PDA

View Full Version : Worst Service from a Shop yet.

starsky
17-08-05, 09:53
At the start of the year I visited Bike Dock in Belfast and in passing expressed an interest in full suspension. The owner offred to sell my Litespeed for me to fund a full suss and was very enthusiastic about a quick sale.As the bike had not sold by the end July I contacted the shop and asked about taking the bike back. The owner asked me not to and to give him a longer time to sell the bike. I infomred him I was going to buy a second hand pair of F100 X's for the bike to possible make it more attractive to buyers.I rang the shop on Monday to tell them the forks had arrived and to arrange fitting. I was told by a salesman that they had decided my bike wasn't going to sell and they were going to have to ask me to take it away.I had told these people I was spending nearly 300 on a pair of forks to help get the bike sold. A few weeks previously the owner had asked me not to take the bike away! They knoew I was buying the forks and didn't warn me they may ask me to take the bike away.I'm now 300 out of pocket for the fork and the bike isn't sold.Am I correct in going off the deep end?

starsky
17-08-05, 09:55
Sorry for the spelling above but as you can tell, I'm absolutely furious!

Luke.
17-08-05, 09:55
i would be best pleased either.

starsky
17-08-05, 09:59
The owner emailed me and told me the salesman made the decision to ask me to remove the bike without reference to him and said I could bring the bike back.However, the same salesman told me that there was absolutely no interest in the bike the entire time it was with them.On the other hand the owner tells me that several people took an interest and asked him about it. How could I possibly trust these people again?

Luke.
17-08-05, 10:01
the owner thinks of his cut, the salesman probably only gets an hourly rate so is more likely to tell you the truth.

Luke.
17-08-05, 10:01
have you tried selling it on stw?

starsky
17-08-05, 10:04
I had tried that yes. I just don't know what price I should really be asking for it. I had it in Bike Dock for 990 but others tell me this is way too high.

starsky
17-08-05, 10:06
Problem is I'm now a further 300 out of pocket as well. How do I recover that? :-(

Matt ....
17-08-05, 10:11
sell em in the classifieds?

Luke.
17-08-05, 10:11
if it were me i'd either sell the bike as is and the forks seperatley, or sell it in bits, depending on if i could be bothered at the time.if selling on bm / stw or similar just put a price and say open to offers, or just say offers and see what people offer.

Padowan Hobbit - Another quality product from the H-SW factory
17-08-05, 10:13
eBay?

starsky
17-08-05, 10:26
It's getting the price right.The bike cost me nearly 2k new in 1999. I appreciate that I won't get that much. I actually didn't ride it at all for about 4years.I was thinking of asking for 800 with the fox forks fitted. There's a brand new Race Face Deus XC stem and brand new Race Face Evolve seatpin. Group is XTR/XT with an LX chainset. Am I asking too much?

Formerly Listed as Project (FLaP)
17-08-05, 10:33
Starsky - I am not trying to be flippant here but why aren't or don't you want to ride the bike? Sounds like a good spec especially with the new forks.......

starsky
17-08-05, 10:39
I bought a Blur in March Flap. Wife not happy about me having 2 bikes. She wants one for herself. The Litespeed is way to big for her being a 19 inch frame.I would have a problem selling the Fox forks separately as the sterrer is cut to 210mm. It's pretty short and just about fits the Litespeed.

Luke.
17-08-05, 10:51
you shouldn't have a problem selling them with a 210mm steerer.

17-08-05, 10:57
Why not buy a new frame for the wife, and plonk all the bits from the Litespeed onto the wife's frame?

Luke.
17-08-05, 10:59
then sell the litespeed frame to recoup some of the cost.

starsky
17-08-05, 11:09
Funny sizing. I have looked into this possibility of moving the components over. I would love to move the components over to something like a second hand Superlight for thw wife.350 for the frame? The current frame sells for 1100.

17-08-05, 11:14
OK I understand Starsky - I currently have 4 bikes. The g/f now rides the full suss as I bought an on-one and after putting MX Comps on it I am having to much fun with the hardtail (and V brakes) to go back to full suss. Also have a road bike and a run around - g/f thinks it funny to have 4 but she is using runaround at mo and really doesn't mind as long as I ride the bloody things........so yes Starsky I understand and yes I would also be v v v pi**ed off with shop.I actually went to a shop near me where I had looked at a road bike, but then got it 400 notes cheaper. When I told guy in shop he said that it must have been nicked and then walked away from me......!!!

starsky
17-08-05, 11:17
Any suggestions for a decent frameset about 500?If I hadn't bought the fork I would have sold the bike for 600 and bought the wife a Specialized FSR XC.

17-08-05, 11:18
350 for the frame? The current frame sells for 1100."But the current frame's not 6 years old (regardless of how much it's *actually* been ridden)."

