PDA

View Full Version : Speeding Fine

the burberry cat
08-09-04, 12:25
I've had a nice letter from our local constabulary saying they've caught me doing 86mph on the local dual carraigeway in my car (wish i could go 86mph on my bike.. i think...), they say they have photographic evidence & want to charge me £60 & give me 3points. However as I know where this camera is I know i never speed through it. Is there anyway I can get to view the photographic evidence without having to take it to court?

Diggler
08-09-04, 12:29
you should be able to go down to the station and ask to see the photo, check if reg is clear and if not ask them to prove its your car.

the burberry cat
08-09-04, 12:32
cool, i was planning to pop down after work today.luckily my car is yellow & not at all distinctive....

Alun Hemington
08-09-04, 12:35
Just a note. Write a letter back to them> my wife got done 3 years ago twice on the same piece of road in an hour ( going to and coming back from the gym that'll learn her!) However she wrote the usual letter back- thought it was a 40 zone etc etc and they replied and said tough the fine still stands blah blah". However they never sent her the fine and she got away with no points as the extra paperwork must have got lost in the system. So before you pay write to them and see if they "lose" your fine too ;o)"

Alun Hemington
08-09-04, 12:37
No I take it back if you drive a yellow car you deserve everyting you get ;o) Throw the book at him your honour and send him down!

Kato
08-09-04, 12:38
yellow car?'tut'

Zubes
08-09-04, 12:43
Take a look at these

the burberry cat
08-09-04, 12:58
they did contact me in time - buggers& what's wrong with yellow?I've waited for so long for someone to drive into me so I can say what didn't you see me?""

Mark Sweatman
08-09-04, 13:27
As well as checking to see if it's your reg check that the speed is realistic (if Gatso type) as sometimes the camera malfunctions and you can work out from interval between shots if distance travelled matches the claimed speed. I had a friend who was fined because of a false radar reflection" and then proved the speed recorded was wrong.Unfortunatley when I was caught it was a little more cut and dried :o("

The Surfin' Kid
08-09-04, 13:34
Saw an article the other day about a chap who was accused by plod of doing 115mph (pulled over, not gatso'd). He was facing a hefty fine and ban, so he hired a pro driver to take his car on a race day at a track and prove that being a 1.2 Fiat Uno it could only do 85mph downhill with a following wind!Plod dropped the speeding charge and did him for driving without due care and attention, 3 points and a £60 fine.

Andrew MacLeod 2
08-09-04, 16:17
Also ask to see the most recent calibration report for for the radar that got you - make sure it was properly calibrated at the prescribed time intervals

Errrmmm Yesss ( Dyl, 69ers still ROCK )
08-09-04, 16:35
The 2 weeks is true.3 years ago, they had major computer software issues, loads of them including one of mine didn't get followed up on.I sent back the letter saying it was me, with no cash or license as I was skint and didn't want to, and got away with it.Doubt you'll get away with it these days though :(

08-09-04, 16:37
the law sucks, If you take it to court and the evidence is still against U, then it's upto a £1000 fine + Points, so many will just say okay dratty and not risk it.Technically, that should be illegal, innocent until proven guilty and all, amazing how they change the rules and the UK public yet again sit back and take it.

John Ketley (Is a weatherman!)
08-09-04, 20:05
I take it that you have not sent the Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP)back yet. I would not be surprised if several people had access to your car on many occasions and consequently you need to see a photograph to correctly identify the driver. You maybe cannot remember exactly who was driving the car at that time on that day. To incorrectly identify the driver you would be guilty the offence of giving the police false information! Wouldn't it be a shame if it was not possible to identify the driver from the photo. It worked for the Hamiltons!!

Mister Paul
08-09-04, 20:38
What you need to do, and I got this from a solicitor, is write, not ring. Say you weren't sure who was driving and request that they send you the photo. More likely than not they can't be a*sed to do that so you'll never hear form them again.

