Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Now if we really want to protect children the first thing to ban is the motor car which kills hundreds. every year Try to do that and people will perhaps rightly point out the net benefits to children of motor transport. So perhaps there's a net benefit to Facebook and Co eh Ross. We're quite good at debate on here when people are prepared to listen as well as provoke.You'll be reassured to hear that my 12-year-old son has free access to my PC on which there are no parental controls and the safe search is most definitely off. The best way to protect your kids IMO is to teach them to be as street wise as possible.

OK, so I seem to be winding people up a treat. The stated cars kill more kids is not true. Suicide is the biggest killer of young people in this country today. This is not well known, and is not particularly publicised, but is TRUE. As my private comments to one blogger here have been made public, please check the Papyrus site before I get slammed more. Then slam me if you still feel it is appropriate.

It's a forum not a blog!

I wasn't intending to criticise other peoples use of facebook. I personally don't use it. It's my personal opinion, and I wouldn't expect others to agree. And yes I am sure there have been many benefits to facebook et al, however sometimes we need to take a wider look at the impact of technological developments on society. This thread is a classic point. It isn't intelligent debate that is informing, but open criticism.Again, I didn't mean to derail this thread, and I apologise to those who came to this thread expecting information on the Demo days. However I also object to personal directed abuse when an opinion is given.However, I recognise the hypocrisy of continuing to comment on here when I say I am not wishing to derail the thread and so will not comment further.

Trains and trams derail, A TRHEAD IS JUST A SERIES OF WORDS ,MAKING SENTANCES SO CANT PHYSICALLY DERAIL.Like JG said and he appears to agree with me cars kill more kids than Facebook, a few kids who lack the emotionmal support of loving parents may kill themselves, either by accident looking for attention, and it goes wrong, or sadly because they lack the emotional stability to talk to somebody, to have parents that will listen and help, or look for relevant help.Adults also skill them selves, which is even sadder, as they should have at least somebody to talk things through to , eg the GP, a freind , partner, or other medical proffesional, even another bike forum which has had some success recently, in offering a shoulder to cry on. See you at Cannock hopefully.I will be wearing the FACEBOOK tshirt, and speedos.

" the Office of National Statistics had recorded 176 cases of suicides of 10- to 14-year-olds between 2000 and 2008 in England, Scotland and Wales.""126 children were killed on the roads in 2007 alone" 

Ross Keeble wrote (see) Please don't re-direct me to a facebook or twitter page as I don't have one, and strongly disagree with such sites due to the risk they place children at. Ross Keeble wrote (see) please check the Papyrus site before I get slammed more. Interesting that you can follow the papyrus site on Twitter

oldnick wrote (see)Ross Keeble wrote (see)please check the Papyrus site before I get slammed more. Interesting that you can follow the papyrus site on Twitter Fantastic

But how many Mike responded to a thread on Bike magic about a free bike ride trial ,and dragged Facebook into in, Computer says None.

These bike tests days are good fun. The best one I've done was a Scott one where they turned up at a downhill event and were quite happy at us riding the course on their bikes, suitable or not.If you're looking for the reasons young people top themselves I think you need to look deeper than Facebook. I'm not going to wade through all the stuff on Google but the parent and ex-teacher in me would point the finger at the education environment. Kids are under pressure from all sides at school: teachers, their peers and their parents too in many cases. I make a point of being a nightmare parent for the school and the parents of other kids when needs be but never a nightmare parent for my own kid. As for highjacking the thread Ross, we really don't mind, it livens things up a bit.

John Gourette wrote (see)I make a point of being a nightmare parent for the school and the parents of other kids when needs be but never a nightmare parent for my own kid. You don't think that you embarrass the hell out of him by being a nightmare for the school? 

John Gourette wrote (see)If you're looking for the reasons young people top themselves I think you need to look deeper than Facebook. I'm not going to wade through all the stuff on Google but the parent and ex-teacher in me would point the finger at the education environment. Kids are under pressure from all sides at school: teachers, their peers and their parents too in many cases. Don't worry John, I think the 'education environment' in the UK won't exist after Mr Osborne announces the results of his spending review on Wednesday....

Oh most definitely yes Mike. It's a question of weighing the pros and the cons each time I intervene and as he gets older I take the embarassmant factor very much into account. Support can take many forms, some invisible to his classmates, others less so. As you may have noticed on here I know when to stand my ground and when to ignore.As an example there were a buch of theiving **** kids in his last school. Sean had stuff nicked and I just told him to look after his stuff (no support) then the class got a collective punishment when school stuff was nicked and nobody knew who'd nicked it. The teacher justified a 1 euro fine on all the kids as "solidarity". I pointed out that I felt no solidarity with thieves, nor did Sean and we would not be paying as the fine was illegal (parental support). The teacher wouldn't back down so I put on my business suit, put a folder of legal and educational texts under my arm and went to see the head. The result was no more collective punishments and Sean now goes to school knowing that teachers are not all  powerful and have to respect the law and a code of conduct. Note that neither Sean nor myself denounced which kids were nicking stuff, we simply protested unfair punishment.

Gone are the days when you could just walk to school and tw@ the culprit.On the suicide angle France has the highest rate in Europe why is that, owlt to do with you John ?

Er, sorry to hijack the thread, but I thought I'd answer the question from before about the actual demo series :~)Anyone planning to come to Cannock (or any of the other stops) will need to have a photo id, and a credit card. There is no pre-booking. Bikes are sent out first come/first served.

How did i miss this?

When and where – the all-important dates for your diarySunday 24 October - Cannock ChaseSaturday 26 February - Bedgebury, KentSaturday 12 March - Afan, South WalesSaturday 26 March - Cannock ChaseSaturday 9 April - Whinlatter, Lake DistrictSaturday 7 May - Laggan, ScotlandRead more: http://www.bikemagic.com/gear-news/bike-magic-presents-the-demo-series/8897.html#ixzz12i5hjBcH

You can also follow us on Twitter @TheDemoSeries, and I'll be posting various bits to the Trek UK Facebook page, as well: http://www.facebook.com/TrekUK

#wonders how many kids will top themselves after visiting the Trek Facebook and Twitter pages# wink, smile etc..

Sorry hadnt read the post TBH i always feel like a spare fart at these events.  The organisers all seem very pally and chatty amongst themselves and i feel like i am asking the earth just to have a sit on one of the bikes.  Not planning on going but a tip for you guys would be to concentrate 100% on those folks who turn up rather than chatting amongst yourselves.  Actually appoach the people shuffling about rather than waiting for them to approach you.  I am a salesman and used to approaching strangers(ooerr) and even i feel uncomfortable at these things.No idea why but just a suggestionOh and facebook/twitter comments.  Sounds like finding an excuse for bad parenting imo