PDA

View Full Version : Road fund LIcence insurance and buying a car over BH weekend

BHB 10.6.6
20-03-08, 10:27
The ex took the laguna and my micra is comprehensive brick to be binned.My mum saw a little 306 up by hers and It's ideal so I'm going up to have a look. the Tax ran out last week.I will be buying it (if it's a nice colour) on good friday, thus my insurance broker will be on holiday. So I assume I can't get it taxed without a cover note etc.I've got to be back in work tuesday.This leaves me in a fiddle, is it like an MOT where you're allowed to drive it to test centre directly or am I basically stumped and will have to pick it up later.I know there are some busies on here so If i were to be pulled over despite driving it from one driveway to another driveway until I can get it taxed will the book be thrown?Cheers for your ever helpful help 

Dirty Karlos
20-03-08, 10:28

BHB 10.6.6
20-03-08, 10:31
Your ungulate orientated help is always appreciated karlos

X Commie
20-03-08, 10:32
Black Heart Billy wrote (see)I will be buying it (if it's a nice colour).Does it need to coordinate with a particular handbag?

BHB 10.6.6
20-03-08, 10:33
Well it would be nice if it didn't clash with my board bag

BobBullet
20-03-08, 10:34
I think you would have to do it Billy, Although you could insure it online over the bank holiday, that at least if you are stopped you will be insured, just not taxed.You wont be able to tax it online for a few days after the insurance is taken out, I think it takes about 16 days or something to update the database. But I would imagine you can tax it in a post office once they are open.....DK, Like the pic. You and the wife huh ? Which ones you ?

The Littlest Hobo
20-03-08, 10:36
Nope BHB.  Unfortunately there is no 'going to' cover so if they catch you, you will be done for driving without tax OR insurance so it will not be worth it

Dirty Karlos
20-03-08, 10:36

Dirty Karlos
20-03-08, 10:37

BHB 10.6.6
20-03-08, 10:37
Well this is it I can probably get it insured saturday thru direct line but I know my broker would get a better deal...I've always had a cover note I can take down the post office with the mot form and the V-whatever form.Obviously I'll have none of these so even if I can get down the post office on saturday I'm not going to get a Tax Disc...there's no such thing a temporary tax disc is there?Cheers Hobo.I would be driving insured that's not going to be the problem it's just the tax really

The Littlest Hobo
20-03-08, 10:38
NOPE, he wont be insured because you are only insured IF you are taxed.  He would get done for both

X Commie
20-03-08, 10:38
Erm, your current policy may cover you to drive any car TPF&T with owners permission (your own in this case), so it would be a tax issue only and one you have a plausible reason for. Check your current policy.

BHB 10.6.6
20-03-08, 10:40
No current cover I cashed that in when the micra deaded.Ah I didn't realised Tax and Insurance were linked so closely.Ass...Looks like Bransons getting another £110 outta me next weekend  

The Littlest Hobo
20-03-08, 10:41
Nope again.  TPF&T for other vehicles only applies WHEN THE OTHER VEHICLE HAS ITS OWN INSURANCE IN FORCE AT THE SAME TIME.  I'e he would be covered If the other car had existing insurance in force with for the previous owner (Actually quite likely tbh).  BUT again you wont be able to tax it on that anyhow

X Commie
20-03-08, 10:41
Get you mum to drive you home.

BHB 10.6.6
20-03-08, 10:43
LOL now that suddenly sounds rather pathetic

Mister Bump
20-03-08, 10:44
Surely having a wad of cash in an envelope marked "car tax" would surfice if stopped by the filth?

BobBullet
20-03-08, 10:49

Sadbloke, missing for a while
20-03-08, 10:59
If you buy the car, and get the mot and v whatever form, youll still need a printed cover note for the post office, to issue the tax disc, even if you go to direct line.Swinton and budget are open on a saturday, as are others with shops, just phone around.As the tax/mot/insurance are now onthe same computer youre stuck, if you get stopped by th e police,Why not buy a car down near you, easy, or is mummy buying it for you.

Dirty Karlos
20-03-08, 11:00
Morning Sad Bloke.

BHB 10.6.6
20-03-08, 11:06
Why not buy a car down near you, easy, or is mummy buying it for you...It's one of her neighbours so I'm getting a good price, patronising cnut  

BobBullet
20-03-08, 11:09
Billy, Not that I would admit it but I had the same recently, Needed an MOT to tax the car but the MOT place is miles away. So I drove there, whilst avoiding the police and talking on my mobile the whole way..

