Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I may have called them gay, this is true. Ive now decided it's okay if you have a health 'issue'. In fact it's suddenly very manly.
    ;-)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    With regard to HRM, I can definately say in the few months I've been using it to measure Z2 and ride accordingly, I've noticed a massive amount of increase in my cardio. Give or take some to factor in the extra riding I've been doing anyway.

I did read up on Lactose training / measurement but it all seemed a bit of a faff which I haven't been bothered with (same goes for hill sprints). I have been talking to a bike coach recently and (having looked at my ride data) he reckons a day a week performing 2-5 min hill climbing / 5 mins rest (and repeat) would boost my performance a fair bit.

Thing is though, I prefer to "ride" rather than just go up and down the same hill 15 times. Its not like I'm of a standard to be riding Le Tour anyway is it....
    I've got a CRAZY steep hill, about 4 warm up miles from me, 2 - 3 mins to get up I have that same plan, but it's BORING and very painful leg muscle wise very quickly.

4 weeks Sunday I think to 100KM HONC, still get the remains of the dredded man flu not fit enough to start riding yet, hopefully only a few days more, lost 3 weeks of training putting in a sub 7hour isn't looking promising ( 8 last time ).

My HRM told me to slow way down, which was kinda not the point so I ignored it and kept racing around at near max HR, ofcourse I've got Angina aged 41 but hey likely not related.

Right time to start training, Having only done 30 miles on my road bike this year any suggestions as to a program ?
    BTW My first race is on the 4th April, a 10 mile TT. V810 course.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    My HRM told me to slow way down, which was kinda not the point so I ignored it and kept racing around at near max HR, ofcourse I've got Angina aged 41 but hey likely not related.
    If you took the time to read up on it thats exactly what you should be doing. Z2 Training riding not only is less stress on your body, relieving tiredness, impact on your immune system and other overtraining issues, but also grows/trains the "slow twitch" muscle fibres in favor over the fast twitch muscle fibres used for riding above that level. That'll give you more endurance, and less reliance (therefore less injury risk also) on the bigger muscles, but also leaves them "rested" for climbs etc.

As I've found, as you do more and more Z2 and become fitter you are able to ride faster and faster at Z2. Translate that into "active rest" while you are on the flat and turning the pedals, yet zooming along at 18mph (road bike) with much less effort than when not training in this style.

By doing what you are doing you are stressing your body, and only engaging approx 66% of the muscles (in your legs) you could be using for riding.

It's best not to enter a dialogue with Dalpha, he's never wrong.

I am so fcukin keen get on my bike it's unreal, having finally got my thyroid under control I now have manflu. The bike's sat next to me now, so fcukin frustrating!!!

I finally went out yesterday. There are two flat sections on my ride which go directly west. On both of them I was head on to the wind, in the lowest gears all round, on the drops and swearing like a bitch at the roaring in my ears.

Looking at my ride data, I rode those sections at 13kph - I usually ride them around about 27 - 30kph.

Painful.

At least you were out!

:'(

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Karlos View Post
    At least you were out!

:'(
    I'm going out again tomorrow*.

*Unless it rains

I watched that Horizon programme last night, which ultimately confirmed what I've read before and what we all know.

Basically, 80% of us don't have the right combination of genes to become elite altheletes in any form, and of those that do, its important to have identified how your genes and physiology are, in order to pick the sport that "fits" you.

Most of us will gain health and performance benefits from eating correctly and exercising regularly, and will adapt our bodies to the maximum of our bio-mechanical ability to "better" ourselves at our chosen sport.

However, if we aren't bio-mechanically suited, we'll never ride le tour / win the worlds strongest man / run faster than Usain Bolt, but ultimately what we are striving to do is to become top of the field of the 80% of atheletes within our chosen sport who are in the same situation as we are. That, can only be achieved by an increase in ability, and fitness but ultimately we'll reach a point where we cannot exceed our genetic abilty. This kind of gives credence to the statement "it doesn't matter whether you win or lose, as long as you've given your all".

The other thing I learns is that the brain tells us we "can't" within a large % of our max ability as a protective mechanism against injury, so if you can tell yourself it doesn't hurt, you are much more able to stretch your performance.

I found it interesting anyway.
    Last edited by Stan; 08-03-12 at 09:44.

It was interesting, shows why I can be an elite athelete. Just need to add some Mojo.

How do you work out hr zones then? I've just been following the zones the garmin has arrived at but don't know whether these are just preset or based on actual data?

Congrats on the massive can of worms you've just opened ��

Check out he Karvonen method, personally I'm going to be using the lactate threshold method as written in Joe Friels 'Going long'.

At the end of the day they are just a guide.

Google it Alx there are calcs based on height /age weight etc

An interesting day yesterday.

So sometimes when you're in the Doldrums of training over winter, you wonder why you ride every day, is it worth it, wouldn't it be easier to stop in, or go to the pub.

But for me personally yesterday was the first semi - dry trail ride of the year, and the first ride where I could really push/lean/trust the bike through the corners etc. I found that (compared to my 2010 self) I was able to be super-fast and super confident. I found my climbing was powerful, and my recovery (at the top) was quick.

It really was the first indicator that the winter training has been worth it, and the training program and increased riding I've been doing over the past 14 months is paying dividends - bear in mind thats based on only 3 rides per week.

The moral of the story - bear with it, it works.

N b s ?

Maybe and the fact it weighs approx 22lb too

Banned
    Still not 100% over that bug and still weak, 3 ish weeks to go or something, recent rides have been okay CV wise, but 20miles and a few hills and legs are burnt out so 60+ miles and even more hills is going to kill, my best bet is building leg strength so doing loads of leg weights in the gym and putting in as much hill climbing as I can, ramp it up when I'm 100% back to normal.

Anyone interested? This could be my warm up to the Bucks 100 off road sportive.

http://www.trailbreak.co.uk/southern...vent_id=120421