17-08-05, 11:21
<a hrefhttp://www.cyclesurgery.com/ProductDetails/mcs/ProductID/1023780/GroupID/1/CategoryID/57/v/d00b0462-16e1-4815-9420-151f9f19bfce">this any good?<a/>"

17-08-05, 11:22

starsky
17-08-05, 11:40
Flap, That's the bike I'm thinking of biut I was going to go for the male version. If the wife doesn't stick at the cycling I then have a bike to thrash the sh*t out of during the winter and lear how to jump etc on.Hobbit, the frame is identical to the current model save for the decals. In fact, it's better than the current model which is made in Taiwan and by all accounts the welding is much inferior to my Tennessee made frame. I don't think that 1/4 the new price is unreasonable. Am I naive?I have noticed a few nice Specialized frames on Ebay as well. Starting to like the idea of building up a cheaper bike for the wife which I could use if she didn't take to the sport.

Luke.
17-08-05, 11:43
whats the complete spec of the bike as it was before the fox fork's?

Luke.
17-08-05, 11:45
don't worry just seen it on bikedock, would have thought it would have genertaed some interest.

starsky
17-08-05, 11:51
I think the guy selling it had not personal interest in the bike as he is a DH'er and therefore had no enthusiasm for selling it. That's my personal opinion.

The Littlest Hobo
17-08-05, 11:54
Just a point starsky. The shop i presume didnt charge you for trying to sell your bike, maybe just asked for a commission if it was sold.So they were doing you a big favour.Now someone in the shop has had the balls to tell you a) it was too expensive b) it aint gonna sell.Maybe the shop owner is one of them kind of guys who cannot say no and trys his best to please the customer. Maybe as has been pointed out the staff member doesnt have his cares and told ya straight.I would say thanks very much to the shop owner for trying his best and maybe you will try him again if the other methods suggested here dont work any better.Your dammned if you do, your dammned if you dont in the retail industry!!Just trying to put the shops point of view across, not having a pop cos i also would be a bit miffed.

starsky
17-08-05, 12:00
Hobo,I have no problem with the shop failing to sell the bike.What I do have a problem with is telling them that I was going to shell out 300 on a fork to assist in the sale and not being warned that the time was approaching that they would ask me to take the bike back. In fact, the owner asked me NOT to take the bike away.It's not a simple case that I asked the owner to sell the bike and it didn't sell.I was never warned that there was a time limit on the sale of the bike. I should also say that I spent approx 100 putting a new stem and seatpin into it. These were put on AFTER the bike was left in the shop.In addition, I didn't ask them to sell the bike for me. They suggested it to sway me into buying a new bike.

The Littlest Hobo
17-08-05, 12:11
Oh is that the 2nd bike that you bought. So he has agreed to sell yours to entice you into buying the 2nd bike. Correct?If so thats a little bit worse and i agree.I still think its either a case of shop owner trying to be extra helpfull, or shop owner trying to be extra greedy and hudwinking you.The buying of the bits and bobs for your bike i really think is your own fault. The worst thing you can ever do is buy extra bits of bling to try to make your bike attractive. You just end up with a more & more expensive bike and making it harder to sell. I remember your other thread about buing the forks, paid practically retail for them when they were second hand. If i was you i would split everything up and sell it all either on STW or Ebay cos it all sounds like high quality gear. Maybe the market for expensive second hand bikes is a bit stale.You had the bike for sale at 950, then you put 300 forks on it and now gonna sell for 800.a) that sounds like a bargainb) why did you not just sell the original for 650

JaseT
17-08-05, 12:20
Starsky, you make the biggest mountains out of molehills mate. I've never seen a thread of yours that doesn't carry some 'great injustice' that has been done to you :-)

starsky
17-08-05, 12:29
So i'm over reacting Jase? Guess I'd better stop posting on here then if I'm offending you so much.

The Littlest Hobo
17-08-05, 12:36
Dont take offence starsky. You should know Jase doesnt do softly softly.I understand your peeved but it wouldnt have been an expensive issue if you hadnt kept on buying bits.If the shop has said he would try to sell the bike for you inexchange for you buying a new bike you have to admit he has tried.You just complicated things by spending more dosh on it.Bite the bullet and break it up or keep it cos it sounds very nice (I will give ya 250 now!!)

starsky
17-08-05, 12:45
I'm not having rant about a great injustice". I just think it would have been nice for the shop to advise me, when the knew I was about to spend more money, that they were going to give up trying to sell it.In my first post I asked if I was going off the deep end or not. There seems to be amixed reaction so while I'm not best pleased with the way it was handled, I won't be engaging in vitriolic correspondence with the shop.By posting here I was also hoping for advice on how to salvage the situation, not yet another flaming. I have never sold a bike privately. Indeed, I've never sold a car privately!I am in fact now enthused about trying to sell the bike as a frame or possibly the frame and fork together? It strikes me the potential buyer would be a weight conscious XC type and the F100X would be a good choice of fork also."