Mister Paul
08-09-04, 20:45
A couple of years ago our car was in the garage being repaired after some fool went up the back of us. We had a hire car for a couple of weeks. Soon after that I had a letter form the hire company, saying that I had been flashed speeding in Bolton, and that they had taken £60 off my card for an 'admin fee'. I rang them straight away and toldthem that I was in Somerset on the day in question and had never been to Bolton. The guy didn't believe me and was incredibly flippant. So I rang the cop station that the letter had come from. Within a couple of minutes the friendly policewoman who answered had got sight of the photo. She asked me what the car war (the reg was right). When I told her it was a Vectra she said that the one in the pic definitely wasn't a Vectra. I got an apology letter from the police.

Steve Austin
08-09-04, 21:21
sorry folks, but you shouldn't have been driving so fast(However as I know where this camera is I know i never speed through it.) so you speed anyway.anyone who drives too fast should be banned and i really do mean that

08-09-04, 22:45
I agree with steve on this, atleast I don't like speeding in built up area's when there is a possibility of kids around.I've got a 1 car width street, and I hear idiots at night, race down the street at 80mph, saw them 1 day, bloody police using it as a short cut, idiots, one day there going to screw up and wipe every car out down the street.

Neil Helks
09-09-04, 02:29
If nearly everybody drives at above the speed limit then the speed limit is wrong and should be increased. I,m not advocating that idiots should drive silly fast but the present system doesn,t work very well.

Luke.
09-09-04, 04:09
tough luck you broke the speed limit stop moaning and cough up, why complain about speed cameras being an injustice, next it will be rape's and murders are ok, don't say there totaly differnt because there all criminal acts!its an offence to withhold the drivers name at the time of the offence, there used to be a loophole but it's now been closed.for information on siteing of safety cameras in dorset take a look at:http://www.dorsetsafetycameras.org.uk/camera_sites/mobile.htmand before you call me a hypocrit, i don't drive.

Mister Paul
09-09-04, 06:42
Nobody said anything about witholding the driver's name.

the burberry cat
09-09-04, 07:40
In reply to a couple of people who are being all Nazi like about speeding, if it's the camera I think it is that caught me I know i wasn't speeding. The fella overtaking me may of been.However if they can supply me the photographic evidence & I was speeding then fair enough I dont have a problem with paying them.I can't believe the hassle to get the photographic evidence, the saftey camera unit that serves devon & cornwall only takes phone calls mon-fri between 9 - 10am & 2- 3pm. Hardly makes it easy to get in touch, most of us are working then!!

Zubes
09-09-04, 07:48
When you do get through, they will most likely tell you that you wil have to put it in writing, the address should be on the letter you received, so you might as well just do that, but if you are serious about fighting it, get a solicitor there is very little chance of beating the system without one.

Troll Hattan
09-09-04, 07:50
If nearly everybody drives at above the speed limit then the speed limit is wrong and should be increased" Sheesh. Spot the deliberate mistake.I hope this is a wind-up."

Paul C
09-09-04, 11:21
I got a notice through that I had been caught speeding on way to Afan last week - saw vans on the bridges but thought they were covering the other lane - my house mate reckoned I should ask for pictures, check calibration and everything but to be honest they reckon I was doing 92 and that sounds about right so I sent the form back saying its a fair cop - havent had anythign back yet though.

09-09-04, 11:25
If you increase the speed limit, people will just drive quicker and break them to.Although I can drive at 100mph pretty safely, alot of people I know can't drive at 60mph safely.I think lowering the speed to 20mph in built up areas would be good, I motorways could go upto 80mph area as cars have improved since the 70 ruling.

Neil Helks
09-09-04, 11:33
Troll - No deliberate mistake or wind up . Do you think that everybody who drives at over 70 mph on the motorway should be prosecuted ? The law should reflect what the people of this country want and it,s obvious that 99.99999% think that it,s OK to exceed the speed limit in certain places therefor the law is out of touch . I am not condoning bad driving or people speeding in residential areas but just saying that speed limits need looking at so that they reflect what happens in the real world .

