Win: Knog Boomer Wearable LED light every day this week

Thanks to Today’s Cyclist, we’ve got a fantastic Knog Boomer Wearable light to giveaway every day this week.

And all you have to do is tell us about your best/worst/funniest night riding incident.

Best:- My first real night ride. It will always be the best. It was just a local loop,that I had done hundreds of times, but night riding adds a great dimension to your local loops. Drop offs look huge, any noise in the woods you sh!t your pants. All great fun.

Worst / Funniest:- Took a mate for his first night ride, I was ahead and waiting for him at a section and watched him approach, the next thing I see his lights bin it and him hit the deck. I went to see him and he had hit a badger, he was freaking out, I was laughing my ass off.

About three years ago I decided it'd be a good idea to attempt my ride home without lights. It was an open and crisp night with an almost full moon. I was fine on the path because, although overhanging trees did their best to shelter me from the moons' glow, there was enough light to see the edging to the narrow track. All good until the cars started coming the other way and knocked out my night vision. On three occasions I left the path unwittingly and rather shocked as I was convinced (probably through *ahem* tiredness etc) I could still see the edge when in reality, upon further up-close inspection at ground level, I realised the path had no edge definition whatsoever.

I now get by with a tiny old skool LED but choose to return home earlier these days. Until my Cree arrives from Hong Kong, that is. Slow boat to China n all that...

Best, worst & funniest was probably the solo night ride when I was attacked by a pteradactyl whilst riding along a local river bank. I was lucky it came at me from the water side as i only crashed into a bush rather than ending up in the river.

My so-called mates reckon it was only a heron that I'd startled but they weren't there & didn't see the huge grey monster as it took off.....

A few funny ones over the years, the rabbit hitting my front wheel and being launched over my shoulder to take out a mate behind by a direct head hit but nothing beats the night the gamekeepers came after us.
    Way back when LEDs were only used for rear lights a friend and I set out on one of our night time forays. Living in the midst of "The Dukes" land we have some really good tracks over the moors. Heading back to a road section our bright lights [10watt halogens] attracted the local game keepers as we descended in full few, albeit a few miles away, of the head game keepers house. We decided last minute to cross the road jump over a wall and ride down to the river sitting behind the wall studying map to work out the best way, when landrovers and quads converged on the road the other side of the wall.
    "There on motor bikes they have to be here somewhere"
    "they are either poaching or stealing Christmas trees"
    "Quick start looking for a pickup or truck they must be around somewhere"
    "Listen any one hear them"

It took all our skills to smother the giggles and even more to ride down 2 fields to the river and make our escape even made the local papers, news a bit slow in week before Christmas :-)

I used to have to ride 4 miles home along a deserted old railway track - easy, especially with two lovely bright front lights - but it was the "noises off" that scared me witless some nights. It's now so much less scary riding in Manchester City Centre in the dark - but an extra rear light could be just what I need

After glancing behind me to see where my riding buddies were, I looked forward again in time to see a silhouette blur past right next to me. Turns out someone was standing stock still in the middle of the trail (around 10pm, winter) :| He didnt make any attempt to move or make us aware that he was there, even after I almost hit them. Just carried on standing there not moving at all. Very, very spooky. Then having a badger run straight into me at the end of the ride to top it off!! **rolls eyes**
    Last edited by joe spicer; 07-11-11 at 18:12.

Dalesman, that one about the rabbit has made me LOL. I have so many visions

Funniest was when following my riding buddy (who's 6ft 4in tall) who ducked under a low branch, and as he straightened up he was knocked clean off his bike by the next branch that was at exactly the same height!

Worst was when we had done a long ride in early September and I was talked into doing a jump 'one last time', when I woke up I could hear the ambulance coming!

Through the medium of comtemporary interpretative mathematics I will endeavour to edify and educate...

Take 30 something bloke

+ Canadian Full Suss free ride machine

+ Having too much fun hooning and sessioning a local fun spot until after dusk

+ That one last bomb hole jump before home time

- a reasonable amount of light to properly see landing spot on adjacent bowl...

= One whole world of hurt when connecting with a tree stump you didn't realise / See was on that line...and results in some spectacular acrobatics, and a 37.5lb bike made from industrial girders smacking into the back of ones leg....
    Followed by a very slow and painful 14 mile cycle home...

P1010448.jpg

Not exactly a night ride, but last August I went to do some off-roading around Lake Garda, Italy. We were staying in the Limone sul Garda area and had to ride on-road for 20 minutes or so until we reached the correct road that took us toward the San Michele mountain range.
    The on-road bit is along a single-carriageway called the Via 4 Novembre. It's not particularly busy, but cars drive along it like it's part of the Monaco Grand Prix or something. The most scary thing about this road, however, is that there are long tunnel sections up to about 0.5 mile long which are completely pitch black because it is not a straight road.
    As we were just going to do day-time riding, I had only thought to bring a 'make me visible' light (a cateye Loop SL-LD110) in case the weather turned grim. Out of our group of 4, I was the only one to bring a light of any sort and beamed to myself that I'd be fine riding through the tunnels.
    How wrong could I have been ... Plunging from bright sunshine into pitch black meant that you were momentarily blind, not knowing where the high kerb was or where the tunnel walls were or whether you were about get thrown from your steed after clattering over a pothole or piles of rubble. Add to that the fact that you felt you were on the wrong (righthand) side of the road and had the risk of being steamrolled by the next zooming car, you can imagine how rather terrifying this quickly became and you had to endure it for another few hundred metres.
    So this is my dark-riding terror tale, rather than night-riding.

Scariest was coming down from high street in a group of about 6 riders late at night. Flying along on what was basically grass bank (No track) and all of a sudden a bird of some kind got caught in my forks/wheel. It was thrown up into my chest and started flapping about etc. Well in this instance i must admit to screaming like a scolded cat. I thought i had been attacked by a wearwolf or similar.

Funniest was on a cold snowy night ride up crossfell. Visability was the end of your nose and luckily i was with a very experienced navigator. That isnt the best help in a white out but he stated there should be a trig point somewhere around the area and as soon as we found that we would have a bearing. 2 minutes later i literally rode straight into the trig point. After picking myself up off the ground i shouted to my pal and we managed to get ourselves down safely. I had gps backup but it was much more fun this way.

LOL I think I would of started to cry if a bird had done that to me Hobo

I remember riding over what appeared to be a moving field in the dark. There was an accompanying squelchy crunching noise. Turned out to be, literally, thousands of frogs! Blood and goo everywhere!!
    The first time I ever rode Dalby at night I finished up going over the top of a bank on one of the switchbacks when my crappy Electrons decided to fail! Ask DK, I beleive he's still laughing.....

Sorry, I can't read, I posted this yesterday on the competition page rathere than here. Am I too late?

Enjoy anyway ...

Ten o’clock at night, emerging from dark woods onto an unlit gravel track, I started hearing a mysterious squeaking noise which got louder as I carried on. What was it? The grim reaper sharpening his scythe or a giant deranged bat?

The answer soon became clear as an old car came into the beam of my lights. Inside I could just about make out a couple of semi-clad people “at it” in the car, causing it to rock on its noisy suspension.

They were a bit surprised to be suddenly lit up by 500 lumens of LED power however. In fact they seemed to think they’d been busted by the police or something and started frantically trying to get clothes on. As I cycled by though they realised I was just a “mad cyclist” and stopped panicking. I carried on my way and they resumed their business.

Unfortunately under the circumstances we didn’t speak so I couldn’t tell them I was near my turning round point and would be back in ten minutes. They did seemed a little less surprised to see me the second time and didn’t stop to check.