The Littlest Hobo
17-08-05, 12:47
Here, here starsky! Was only trying to be constructive!!

Baron von Grinder (12 in the can)
17-08-05, 13:14
look!i can see a tiny hole.

ptc*
17-08-05, 13:14
I couldn't sell my my Gary Fisher Sugar 2+ for love nor money, so this week I've stripped it and built up an old kona diy matt black hardtail frame with all the XT, raceface, hope etc, it looks like a pimped out couriers nail, I love it.Anyway, it's a fun and constructive way to ease the frustrations of not selling, recommended :o)

17-08-05, 13:23
got any pics ptc ?

starsky
17-08-05, 13:24
You're much too cryptic for me BVG!

ptc*
17-08-05, 13:35
I'get round to posting pics on here eventually, but I just need a front mech, my XT doesn't fit the skinny kona seat tube, next stop Wiggle, cos they send you the instructions unlike some others...

starsky
17-08-05, 13:53
Look, I see a report from the Independent Police Complaints Commission! :-)

starsky
17-08-05, 15:00
I take you point Jase. I do get wound up too easily. Won't get into the reasons here.Apologies.

The Littlest Hobo
17-08-05, 15:09
Dont apologise to him Starsky. He will smell your fear and never let up.Just a quick FOff and everything is square. We all have stress mate, thats why i ride my bike.

starsky
17-08-05, 15:37
Cheers Hobo.Nah, that's twice I've got narky with someone on here when it was in fact someone else who was pissing me off. It's not on and I have to stop it.

steve @mtbrider.com
17-08-05, 15:37
Hi, I'm guessing your local to Belfast hence using BD, why not try advertising the bike on www.mtbrider.com, it's a local MTB site for NI riders.

starsky
17-08-05, 15:39
I might Steve.Apologies also due to the Baron.

The Littlest Hobo
17-08-05, 15:47
Dont get me started on him. He can take a running jump as well!!!

JaseT
17-08-05, 16:46
Yeah, that wasn't a personal dig btw Starsky, just in jest my friend. Whatever troubles you have i hope they're sorted soon.

starsky
17-08-05, 16:54
No big deal Jase. I was annoyed at the shop and instead of ventilating my anger at them I got hot under the collar with people on here, including yourself.The shop genreally treated me well and the owner wrote me a very courteous and apologetic email following the incident saying he saw me as a friend as well as a customer and was upset at how I had been treated by his staff.In respect of BVG, I was annoyed at someone else's comment in respect of the London bombings and get involved in a nastyish argument with him about it. I was out of order.

17-08-05, 17:54
*brushes chip(s) of (many)shoulder*starsky having just read what youve posted i have nothing but respect for you mate.Hobo! you can just f*ck right off.;)

starsky
17-08-05, 17:55
Cheers mate.

Andyh
17-08-05, 20:39
I know a couple of people who have had shoddy treatment from that shop so I don't think you are going OTT.

starsky
17-08-05, 20:54
Yes. I have had a look at the NI MTB forum and it does appear they are the Dave Hinde of NI.

Arnold Brocklethwaite-Jones (kebab eater)
17-08-05, 21:16
Go ahead Andyh, dont see you on here oftenI think Hollywood like the enduro last night :-)

starsky
17-08-05, 21:17
I was wondering when you would turn up Pete.

17-08-05, 21:21
Turn up FFS!Why do you never show yer face at any mtbrider day out ffs!bummer

17-08-05, 21:22
AndyL is having a row with crapdock too, the wheel fell to pieces on his whyte 46 and the maverick fork exploded whilst under warranty and they gave him a bill to fix it, he is not too happy

starsky
17-08-05, 21:22
Because that might actually involve riding a bike :-)Tied down with the baby quite a bit recently. WIll turn up to something just to show my face if not to ride the full time.

Luke.
17-08-05, 21:33
starsky unable to ride due to a baby, yet pete still manages with a tribe.

17-08-05, 21:33
Ahye, you should get out we have had some great rides in Tolly recently

starsky
17-08-05, 21:38
Pete, my mum in law had to have a tumor the size of the surgeon's fist removed in July. Benign thank fook. My wife is an only child so things have been a bit frantic of late TBH. That, coupled with the new job and new baby haven't let a lot of spare time.Trying to get out on the bike as often as poss to get my fitness built up so I don't make a show of myself when I do get out.I saw the vids mate. I wasn't joking, that jump you did looked pretty good. Were you launcing off something or just pulling the bike over that tree trunk?

