PDA

View Full Version : Over reaction

Phatboy da Silva
12-09-01, 12:40
I think people are going a little overboard about Dans comments yesterday. Yeh ok they were a little stupid at first, put when the severity of the situation dawned upon him his posts were purley factually. His comments on Americans bringing it on them selfs is entirly justified. The American and British governments have been using there special forces to train rebel groups in terrorism for decades. Im not saying the Americans deserved it, living in england evryone here should know what its like to be under constant threat of a terrorist attack, and its terrible. I think peoples anger would be better directed at the some of the posts in mtbr mentioned by Brant. For instance, melt them all"? Jesus, thats a wrong opinion. And i believe Tim Webster stated that he thought the IRA's tactics wern't as bad as this. Now thats a completely wrong opinion by anyones reackoning as well. Just seems everyone is getting wound up by a few stupid posts thats all. Im sure Cullen could get rid of him good and proper if he really wanted. Should he? I don't know, or care really. This is a bike web site, not politicsMAGIC.com.However, i do think it's good that there are some very intelligent going on in some of the threads, regarding politics and religion etc. Thats good. Threatening a kid who just likes winding people up with acts of violence isn't really raising the tone is it?Hopefull, like i posted yesterday, the Americans will think twice before shaking Jerry Adams hand, and the money well off bankers give to "the boys" in a far off land. "

Dan (Dirtyrider)
12-09-01, 12:48
Thanks Phatboy, ive been trying to argue until im blue in the face/fingers that everyone, bar a few has over-reacted,thanksDan

Pimp M. Jazz esq.
12-09-01, 12:50
I think everyone is a little uptight at the mo...

Dan (Dirtyrider)
12-09-01, 12:53
but unless they have lost family or families that were part of the tradgedy, then why should they get uptight ? thats what im not understandingDan

Pimp M. Jazz esq.
12-09-01, 12:56
As Dan himself has said though, and I quote:violence solves nowt". Just incites more violence. On a far lower level, check the stabbing thread.Phatboy, I'm not agreeing with you totally because I think Dan was out of order in places. He wasn't the only one, and things did tone down once the severity of the situ sunk in. On the flipside, I think others have over-reacted. Everyone just needs to chill a little and collect their thoughts."

Pimp M. Jazz esq.
12-09-01, 12:59
Human loss Dan. The fact someone has gone out with the intention of killing a whole lot of people. There are people here who have friends and relis in NY. The fact it's ultimately pointless. People not involved in the fight, whatever it is, have been used as missiles and were killed while flying a desk.It isn't cricket. That's why people are pissed.

Anne Brown
12-09-01, 13:02
We all feel some sort of emotional link to any of the people who died in such a horific way. While I do not personally know any people in NYC, I have met several people with friends and relatives there and can understand their worry over whether anyone is dead or injured.As well as that it is a shocking incident that I, at least, realise could just as easily happen here as anywhere.You just don't realise the enormity of feeling this massive loss of life has on others.

Anne Brown
12-09-01, 13:05
Well said Pimp.Next time you fly anywhere Dan just wonder if the person next to you is going to take control of the plane and smash it into a large building killing you and thousands of others.

Dangerous Brian
12-09-01, 13:06
I remember waiting to hear if any of my family had been blown up by the IRA in Manchester a few years back. Two brothers and my father worked in Manchester City Centre. It was a few (very long) hours before I heard that all were OK. If somebody had made a joke about it and then tried to tell me not to over-react, they would of been wasting their limited time .....There are plenty of things in the world to have a laugh at, I just don't think this is one of them. In my opinion it's not an over-reaction but a lack of understanding on Dan's part. Dan's just pushing the limits like a teenager until someone draws the line.

Pimp M. Jazz esq.
12-09-01, 13:12
I was near a minor IRA explosion a few years ago in Camden. People join together - there's an emotional link.The worst thing was, I rang home and breathlessly told my mum I was OK, and she was like Oh. Has something happened?"Sometimes I wonder why I bother!"

