PDA

View Full Version : Energy Saving gone....

Frichie
24-07-07, 11:43
Energy saving google: http://www.blackle.com/ When your screen is white - either an empty word page, or a Googlepage, your computer consumes 74 watts, and when it's black it consumesonly 59 watts. Mark Ontkush wrote an article about the energy savingthat would be achieved if Google had a black screen, taking in accountthe huge number of page views, according to his calculations, 750 megawatts/hour per year would be saved. In a response to this article Google created a black version of itssearch engine, called Blackle, with the exact same functions as thewhite version, but with a lower energy consumption.

Dark Lord Chuckles - Powered by Bongo
24-07-07, 11:46
I'm gonna use it coz it's a bit goth ;)

Mike! :)
24-07-07, 11:46
only really works with crt monitors though, sadly

wpuk
24-07-07, 11:53
In a response to this article Google created a black version of itssearch engine, called Blackle,Google didnt, its someone else using Googles search enginehttp://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=4&entryid=1122

Errrmmm Yesss ( Dyl, 69ers still ROCK )
24-07-07, 13:23
With TFT, the backlight is always on and it takes more power to obscure this light I think, so better off having a white only screen.Maybe.

Queeg
24-07-07, 21:12
only really works with crt monitors though, sadly" - I thought so too but was proven wrong. And I always thought it was a hoax by someone trying to get site traffic.I got a couple of my techies to check this in work today and it really does work. You save 4w on a modern CRT (much more on older ones) and 2w on a LCD - that's not "a mate of mine says" or "I heard from a guy in the pub". We've got 16,000 employees so I suppose it's worth looking into but it's still not going to have as much of an impact as getting them to turn the things off at the wall at night."

wpuk
24-07-07, 21:20
as much of an impact as getting them to turn the things off at the wall at night.Some blokes invented a remote device that works in conjunction with an extension cord, basically instead of putting the device on standby it cuts the power completely

24-07-07, 21:22
I never believed Standby still used 50% of the power as being on, it's just stupid that it would, so we tested it and well for most things it does.Stupid crappy way to build a monitor hey!!

wpuk
24-07-07, 21:29
Stupid crappy way to build a monitor hey!!Yep. All it would take is a bit of EU legislation (tries not to choke on the words) forcing companies to deploy this blokes invention (it could also be built into new TV etc as opposed the extension option) and you've actually got a measure which would make an impact on energy use within the whole of Europe. Would never happen due to the associated additional costs, would be cheaper for the manufacture to just give the usual back handers to the EU muppets

24-07-07, 21:33
Just build in a proper, entire PC has no power switch, easy

Queeg
25-07-07, 21:10
Bah. Further tests today showed that you got the same 2 watts reduction on LCD/TFT by turning the brightness down a little so you don't have to put up with negative images. Funny enough it makes little difference on CRTs.Cue the old fart: when I were a lad".... all PCs were AT format and had only one plug and an extension cable from the base to the monitor so that when you switched off the base, there was no standby mode and the power was cut completely from the monitor. Dead easy. Then there was the new ATX standard and that went down the pan.. Progress?A for "use Blackle" for your homepage..... accepting that maybe it does make a tiny difference, the only one to really gain is the geezer who invented the site and gets all the Google revenue. Damn, I wish I'd thought of it."