17-08-05, 21:44
LOLThere is a ramp up to the tree trunk, if you could get along some day I will show you it. There are lots of others too :-)

starsky
17-08-05, 21:45
Tolly seems like an incredible playground!

Andyh
18-08-05, 08:20
Tolly isn't bad but it could be vastly improved if the neolithic Landowner (Forest Service) would show the same proactive approach as The Forestry Commission in GB.or is that another thread ?

starsky
18-08-05, 08:39
Are you actually allowed to ride your bike on Tolly?

18-08-05, 10:26
Well we do lol

Andyh
18-08-05, 12:16
Starsky,that's a good question, they don't allow mountain bikes and there aren't any waymarked trails however they do advertise an entry charge for bikes and there are bike stands in the main car park.Confused ? They certainly are.p.s. oh yeah they recently declined nearly 2M to develope trails because they don't want MTB in Northern Irelands Forests !

starsky
18-08-05, 12:56
I was up with the wife and kids on a recce a few weeks back and saw a group of DH'ers. No one seemed to be hassling them and there were quite a few forestry staff about.

starsky
19-08-05, 19:05
Took the bike out tonight to check it over.Front mech siezed. Front shifters not working. Rear tube punctured.Flame me if you want Jase but that simply ain't on. The bike wasn't left with the shop that way.

JohnG
19-08-05, 19:51
So you washed the bike before taking it into the shop and the water in the cables has rusted them solid. The thorn that was in the tyre finally worked through and puctured the tube. Not flaming - just making suggestions. That women's FSR would be a good buy for the wife but the man's version would be long, tall and hard for her, and the contact points uncomfortable.Second hand bikes don't go for much. Halve the purchase price then start depreciating for age and condition if you really want to sell. As mentioned on other threads I strip the best bits off bikes before selling rather than add them.

Dan (Dirtyrider)
19-08-05, 19:52
crc pooed on my wifeHOW BADS THAT !

starsky
19-08-05, 19:57
The bike was working fine when I left it woth them. The cables are Gore Ride On cables so they shouldn't be rusting.They said they would check the bike over" before trying to sell it. They washed the bike when they got it."

ptc*
19-08-05, 19:58
And I thought an unanswered email was bad.

Ambroses's sister
19-08-05, 23:08
evans in castleford aren't up to much in my (deliberately limited) experience. Satrsky, if you want to get your mrs a bike, get a women specific, or at lest spend as lot of tiem getting one that fits her well. wsd makes a massive difference - us ladies aren't just like shorter men we have different proportions too. If she is comfy on the bike she'll enjoy it more and will be more likely to stick with it. Overstretching to the handle bars and not being able to rach the brake levers is nt comfortable. We have shorter arms than men for our height,

starsky
19-08-05, 23:17
My fear is that she will go out two or three times and then drop the hobby.

JohnG
20-08-05, 08:10
Or get a real buzz from it and try to drag you out in the pouring rain like Barbara this morning - it's brightening up ### it..........

starsky
20-08-05, 08:32
Yes John, could do!

Ambroses's sister
20-08-05, 08:59
off course she's likely to drop the hobby if she has a big heavy uncomfortable bike. why not hire something decent for a few rides and see how it goes?

JohnG
20-08-05, 11:20
An MTBing wife can have a downside. On Tuesday I struggled 1300m up a local mountain pedalling and pushing about 15kgs of full suspension, 2,5 tyred bike. About 100m into the descent Barbara says can I have a go on yours?" and I'm left to rattle, slither and skit down the remaining 1200m on her Stumpy hardtail :("

starsky
20-08-05, 11:23
Know the feeling. I'm currently payimg the loan, insurance and tax on the BMW. Guess who drives it the most?

Andyh
20-08-05, 16:20
John,it's your own faul for disengaging the chain tying her to the kitchen.p.s. and back to the thread BD are well known locally to give poor serveice.p.p.s. Tollymore was great today, think that bunch of DH'ers was us, but we aren't all proper DH'ers.

20-08-05, 18:11
It was a belter and I trashed a seatpost lol

starsky
29-08-05, 10:21
Just thought I would follow up. Got the Litespeed sold to a guy in the US for 770. By the time I pay paypal fees etc I'll probably walk away with about 700.Bike shop six months no result.Starsky 2 weeks bike sold. :-)

:-)
30-08-05, 16:28
:-0

Paul Bristow 2
30-08-05, 20:52
Starsky I have just returned from my hols yesterday, read this thread from start to finish hoping it had not sold (sorry to be so candid)cos I fancied the frame.If for any reason your US deal runs in to problems and I hope it does not - get in touch, cheers Paul

The Littlest Hobo
30-08-05, 20:55
Pleased to hear things look like getting sorted starsky.

starsky
30-08-05, 21:04
Cheers. Trying to get a deal on a TALAS XTT sorted with the proceeds of sale.