PDA

View Full Version : Concept is good but i just dunno

Frichie
17-07-08, 15:11
My Fiance's sister started this website http://www.e-sporters.com/  a while ago, and despite doing a fair bit of marketing it has yet to get any decent web activity.Take a look and let me know if you have any ideas.My general feeling is that she is trying to tap into a function that is already dominated by other social networking sites, and while this is sport specific: aimed at linking sportsman to other sportsman as well as promoters and agents etc, I feel she has just tried to go to broad to quickly. Ie: Trying to gather too many people from the round the world in all sorts of sports rather than focusing on a few sports. Who knows maybe in a few years it will be the new Facebook. Unfotunately I cannot see it happening.

Captain Flasheart
17-07-08, 15:46
Your "Fiancé", eh? What does HE look like? I'd have thought a chap like you would have had a fiancée, surely? Anyway, enough of all this grammatically correct piffle, this sister of hers, is she a goer?

Mr.Wilson
17-07-08, 15:53
Dude, you're a Cricketist? It's a nice enough idea, I have to say she's been somewhat pipped to the post by Sponsorhouse and Loopd who do have that area pretty much sewn up (even I managed to get sponsors on Sponsorhouse!).One thing I will ask - what on EARTH is a 'Sporter'? Did something get lost in translation?

Frichie
17-07-08, 15:53
I think she would be more interested in your air hostesses flashheart... woof woof

BHB 10.6.6
17-07-08, 15:55
Remind me to look into it next week, Not sure if this is wha you're after but I know a bunch of SEO workers who sort out our clients websites for us...we design em they make the traffic work essentially.The principal works ok but the site itself looks like a holding page, nothing jumps out, it was 6 seconds in before I even worked out what they did. With some jiggery poking you can sort out the layout make it not look a template and inform the client what they do and (most importantly) why, this website is what they need not the others.Right now its just a back button website, but it has alot of promise I reckon

Frichie
17-07-08, 16:11
Thanks BHB, good feedback.

Mr.Wilson
17-07-08, 16:27
Looking at the page source the SEO team didn't do a particularly good job of picking phrases & keywords that would return hits. The keywords are:webcommunity, sports, football, tennis, formula 1, cycling, hockey, famous sports people, sports stars, sports teams"Then we get into the keyphrases:"social network, social networking, web community, sports, sporters, topsportswomen, topsportsmen, topsporters, sponsors, team member wanted, local sports team, sports jobs, gym, sports school, gymnasium, training, personal trainer, sports massage, team member, sports promoter, training plan, competitive sports, running track, famous sportspeople, sports friends, football teams, tennis stars, sports stars, myspace sports, formula 1, badminton, cycling, swimming, volleyball, triathlon, team manager, free sports events, nike, addidas, puma, sports brands "None of these keywords or phrases are featured on the page in a prominent position which is a big thing right now with the search engines.I notice that the Google analytics script is installed which is a good thing as the owner will be able to see which (if any) of these keywords / phrases are bringing people to the site. I'd be very interested to see which ones are performing ok and which ones don't get used - I can't think of a single time when I've searched for "famous sportspeople".Like BHB says it looks like a slightly tweaked template right now and doesn't grab you as soon as you open the page. First thing (and possibly the least expensive thing I could suggest) would be to update the colour scheme because at the moment it looks like the old Sport England site.It's worth taking a look at places like Sponsorhouse to see what else they are offering and how the site looks & behaves. Also, has the site owner been actively seeking dynamic promotion or is she waiting for business to come to her? It's not expensive to get some pretty major exposure in front of a huge audience in this sport - an example I can give you is a MTB company that got title sponsorhsip of the US open championships on Freecaster.tv for less than $100 - that's a pretty good ROI in anyones books!With a little work, a little more direction and a goal or purpose that is obvious to the user with clear benefits to them it could do well. But get those keywords sorted out!"

Captain Flasheart
17-07-08, 16:27
Batting for the other side, eh? Tip top.

X Commie
18-07-08, 07:27
Truthfully.I don't see how this concept is any better than a facebook group.It also looks and feels a bit web 1.0. Needs to be more phunky.