PDA

View Full Version : Leaving my job...

aka - Vegeeta
09-10-06, 14:22
I just need a quick opinion please.I've got a meeting today to assess my capability. I'm in a job selling cars, I'm the trainee and soon I'll be going on to comission.But I myself and my employer have noticed that I find the job difficult and I'm mot going to be able to make a good salary.I also did something stupid and I'm in trouble for it, that is I drove back a car that I was told not to.Anyhows, I'm thinking of quitting now. I have enough money saved to last me 4 months.What should I do?

Dan : /
09-10-06, 14:25
what are your other career opportunities? by this I mean could you go into something completely different or do you need a good reference from your current employer?

Stephanos Wephanos
09-10-06, 14:31
If your going to get sacked then maybe leave, if not stay and look for another job. A slap on the wrists is not that bad.

aka - Vegeeta
09-10-06, 14:31
Well, I could do with a good reference anyway. But I'm actually looking to get into the bike industry.

Steve Austin
09-10-06, 14:32
have you had any warnings yet?better to be working looking for work than not working.Capability assessments are funny things. mostly used before written warnings. companies way of covering their arse.

Neil Helks
09-10-06, 14:33
Take a shotgun ,take off your shoes and socks so that you can pull the trigger with your toe, load the gun , put both barrels in your mouth while inserting toe into trigger guard , apply gentle steady pressure with toe and Bingo , all problems solved:-)

Steve Austin
09-10-06, 14:33
YOU can't be sacked without good reason, and not before written warnings.

Stephanos Wephanos
09-10-06, 14:35
Steve is right it is far better to look for a job with a wage coming in. Only think about quitting first if you really think your for the boot.

aka - Vegeeta
09-10-06, 14:35
Take a shotgun ,take off your shoes and socks so that you can pull the trigger with your toe, load the gun , put both barrels in your mouth while inserting toe into trigger guard , apply gentle steady pressure with toe and Bingo , all problems solved:-)"That's helpful.Is that also true within a probation period Steve?"

Neil Helks
09-10-06, 14:40
Your probation period is just that and at the end of it you can be told you are not required , that is not the same as being sacked. You can also be sacked without written warnings being given if you commit a major offence but otherwise you have to be given 3 ; I think ; written warnings.

Frichie
09-10-06, 14:41
Well the employment laws here are pretty strict, and they cannot just fire you if you incompetent without providing you with the necessary training and skills for you to do the job. However, if you still under probation, trying to cut it in the car sales game, I think you boss and you will know whether you are sales man or not.Dont just run from the first sign of trouble, if you want to keep the job, take the slap on the wrist and or constructive criticism and ask your boss where you could improve. If he is a dick and still just fires you, you could conisder claiming compensation for unfair dismissal (if it is actually so).

Steve Austin
09-10-06, 14:45
Good companies don't want to sack people, really they don't. If it ain't going well, then try to find another job. You can be told you ain't making the grade at the end of your probation, when does it end.if you are being given a capability assessment before the end then this could be a good thing. They be looking to push you into more training.don't worry just yet. but thats easy for me to say

aka - Vegeeta
09-10-06, 14:50
Well the whole driving the car thing is pretty serious, so I'll ask if we can deal with that first.IIRC I have about 2 months left on my probation.Good companies don't want to sack people, really they don't."Well then I really am in some stink then.lolLets put it this way. When I was asked to fit a dog guard to a car I tried to get them a £135 dog guard and they paid for it. It's a £135 one because it's bolted into the car and it includes customised panels for the boot.But it couldn't arrive in time so they put in a Halfords one and charged them £135."

johnh
09-10-06, 14:54
'they' put in a Halfords one? The workshop team? against your recommendations and contrary to the customer's order?I'd say the workshop manager's head should be on the block, not yours

Steve Austin
09-10-06, 14:55
'sharp intake of breath' that don't sound too good.

Frichie
09-10-06, 15:09
who is 'they'?If you ordered them to put on the Halford one, it shows great 'initiative' and 'out of the box thinking', great 'problem solving' ability and 'cost saving'...just think buzz word!

