PDA

View Full Version : Does biking bring out a degree of deviousness ?

Reality Before Ambition
28-10-06, 15:15
I have heard many stories when speaking to mountain bikers of how they sneak new bike frames, components etc past their other halfs so as not to sit through a Spanish Inquisition on the cost.All involve a certain degree of downright lying and deviousness. Even the most straight forward and PC of us magically develop this talent as we progress from mere beginners.Which do you find works best? Deviousness or lying?

Dirty Karlos
28-10-06, 15:28
What tyre for woodland singletrack ?

bee bumble
28-10-06, 15:44
DK are you in fact Paul Merton? I detect a certain similarity in your train of thought.

Reality Before Ambition
28-10-06, 16:05
You pair of rascals!

Reality Before Ambition
28-10-06, 16:42
Karlos - The answer to your question is of course blue, providing of course you have a blue bike, thats really as technical as it has to get.I think you pair deffinitely fall into the devious camp, or is that just camp!!!!

Dirty Karlos
28-10-06, 17:32
Well ok I did used to tell the odd fib to the Mrs, but then she started to read Bikemagic so I have to keep schtum ;)

mtbmatty
28-10-06, 17:34
i dont bother tellin lies about bike parts, in my humble opinion its cretinous

Reality Before Ambition
28-10-06, 17:45
Matty - you're obviously far to PC. Nothing wrong with a good fib.... as long as they don't find out that is.

Vegemite
28-10-06, 17:51
The g/f doesn't care what I spend. Its my parents I have to be economical with the truth with - despite the fact that I left home 13 years ago!

forge197
28-10-06, 17:54
My wife supports my mountain biking and feels I should spend what I need to on it. Which is great so I don't need to tell any stories infact she encourouges it.

bee bumble
28-10-06, 18:06
forge, d'y fancy a bit o' wife swappin, she sounds too good to be true

Goaty-Death Facilitator.....
28-10-06, 18:23
The way I see it, it's my money, I earned it and can spend it on what I want. As long as the bills are paid I'll spend it how I choose......

Reality Before Ambition
28-10-06, 18:28
Bumble - isn't it true that you're now on your 3rd bike and the wife still thinks its no1? The fact that current one bears no resemblance to the original in design or colour has somehow escaped her clutches... Whats the secret to your success?

Reality Before Ambition
28-10-06, 18:30
Brave words Goaty - I take it you're still single then?

Goaty-Death Facilitator.....
28-10-06, 18:32
No, been married for over 10 years. She has her money from her job and I have my money from my job. WE share the bills and do what we want with the rest of OUR OWN money.....

Dirty Karlos
28-10-06, 18:32
LOLThe only thing my wife would notice is if I came home with a different coloured bike. She probably would'nt notice a difference between a full-suss and a HT if I quickly got the thing into the shed, but colour? come on women notice colours. Still, good luck to him :)

Reality Before Ambition
28-10-06, 18:37
Would the words I 've painted it" fool your wife?"

Vegemite
28-10-06, 18:43
Women and colours!I took my g/f to various shops today, she wants to spend up to about 300 on a bike to ride round the local lanes and tow-paths with her young lad.Despite finding some bliding deals she was more concerned about whether the red frame would clash with her trainers etc.We are still looking!

bee bumble
28-10-06, 18:58
tis true I'm afraid, the first one was an old blue rigid,the second a bright yellow 2nd hand giant which I convinced her I'd transformed in the garage almost overnight and the present one has miraculously morphed into a blue giant v2 somehow or other.... just brought a red tyre does that mean a new red bike emerging from the tardis RBA ?

Reality Before Ambition
28-10-06, 19:05
Let me just check my technical literature for the low down on red tyres.. Yep, cornering and durability look fine - a bit of mud on them and she'll never tell the difference. Means you'll never be able to clean your bike again of course!Suggest you sell it to Arry & he can buy that red bike for his bird.

forge197
28-10-06, 20:01
Be Bumble I am keeping her so no swapping 8-) But thanks for asking.

Dan : /
30-10-06, 10:06
..it's all to do with the colour like Karlos says. Unfortunately having a green bike means that an upgrade is unlikely to be gotten away with..

Stephanos Wephanos
30-10-06, 10:21
The new bike clothes get noticed, bikes are in the garage, however I'm pretty honest. If the bills are paid no problem. I do get the 'how much stuff do you need, all I need to reply is 'how many pairs of shoes do you need'. Job done.

30-10-06, 10:24
hmm, I think Mrs Dan needs to be told! She's a student and obviously on a low income, I pay most of the bills and as such really should be able to buy shiny bits for Ramasces! Right, that's it ...tonight we are having a talk!*makes note to put body armour, helmet and gloves on beforehand*

superstat
30-10-06, 10:43
hmm i experienced this for the first time last night...the missus - 'how come your getting a new bike the one you have is fine, you should spend your money and come and see me more(she is at uni)'me - 'im saving for it and i still come and see you' the missus - 'yer but if you didnt save you could see me more' is this the beginning of a never ending battle?

Milton the Sausage
30-10-06, 10:44
All new bike kit is 1/3 its actual price in my house.

30-10-06, 11:18
..sometimes you can pull the safety card i.e. I need new wheels (with shiny hope hubs) as my current wheels are buckled and could collapse at any time causing untold injuries or even death!" etc etc"

Milton the Sausage
30-10-06, 11:26
I use that approach a lot!

Stephanos Wephanos
30-10-06, 11:45
LOL at the safety approach!So far as cost goes she's as bad I asked her once how much a coat she bought cost... I got a ohhh not much which later turned into 900 Euros!!!! Now she has no right to have a go at my bike habbit.

Dirty Karlos
30-10-06, 11:46
Dirty bitch.

Stephanos Wephanos
30-10-06, 11:48
Steady! She's very nice, she just has a weakness for clothes, shoes and bags. Whereas I have a weakness for shiny stuff...

Dirty Karlos
30-10-06, 11:49
I was referring to your new steed.

Stephanos Wephanos
30-10-06, 11:50
Oh yeah, she's pure filth!