Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I liked it, but then I also loved the Prophet and the Heckler, all very similar, very capable bikes. I like single pivot, once you get it 'dialled'. I find the fancy pants linkages dull the trails too much for me, I like to know what is going on out back.

I liked the Prophet too but you can keep t'others.

Prefer my shitty, old-fashioned single pivot bike to any of 'em mind.......

Senior Member Mustrum Ridcully - Kicking Against The Pricks's Avatar
    Well, being from Yorkshire, I just pop my flat cap on and hitch my bike up to my team of whippets whatever the terrain....

Senior Member Stephanos Wephanos's Avatar
    I wonder...

Does every time we slag off a bike or a piece gear that David is pushing does a marketing executive die?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanos Wephanos View Post
    I wonder...

Does every time we slag off a bike or a piece gear that David is pushing does a marketing executive die?
    (Bill Hicks voice) With any luck. (/Bill Hicks voice)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanos Wephanos View Post
    I wonder...

No, but I suspect David's bonus / chance of a payrise /freebie dwindles.

I distinctly get the impression a sponser's Orange 5 could have been parked in BM towers longer than it might currently be....

Don't worry Dave, its a piece of shit made in the least labour intensive manner possibel from recycled filing cabinets, then sold on at massive profit margins. You wouldn't want it anyway

/sarcasm

Oh an easy one for a change. Best 26in trail bike is.........All of mine! Why?1. They are mine, 2. I built them, 3. I ride them, 4 I love them.End.

What XC Whippet said. However, one small point... My bike is better than your bike.

I fell in love with the Hustler again this weekend at Afan, a bit of a sofa at 140mm but confidence inspiring down the hills and not too heavy/bouncy up the other side, even when I got lazy and left the suspension open all the time

I use a Nicolai Helius CC, Magura 130mm fork upfront, rear travel can be adjusted by bolt settings. Lockout of DT Swiss shock will stop bob even when out of saddle. Really comfortable all day trail bike. Nicolai only make it to special order now and production substitution of the Helius AC which has longer travel etc.
    Last edited by lesoudeur; 27-05-12 at 21:14.

Stupid question that pops up every so often.

My ability on a bike is different to stan, nobby and karlos. My enjoyment of a bike is different to david arthurs. He may be able to get a orange 5 on the edge of its capabilities so in effect he may find it a great bike. Stan however might mince down a descent and find it uninvolving.

Stupid stupid question. The answer of course is the bike you get the most enjoyment out of is the best bike. Regardless of its manufacturer, travel or where you are riding it

Quote Originally Posted by David Arthur View Post
    Now that our 'month of 29ers' is behind us, we're shifting our focus to 26in trail bikes, starting with an upcoming look at possibly the definitive bike in this category, the Orange Five.

I want to know which bikes you think sum up the perfect UK trail bike. Let's have your nominations below...
    i love this bike...its one of my favorites..but havent got the opportunity to ride..but will surely get soon..

Should anybody be thinking of buying a 26" now we have 29ers ?

I've had both a Specialized Camber and Stump Jumper. Both great trail bikes IMO.

Both 26" too. I'm yet to be convinced by 29" wheels.

really not sold on 29ers for trail bikes.

29", 26", 650B- HT or FS , geared or SS , soooo many niches and pigeon holes..

Have come to the conclusion it's best to ride what suits you and where you like riding and say f#ck it to the cycling fashionista's and the faddy bike press and the latest must have trends.

Ride what you want where you want...
    Last edited by Demonix; 23-03-13 at 18:27.

Another. Vote for yeti asr 5 from me... I test rode the orange 5 and a trek somethingorother and the trek was pretty good but the orange 5 felt pretty dead. Was glad I tested a few cos before that I really liked the orange. Feels really good for drops I would describe it as stable but a little dead.