Harry Soufflé
09-10-06, 15:13
if someone else fucked it up, why should you be the one who takes the fall for it? I'd be inclined to say something about that...if your boss still insists on terminating your employment, perhaps you should consider taking legal action for wrongful dismissal.....

aka - Vegeeta
09-10-06, 15:19
No no, that's not the reason for any of this. Well not directly. Because it was my boss who told me to have the Halfords one put in.I couldn't believe it at the time. There was £3000 profit in this car and they couldn't even loose £35 to tell the customer that will do until the proper one arrives for them.But anyway, I've just had my meeting. We did the bit about the naughty thing first. I basically said, Long and short of it, I'm a dick."I put my hands up completly because there was no way around it. But on the basis of I don't want to be there and they don't think I can do it, well, tomorrow is my last day."

Steve Austin
09-10-06, 15:21
Good luck with your new job! ;)

aka - Vegeeta
09-10-06, 15:24
Thanks.... I'm just registering on BikeBiz

starsky (crassly stupid)
09-10-06, 16:19
Take a shotgun ,take off your shoes and socks so that you can pull the trigger with your toe, load the gun , put both barrels in your mouth while inserting toe into trigger guard , apply gentle steady pressure with toe and Bingo , all problems solved:-)"Dipshit."

Neil Helks
09-10-06, 17:16
Crassly stupid even

Nick Evans
09-10-06, 17:53
I thought that was quite amusing.And are you really sure about the bike industry? It'll most likely destroy your love of cycling, you'll make no money and spend 90% of your time dealing with morons who have no idea what they're talking about, but think they know it all!And that's the case whether you're dealing with customers, dealears or suppliers!

starsky (crassly stupid)
09-10-06, 18:55
Neither of you have ever cleaned up after a suicide with a shotgun then I take it.

Ming the Merciless, SKINT! *loody motorcyles!
09-10-06, 18:59
Good luck Dave, at least on the upside you'll have more time to go cycling.

Baron von Grinder(Jack Straw fan)
09-10-06, 19:02
Stop f*cking whinging and find a new job;)Stay clear of the bike business unless your already comfortable on the money front.

starsky (crassly stupid)
09-10-06, 19:04
I'll second the Baron. I have no first hand knowledge of the bike business but anything I've read from those involved is that it's tough as hell.

Baron von Grinder(Jack Straw fan)
09-10-06, 19:06
Law.Now thats where the monies at ;)

Dirty Karlos
09-10-06, 19:07
Yeh, and you only work 4 days a week, if that!

starsky (crassly stupid)
09-10-06, 19:07
Aye, them peelers are grossly overpaid! ;-)

Neil Helks
09-10-06, 19:10
Starsky if he did it with the shotgun I wouldn't have to clear up the mess as he doesn't live near me

aka - Vegeeta
10-10-06, 12:45
Everyone keeps telling me the money is bad... but what constitutes bad? £15000, £12000???

Andrew Kinnersley
10-10-06, 13:03
I struggled with this thread. Seems to be in code for some reason. I am also in the motor trade vegeeta. Everyone makes mistakes, i once took a guy out for a test drive with one of them magnetic boards still attached on the roof. Didnt realise till it hit the car behind at about 70mph :-( Mistakes happen, thats life.Are you interested in motors? If so maybe just dont sell cars. I tried it for a few months and hated every second of it. Most car salesman are out for number one and only looking for shafting the next customer. Thats why they are on such low salaries and big commissions. They are oppertunists.I work in the commercial motor industry. You spend time getting to know customers, building relationships and you need a hell of a lot more knowledge about the industry and laws etc. We are paid quite a lot more than car sales and there is a real lack of 'younger' sales people with any interest in the job on a national scale. I know because i have heard of 2 of the biggest manufacturers throwing big bucks at dealerships to encourage them to suppliment the costs of new blood. I also find the commercial side of things so much more interesting, yer out to do a business deal that pleases both parties, not just screw them over.May be worth considering if you had a genuine interest in the motor game.