Page 29 of 61 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    I'd assumed Stan was on the lookout for cheap due to him actually stating the price in his original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
    I'd assumed Stan was on the lookout for cheap due to him actually stating the price in his original post.
    I am. I'm not a happy camper but recognise the need for a tent at events like SITS and the odd away weekend where no B&B is availalble. Rather not spend 's on something I'll use once ot twice a year, but would like to keep wet shoes & kit away from my sleeping bag hence the desire for a porch.

Thats is really. Depending on the amount of mudpups discount his option is in the lead so far....

Quote Originally Posted by Dalesman View Post
    The Vango then, seems like the better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    I am. I'm not a happy camper but recognise the need for a tent at events like SITS and the odd away weekend where no B&B is availalble. Rather not spend 's on something I'll use once ot twice a year, but would like to keep wet shoes & kit away from my sleeping bag hence the desire for a porch.

Thats is really. Depending on the amount of mudpups discount his option is in the lead so far....
    Ok, here's my slant on the whole tub/sewn in groundsheet mullarkey. On a big, 'family' tent they're great as they do stop a lot of drafts etc which matters if you're in the living area of the tent. With a small tent that is likely to be used 'solo' and for outdoorsy type activities the impact is far less. The only place you spend any time is the sleeping area which needs to to have the tub/SIG to keep you & your stuff warm & dry. The porch area is a different situation, particularly as it's a small space - if you leave all your wet/dirty kit in there all of the water/filth has nowhere to go & you end up with puddles making it impossible to get in/out of the sleeping area without getting wet/dirty. A full size but non-tub/SIG give adequate protection from the incoming elements but also allows you to divert/drain away any water that comes in with your kit/when you open the door & it's pouring down etc. In mine, I tend to fold back the front edge of the groundsheet in the porch & dump wet stuff straight on the ground to drain off.

Does that make sense? I've read it twice before posting & I'm not sure it does.

Nope I'd still go for the Terra Nova Homestead 52 OK its 200 but it will pay you back over the years,

Btw Nope is to Stan, all my tents have a TUB sleeping area somewhere you can keep stuff dry the communal areas all have either no ground sheet or a separate one. So its more or less what you said init Nobster

Quote Originally Posted by Dalesman View Post
    Nope I'd still go for the Terra Nova Homestead 52 OK its 200 but it will pay you back over the years,
    Not necessarily with the size dependant increased price-per-pitch that occurs on some sites.

I see your point there nobby....

I can't work it out but was your impression that the Vango non tub ground sheet is sewn to the other 2/3(?) sides of the porch "walls"? I'd be happy with that, so that wind/water isnt coming from all directions yet water from kit could be swept out the door.

Yes DM.

Stan, the Beta 250 has a tub sleeping area & standard full size groundsheet in the porch (according to Vango's website) which is the same as my 2 man tent from them. Check my earlier linky.

Yes DM.

Stan, the Beta 250 has a tub sleeping area & standard full size groundsheet in the porch (according to Vango's website) which is the same as my 2 man tent from them. Check my earlier linky.
    That means the wind & rain is free to drive under the tent in the porch area then if its not a SIG, which is where I'd want to store my bags. If it rains the danger is my dry/clean clothes get wet, which defeats the object IMO.

I don't remember OldNicks being that way although I admit I didnt look too closely.

Yes, but if it's pitched correctly I've never had an issue with rain getting in other than opening the door. I'd assumed, like most people, you were looking at a bigger tent than you need as you'd keep your clean stuff in the sleeping area.

Yes, but if it's pitched correctly I've never had an issue with rain getting in other than opening the door. I'd assumed, like most people, you were looking at a bigger tent than you need as you'd keep your clean stuff in the sleeping area.
    Ah no see, I was thing of keeping ALL my stuff in the porch. Thats what OldNick did, so I assumed his porch was a dry haven. If thats the case I guess I'd go for the 350 so's I have plentry of room in the sleeping area....

I always find the car I arrived in a fairly dry storage area too......

This is more like it - check out the "riser" porch groundsheet - I note Nobby's earlier comments about sweeping out puddles.....

http://www.vango.co.uk/tents/omega-250.html

Tents 2 types
    Big Fuck off ones you carry in the car that you can stand up in with a "Proper TUB/SIG in the sleeping area a bastard to put up in the wind by yourself. Even more of a bastard if you're a cheapskate and the fucker blows down in the night and you have to stand outside holding it down.
    Small fuck of ones which are the same as above but you cant stand up in them. come in 2 sub categories cheap and reassuringly expensive

Would you buy an Apollo ? then don't buy a cheap tent, oh on second thoughts you have.

For "events" over the last 5 or 6 years I've been using one of these: http://www.millets.co.uk/camping/ten...ribute=4785115
    It's been great!

Wouldn't buy an Apollo but would buy a Millet's tent!

Tis all getting a bit tents in here int it?

I made a happy tent.

To what extent dk?

Stan, OMMFG, you really got the wrong end of the stick, geez. My point related to a comment I made earlier on this thread (I think) about 24hour events not always feeling fun whilst in the middle of an early morning lap; cold, tired, hungry and generally wondering what possessed you to sign up for this ridiculous and pointless jaunt around the same old terrain. However, upon reflection you realise that despite your girly wimpering and whinning, your life has actually been enhanced by taking part and seeing it through to the end.

Nothing inferred. No innuendoes or insinuations.