Dan (Dirtyrider)
12-09-01, 13:14
so Brian you say limited time", so you would have done what to the people that joked ?and 1-2 months down the line i guarentee that you WILL be laughing at jokes to this tragedy, as its human nature, ony last week we had a thread about "Diana Crash Pics" if we had done that 4 yeras ago then we would have been called sick bastards etcerm Brian im not a teenager eitherDan"

Adrian Davies
12-09-01, 13:17
If you could read the pathetic woe is me" email I just got from the little muppet, you'd likely have a different view of things. He basically told me that I don't know the background of how he's mercilessly picked on here, how it gets him down, how nobody who puts him down is any better than him blah, blah, blah. He obviously didn't know that I've been reading threads here for the last few months.I actually offered him a few words of friendly advice on how to try and rectify this whole mess, but judging from his posts since then, he's chosen to ignore them. "You reap what you sow" is a phrase I've long believed in, and Dan is harvesting quite the bumper crop, IMO. F him, he deserves all he gets here. And apologists like you are the reason little cumbubbles like him thrive on web forums.PS He possesses neither a passport nor the conkers to take me up on my offer of a free airline ticket to NYC."

Dan (Dirtyrider)
12-09-01, 13:20
it wasnt a woe is me email, i was just putting across te true argumentadrian i do posses a passport but cannot get out of work for the rest of the year, happily mail back in 3 months and i will see you in NYCDan

Phatboy da Silva
12-09-01, 13:22
Christ its all getting a little out of hand isn't it? Think i'll go and enjoy the sun for the rest of the day, this forums getting depressing.Taxi for one to Morzine please

the dude
12-09-01, 13:23
DanTime is a great healer and although it's still not acceptable Diana jokes won't open wounds any more but the US disaster was yesterday and the casulaties are a bit more severe than the Diana incident. People are always going to be upset at death even if they don't have any connection with these people other than that we're all human. So, it's understandable that people get wound up by tactless comments after we've just witnessed 24 hours of death and carnage. This incident was deeply disturbing so forgive us if we need some time to comprehend what's happended.

Dan (Dirtyrider)
12-09-01, 13:23
phat boy, you depresed me now, morzine, how i dreamDan

Adrian Davies
12-09-01, 13:28
Can't get out of work"????The schools only just went back didn't they, how much mopping could the toilets possibly need at this stage??It's not about "seeing me" in NYC you ignorant child, it's about you having the stones to face people directly involved with yesterday's tragedy, and showing your Funny Guy act to them. To be honest, I wouldn't even be interested in meeting you, I'd just want to see your audience's reaction to comments like "I wanted to see the top fall off". Although I must admit I've made similar comments about various birds over the years."

Phatboy da Silva
12-09-01, 13:29
Yeh, i went there last weekend and rode the DH course that Nige Page et al were riding on in Sprung 4...it's a hard life...Now if only my Scott didn't sound like it's gonna snap life would be peachy

Gary Ewing
12-09-01, 13:34
Over reaction?I reckon 'Delayed Reaction' would be closer to the point.Over the past few weeks the swear words have been less common in Dan's posts, and his spelling has improved.However the 'Hate Dan' campaign has steadily gathered momentum, to the point where Dan's comments are not considered worthy.Dan, your previous outspoken comments have not made you many friends.Until people forget your ill-considered, attention seeking, juvenile and rude comments your words will not be well received.You are the boy who cried wolf.People are fed up with who they think you are.

Dangerous Brian
12-09-01, 13:40
Dan,I don't know what I would of done but the IRA joker and I wouldn't be together for long, one of us would have to get out of the situation. (Read in to it what you will). I didn't say you were a teenager. Read my post - I said you were acting like a teenager.I understand you have to make jokes so soon because you need the attention now, right?