BHB 10.6.6
20-03-08, 11:11
If your MOT runs out I'm pretty sure you're allowed to drive to and from the test centre...That's kinda why I wondered If you drive without a tax disc. Looks like a comprehensive no from hobo's points.

20-03-08, 11:13
Bhb, whats the budget, youve got.Got a new van to me last friday, free delivery, 6 months road tax, tank of fuel and 7 days free insurance.From motornation, at widnes, near the bridge.

BHB 10.6.6
20-03-08, 12:07
£1500 (not incl tax etc)

Nobby
20-03-08, 12:25
Owning a vehicle without a valid road fund licence or SORN declaration is illegal (let alone driving one) and an 'absolute' offence i.e. no leeway.  As discs are timed at month end it either has a bit left on it or it ran out last month - if so then the neighbour should've done something about it.You will need valid insurance, MOT certificate & the V5 Registration document to tax it - by going to the Post Office to do it you'd probably get away with a certificate showing Any Motor Vehicle but sounds like you cancelled the policy on your Micra?You could try DayInsure for an urgent, short term solution? There are other similar services out there too.

BHB 10.6.6
20-03-08, 12:42
Ohh cheers nobby, dayinsure sounds promising...will check that outPS I'm pretty interested in the contis and the XC's where are you to? 

Dalesman
20-03-08, 12:56
Driving without insurance is a big no no. If you get caught massive slapping if you crashed dont even think about it.But No tax  well its risky but £80 fine or £40 if paid within 28 days.Check out this for what you need,

Nobby
20-03-08, 13:03
Black Heart Billy wrote (see)Ohh cheers nobby, dayinsure sounds promising...will check that outPS I'm pretty interested in the contis and the XC's where are you to? I'm in Kent.  If you want both you can have them for £20 + postage at cost?

Dirty Karlos
20-03-08, 13:04

BobBullet
20-03-08, 13:07
Billy, There is another way.... Join the RAC, then call and say you have broken down (obviously you might need to fit a knackered spark plug or something, something which means they need to tow you) and then they tow you back home. A. I doubt its road legal but you wont get pulled.B. You can also ask the RAC chap to give his opinion on the carIts worked for me before

Dave I wasn't quite last" O-B"
20-03-08, 13:07
There is no excuse to drive without insurance full stop. As for RFL and MOT you can drive to the test centre if it is booked in. You cannot just turn up. Getting it home is a risk, if you have insurance and the V5 in hand you should be ok.

BHB 10.6.6
20-03-08, 13:28
Perhaps I was misinterpereted I wasn't going to drive down without insurance. I just wasn't sure about the paperwork etc and if Tax can be done in leiu of disc etcI'm ringing the bloke later to see if he'll tax it for me instead I assume he can he's still the current owner after all. If he can't then I'm just going to do it by the book and have to sucker up and pick it up at a later date...the saving I'm getting on the car will be almost swallowed up in train fares but ho hum...I just know the cars a good un.Thanks for all the help chaps 

mtbmatty
20-03-08, 13:28
the filf are too busy nicking people for silly bags of grass to worry about real crime

Nobby
20-03-08, 13:49
The problem is Matty that if they're in one of the cars with auto licence recognition kit attached they don't actually need to do any work - just pull you over, issue the fines & impound the car.Automated fascism I tell ya!

mtbmatty
20-03-08, 13:51
indeed when i were a lad u could nick a car drive it for a fortnite and stillllllll do a bankjob all with out tax an insurancei dunno wot this world is comin too, if its a nova i will drive it for ya 

Nobby
20-03-08, 13:57
PMSL!  Know what you mean - you still can now, but you need to stick Polish or Lithuanian plates on it (apparently).

Dirty Karlos
20-03-08, 14:05

Nobby
20-03-08, 14:11
Still wearing the latex gloves then DK?  I'm pretty sure you can't get an std from tugging.

BHB 10.6.6
20-03-08, 14:19
My Nissan was used in an armed bank robbery in germany, between preston and dusseldorf the car morphed into a big white artic!

Dirty Karlos
20-03-08, 14:20

BHB 10.6.6
20-03-08, 14:21
what was morphs mate called?

Dirty Karlos
20-03-08, 14:21
Chas

20-03-08, 16:34
what was morphs mate called?Karlos and Billy.Preston to exeter, long way to drive on a bank holiday weekend, get rac or aa cover , to be safe.

mtbmatty
20-03-08, 17:22
Black Heart Billy wrote (see)My Nissan was used in an armed bank robbery in germany, between preston and dusseldorf the car morphed into a big white artic!hahaha optimus prime??