PDA

View Full Version : Long ago

Malcolm Cogglewit
09-04-08, 05:52
Bike mechanics was much easier long ago. Fitting gears to a bike was simply a matter of bolting on the rear and front mech and wiring them to the levers, which were proper levers on the down tube. Then lining up the top and bottom sprockets. Took about 10 minutes and that was it for the next couple of years. No fiddling with indexing, no complex cable routing, nice.

Dave I wasn't quite last" O-B"
09-04-08, 10:46
Yes but sh1t bike by comparison.

Milton the Sausage
09-04-08, 10:51
I seem to remember old style derailleurs being equally as shit as the current ones. Why are we still using these bloody things!

Dave I wasn't quite last" O-B"
09-04-08, 10:54
No I do agree that 7sp was a lot easier to keep sweet. Though SRAM 9sp is almost as good. What about cup and cone hubs, pre Ahead head sets, internal BB's. Any half competent home mechanic can now build and service a bike IMO

BHB 10.6.6
09-04-08, 11:18
There was no finer combo than XT thumbies and dura ace short cage mech IMHO.But I wouldn't want to run magura rim brakes again....no brake...no brake...no brake...no brake...Fuck me I've face planted

BobBullet
09-04-08, 11:29
totally agree on the thumbies and short cage road mech, best ever setup.I ran that on my first "proper" bike, christ it must be almost 18 years ago, a Raleigh Team, reynolds tubing etc ran like a dream with two chain rings and a road block (it was back in the days when I legs could cope with hills and those ratio's)I would still happily part with some hard earned for a pair of DX/XT thumbies what would work with my 08 XT setup......

BHB 10.6.6
09-04-08, 11:33
You can get dura ace 9sp thumbies as a bodge job...

BobBullet
09-04-08, 11:47
Yeah I looked at those fixtures you can get to convert them to thumbies.... Just not quite the same I thinking of doing something similar on my rocklobster.  Dura ace mech, remove one chain ring.....

BHB 10.6.6
09-04-08, 11:53
Nah you're right not the same. The indexing was sweet, and If you trashed your mech...bend it back set it to friction and happy days.

Mister Bump
09-04-08, 11:56
I remember running Sachs friction thumbies on my 15 speed Peugeot mountain bike.  Ah happy days.

BHB 10.6.6
09-04-08, 11:58
I might put my project II's back on for the weekend and make myself remember why I don't want to ride a 1993 Kona Explosif

BobBullet
09-04-08, 11:58
Yeah, the friction setting did mean you could be more relaxed about setting the mech right or could cope with trail side repairs...God I wish I kept that bike, I sold it to get enough cash for Glastonbury..

BobBullet
09-04-08, 12:13
I have just been trying to find some info on my old bike... Does anyone know of any good retro type sites which might have a picture of a raleigh team replica 531 in the banana team colours ?

Derek Hunter
09-04-08, 12:29
I've used Dura-Ace thumbies on a 3x9 MTB setup for a year now with no problems. I really like being able to fine tune the front mech for rub-free running in even the most extreme gear combo's. You do have to be careful changing into a bigger cog at the back when under load though. I have to say that most of my riding is on a single-speed, so having any kind of gear is quite a novelty.

Dalesman
09-04-08, 12:44
Bob (As fast as a speeding) Bullet wrote (see)I have just been trying to find some info on my old bike... Does anyone know of any good retro type sites which might have a picture of a raleigh team replica 531 in the banana team colours ?Just binned a Raleigh 531 Frame, dont know what all the retro shite is about. In its day it was a good bike. But compared to my modern scott it rode like a "not so good riding thing"

BobBullet
09-04-08, 12:47
Retro as in "old" thats all xcman...

BHB 10.6.6
09-04-08, 12:51
...dont know what all the retro shite is about. It's about the passion man...the riding carefree looking like a tit in that 'orange' jersey.Oakley frog skins and croakies...talking about ways to reduce trail buzz and riding proper XC before this man made spoon fed trail bollocks which makes everyone feel like they can ride single track fast.

BobBullet
09-04-08, 12:57
Testify to that BHB !

Dalesman
09-04-08, 13:09
Bob (As fast as a speeding) Bullet wrote (see)Retro as in "old" thats all xcman...Black Heart Billy wrote (see)...dont know what all the retro shite is about. It's about the passion man...the riding carefree looking like a tit in that 'orange' jersey. Oakley frog skins and croakies...talking about ways to reduce trail buzz and riding proper XC before this man made spoon fed trail bollocks which makes everyone feel like they can ride single track fast.Fcuk me I,m RETRO Old, wear an orange jersey, and first went off road on my Raleigh tourer with drops, downtube levers, centre pull brakes and 700c wheels [29ers to youths of today]

Mr.Wilson
09-04-08, 20:03
*round of applause for BHB* Well said that man.

Montgomery Wick
10-04-08, 03:03
 Bob (As fast as a speeding) Bullet wrote (see)Yeah I looked at those fixtures you can get to convert them to thumbies.... Just not quite the same You're right....they're better. Clunky looks, but the shifting & ergonomics on my thumbies (five years use so far) are surprisingly better than the old XT thumbies I once had. Forge stopped production, SJS seem to have run out of stock, so now you've only got the Pauls ones to go for unless anyone knows different.

Montgomery Wick
10-04-08, 03:57
Link (blocked in China, I had to go through a proxy)! I'm not sure about those Paul ones - although they look nice, I have a feeling the position won't be as good as the Forge ones. However, I prefer the look of the two bolt fixing to mine. On the Forge conversions, one bolt (M4, 40mm) clamps the shifter to the mount, while also holding the whole shebang onto the bar. In order to get enough torque to stop the shifter rotating round the bar, it's possible to overtighten the shifting and make the action a bit stiff.