Drew Peacock
12-09-01, 14:26
It's a good job we all know that Dan is simply using humour as a defence mechanism to mask his true feelings.Otherwise we'd all just think he was a cunt.

Jon Brooke
12-09-01, 14:43
Ah I love the smell of testosterone in the morning" - NotPretty much stopped posting a few weeks ago due to the intensely boring posturing/swearing/gobbing-off of large portion of the soap box users, but occasionally pop back to see if anything's changed.See you all in a few weeks."

Phatboy da Silva
12-09-01, 15:06
Oh john, please, when you feel that were at your interllectual level, let us know. Im trying to educate myself but hell, i don't think i'd ever be up to your level. I'll keep trying though, and if you think i get there, please grace us with your presence. Im sure it's being eagerly anticipated.

Ancient Mariner
12-09-01, 15:17
Over-reaction? Partially. Unfortunately Dan has brought out the worst in many of us, and this has been a bit of a chance to off-load some of the guilt and step away for some. Also for one or two others, Dan is a natural soulmate, and although they manage to mask it some of the time, he has been very effective in drawing them out.As for wishing to see him excluded permanently, I'd always liked to think that this forum was for everyone who mountain biked. However if any one individual has tried systematically to erode the forum community, then it's Dan. I felt this way before the NY disaster, and yesterday's performance just confirmed it again. So what's the solution? Well, it's up to us all - the BM community. If we reply to the baits and trolls then we are agreeing with Dan and his character. Simple as that.Sorry about the sermon.

Bri Tannerly
12-09-01, 15:36
I know what you mean about his soulmates, AM. Those trying to stick up for him seem to be the ones who consistently joined in with his unnecessary, gratuitous bad language and unwarranted slagging of others of which we are only too well aware of.Brant has also asked us, several times, to stop picking on dan. Seems he would like dan to stay. Nowt to do with the fact that dan is Planet-X's biggest advertisment here on BM?

Phatboy da Silva
12-09-01, 15:42
I take it i lie squarly in the Dan soulmate catagory"?Oh no! Dragged before the BM grand council and thrown to the lions! Help!The suns gone in. Booooo."

Dan (Dirtyrider)
12-09-01, 15:43
planet-x's biggest advertisment on bikemagic ??not a single component on my steed is a planet x one, i do have on-one products though, some may say, one and the same, not meDan

jon wyatt
12-09-01, 16:06
Americans drive over 37,000 of their countrymen every year.

jon wyatt
12-09-01, 16:17
15,000 Americans are Murdered every year

Dave Smith
12-09-01, 16:17
I don't think that's deliberate Jon.

Dave Smith
12-09-01, 16:18
The driving bit that is.

jon wyatt
12-09-01, 16:19
25,000 Amercians Commit suicide every year

jon wyatt
12-09-01, 16:21
I think that last one's deliberate, still it doesn't really matter that much, it surely is a tragedy what happened and I'm bloody glad me or none of my family were there but the actual number of deaths in clinical terms will be minor.

Bent Udder
Well, I was waiting to hear about two newsrooms full of people who I knew and liked who were working in NYC yesterday. Dan's comments did not make me feel particularly charitable towards him (actually, I could happily have strangled him), but then again, I know he's only trying to get attention. That's one of the reasons why i didn't flame him. The more attention he gets, the worse he acts. So if he's saying something bone headed, one option is simply to not encourage him - don't feed the trolls.

jon wyatt
in comparison like.

Ancient Mariner
12-09-01, 16:43
I partly subscribe to Brant's wishes that BM is a resource for everyone. It's just that his resistance to some things is greater than mine, or maybe he's just got more patience. Dan - Why is it that you can post meaningful, helpful advice one minute and then complete poo the next? You obviously know some good stuff, but why does it have to come out all twisted and fouled up? I'm sure the reason people treat you like a teenager is that you post with teenage carelessness. Think of the good you could do and respect you could have with a bit more thought for others. Sometimes there's more to life than a larf.