Question chain/gear slippage

Hi all, i have recently changed the rear deralliuer on a bike, new gear cable installed and all new outers, now no matter how i set the gears, its tempermental on changed up or down, if i set up for 1-5 gears of 9 (789 are picky)... only 1-4 work perfect, so i setup for 5-9 they work spot on but wont come down to 1234... i figure the shifter is on its last legs.. (new chain also fitted and the correct chain and size)
    now when i have set gears and goto pull away CRUNCH!!! your foot dives for the floor but you dont move.. big gear slippage.. this i put down to the freehub body?
    any other possibilities?
    Many thanks

Sounds like freehub to me. Have you had a mate look closely to see if the chain slips over the cassette or not when you apply pressure?

Be easier to tell which bits move and which don't - a dodgy mech wouldn't cause the cassette to slip about...
    aka Sean / Sandeep / Sylvian / Seamus....

Worn cassette is a possibility - do you still have the old chain to try out?
    Pootleist

no the old chain had snapped and was well and truly worn, wouldnt even pick up correctly on the teeth,
    what i did notice.. is when i placed the wheel in another bike, i couldnt get it to slip///?
    Im gonna place the freehub in a vice tomorrow and see if i it "slips"

Gotta say, it does sound like the cassette. Especially if the chain was as worn as you claim.

Ed. Can you post-up a piccie of the cassette...?

Its not the freehub, its the chain on the cassette, else the freehub would have slipped in bike 2.

Basically your cassette teeth would have worn to "fit" with the old chain. Assuming bike no2 has an "old" chain, it'll be similarly worn so will "fit" better than the new, unworn chain.

The remedy? New cassette I'm afraid.

THankyou, was my next thought, its why im checking the freehub in vice. gently of course im not gonna force it. ill see if i can foto the cogs also..

the rear cassette
    _MG_6916.jpg_MG_6922.jpg

Senior Member Stephanos Wephanos's Avatar
    When you change a chain you really should change the middle ring and the cassette. A cassette can last 2 chains if you change chains every 3/4 months or so depending on how much you ride.

The other route is the chain rotation thing, buy a number of chains and rotate them after each ride or maybe once per week, bit fiddly but it means you can get more life out of your drive chain.
    Shirker in Chief

its nto my bike so i can only advise the owner. Still doesnt come down to which i should change cassette or freehub .....

Quote Originally Posted by MOHIKAN22 View Post
    the rear cassette
    _MG_6916.jpg_MG_6922.jpg
    Have a look at the (from the largest down) teeth on the rings, particularly the difference between 2nd, 3rd, 4th then 6th 7th and 8th which are clearly badly worn.

SW: My XT casssette was second hand and must be at least 3 years old of weekend rides and countless chains!

In fact I'm still on the same Race Face Evolve XC I bought in 2006 though that is now reduced to middle chain ring on the On-One Single speed.

....Now I really come to think of it the only real thing on the drivechain on any bike since around 2006 has been chains.

Quote Originally Posted by BHB 10.6.6 View Post
    Now I really come to think of it the only real thing on the drivechain on any bike since around 2006 has been chains.
    LOL!

So the remainder of the bike has been purely imaginary, then...?

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Have a look at the (from the largest down) teeth on the rings, particularly the difference between 2nd, 3rd, 4th then 6th 7th and 8th which are clearly badly worn.
    Again; LOL! So only three usable gears. I've seen worse but they definitely look a bit worn.

Personally, I get about six chains per cassette, changing them twice in a year and strip/rebuild the bike every six months. Don't spend much on it except for the chains and the brake blocks. And cables every now and then...

I consider my Cycling to be an almost entirely metaphysical pursuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Christ to me that looks like a perfectly decent cassette just a bit dirty, soak it in a bit of white spirit and a toothbrush it will right as rain.

For the OP I would be looking at the pawls in the free hub perhaps, though I don't know my maintenance is shocking.

In Fact stan if you think that's badly worn I'll quite happily buy your hand me downs!

HMM A PUZZLE. ok ill try it in the vice first, then perhaps chuck my cassette on the freehub body...