Frog Spawn
09-09-04, 11:45
Not sure if I missed it , but what speed limit was applicable on the dual carriageway in question burbery ?

the burberry cat
09-09-04, 11:47
70mph

Frog Spawn
09-09-04, 11:55
Well at least not That far over it .I will not add any further than to say if you where driving at that speed pay up and learn! If you are SURE you weren't then it could be the speed camera or it could be you speedo on your car that is inaccurate.Neil don't be silly!

the burberry cat
09-09-04, 12:07
it just annoy's me the hassle it takes to get to see the prosecution evidence, surely they should send it out to you as a matter of course.

Steve Groves
09-09-04, 12:31
There has been a massive increase of 'cloning' on cars whereby somebody with a similar car copies your number plate so that they can drive like idiots and you get all the prosecutions and hassle.Where you definately on that road at that time when they say you were there?

Zubes
09-09-04, 12:36
That sounds Familiar Steve, but in connection with Congestion Charge, the guy who was getting all the hassle had to prove he and the car were elsewhere with witnesses before the authoroties believed him, quite lucky as he had 19 charges against him.Unless you have a witness cat you may not be able to follow that path.

Troll Hattan
09-09-04, 12:39
Sorry, Neil, that is exactly what you were advocating. Until bumps and cameras were put in, nearly everyone tried to do 50 on 1960's urban dual carriageways past schools, with 30mph limits. They were all wrong. Most people exceed 40mph on some narrow country lanes I know with blind corners. They're all wrong to do so. Speed limits are put there primarily for safety purposes. We are talking about maximum speed limits here. Anyone can drive slower, that's OK, but tons of metal hurtling around hurt if they hit the wrong person. And yes, I'm a rep.with points on my licence for speeding....

twopoint6khz®
09-09-04, 12:41
Personally I thought it was only in Scotland that the unidentifiable driver thing was an excuse. It ain't unusual for Gatso's to malfunction, I've been snapped several times by ones on the other side of the road, not quite sure what the picture turned out like. Also got caught by one going 108 on a dual carriageway, 2 weeks after I'd passed my test! Pretty luck there was no film in it eh.

twopoint6khz®
09-09-04, 12:45
Not sure what to make of the whole speeding thing. Sure I can understand the argument in residential areas where you're likely to hit people etc. But on a motorway/dual carriageway, there don't tend to be pedestrians wandering around do there? Even if they were, I doubt the difference between 60 and 85 would be the difference between life and death. And it really doesn't make a lot of difference whether you crash at 70 or 90, it's still going to be ugly. I think the speed limit should reflect the fact that modern cars are as safe at 100mph as 1970s cars were at 60. Yes driver ability has to be taken into account, but you're always going to get some shocking drivers out there. But they are in the minority and just because imposing a universal 20mph limit would lessen the impact of their bad driving, it doesn't mean we should.

Numpty!
09-09-04, 15:07
You puffs, the rozzers caught me speeding and E`d off me tits smoking a J, fortunately I was lying in a gutter at the time so I couldn`t have killed them all as I would have like to.

Steve Leighton
09-09-04, 15:18
Picking up on the point about motorway speed limits. Yes cars are safer than before but unfortunately the human race is not. Especially on motorway I doubt thatthe speed you are travelling makes that much difference. It is the difference in speed that messes up things. For example at 70mph you can hit a artic as he pulls in front of you doing 55 mph at around 15mph. Frightning but not lethal. How ever imagine the same scene at 100 mph. 45 mph difference would probably mess you up. Also another thought is, at 100pmh+ could a driver safely bring the car to a halt after a blowout ?Check out this site for some horrific piccies.http://www.wreckedexotics.com/

Numpty!
09-09-04, 15:24
We need to create faster trucks.

Mister Paul
09-09-04, 15:39
Statistically (here we go again!) motorways are the safest roads to drive on.

