IIRC).

Garmin Connect or Sport Tracks take full data unlike Endo, which is just about the worst I've used.
    Pootleist

Given that I'm a southern lumbered with a Northern's wallet, what app works best on an Android phone? All I need is speed, distance, av speed and elevation, anything else is a bonus.
    There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate tyres

Quote Originally Posted by oldnick View Post
    Given that I'm a southern lumbered with a Northern's wallet, what app works best on an Android phone? All I need is speed, distance, av speed and elevation, anything else is a bonus.

Most use Endomondo but there's a growing following for Strava - both have free apps for Android.
    Pootleist

Most of the Android phones are capable of a gps update every second. The more modern ones like the Sony Activie I have added support for the Russian GLONASS sattelites so the accuracy is potentialy better than a stand alone gps device with more sattelites to choose from. What level of recording the app uses is up to the App. I record every second as for the likes of Strava you need that level of accuracy for a short segment.

I added Strava upload into my IpBike a couple of weeks back. I plan on adding more direct upload support for web sites with API's in the next few weeks but you can du it manualy via a FIT or TCX export at the moment.

I let Strava do it's job today and motivate me on a fast lap around Cawm Carn rather pleased how well I was going.