Mike the Bike (when its not raining)
09-09-04, 16:19
Just a though for you speedersTwo cars, first doing 70mph is being overtaken by a car doing 100mph. They both brake (same cars etc etc ) as hard as possible - what speed is the second car doing when the first one stops???Apparently - 70mph (down from 100) - which might make some difference to the person, car BICYCLE, horse you are trying to avoidSpeed is not clear or big - that's why I only ride off road now - I prefer trees to out of control nutters......

Troll Hattan
09-09-04, 16:25
'Course they are. Everyone going in the same direction, no side-roads for traffic to pull out of, no tractors, bikes, peds, skaters, and room to overtake without hitting oncoming traffic.Stopping distances increase with the square of the speed, so stopping from 100 takes twice as far as from 70. If you'd ever had to jam your brakes on for real doing that speed, you'd know it was too fast.I still think the best idea [for cyclists, anyway]is for seat belts and airbags to be made illegal. We'd drive a bit slower, then.

Steve Austin
09-09-04, 16:27
big spike in the middle of every steering wheel might make people drive slower, or strapping their own children to the bumpers might work..........

A small thing is a good thing
09-09-04, 16:37
cyclists use dual carriageways

A small thing is a good thing
09-09-04, 16:38
and i dont just mean to drive to Afan with their 4grand bikes on the back of the car!

Dan (lover of Jam)
09-09-04, 16:49
as cars have improved since the 70 ruling."Cars have, but drivers haven't. There's also about four times more vehicles on the roads now.Steve Leighton on the previous page is spot on, many motorway crashes are because of people doing 100mph hitting vehicles that have pulled out or failing to stop in time for queing traffic. As pointed out above, most people have no idea what the stopping distance from 100mph is (basically, miles) so still drive far too close together.If, IF people all drove with an appropiate gap between themselves and the vehicle in front, and had decent lane discipline, there could be a case for raising the 70mph limit.Re - indentifying the driver. In England and Wales, the police don't have to prove who was driving. If no-one admits to it, they just fine the owner of the car instead."

Dan (lover of Jam)
09-09-04, 17:10
Some mad stuff on that exoticwrecks site. Hard to tell some of them were cars, several of them probably involved the use of dust pan and brushes to collect the bodyparts...

Mister Paul
09-09-04, 19:12
I used to work with an ex-pc. She told me that part of her induction was to walk along a dual carriageway after a high speed crash between two cars, and collect the body parts into a plasitc bag.I don't think anyone would appreciate the danger in speed on a motorway until they experience for themselves either a crash, or high speed incident where they have to do an emergency stop. Sitting relaxed in a lovely cosy car with the radio on at 100mph kind of hides the potential danger.

Neil Helks
10-09-04, 01:52
If everybody thinks that 70 mph is fast enough how come when you get on a motorway everybody drives faster than that given the chance.

Troll Hattan
10-09-04, 07:31
'Cos we're stupid, and being in a car makes us stupider.If the limit was 80mph, of course we'd all drive at 90+. SO let's keep the limit low.

Steve Leighton
10-09-04, 10:32
Neil,Because we can and we are all brillant racing/pursuit drivers aren't we ?And the crumple zone, role cage, air bag, seat belt.......will keep us nice a safe in the event of an accident.Troll,Unfortunately people will drive as fast as the vehicle will let them, not the conditions. Even if the limit was lowered i.e. on the M25 or roadworks, you will always get the muppet trying to do a ton.Not that I disagree with your way of thinking.

Mike Davis
10-09-04, 10:38
I find having a rather underpowered car keeps things entirely sensible ;-)

The Surfin' Kid
10-09-04, 12:00
So if I'm doing 70 in my Nova (I know it's a sh!t car but I can't afford anything else - and it's not a chavved-up boy-racer one either, it's an old person's model) with its skinny tyres and drum brakes, and I slam on the anchors at the same time as the missus who is doing 100 in her A3, with its wide tyres and ABS disc brakes all round, who'd stop first/quickest? Having driven both extensively I'd back the A3 any day.Not that having a better car is any excuse, mind, it still doesn't improve your reaction times.

Steve Leighton
10-09-04, 13:02
Surfin kid,Your missus would be relaying on the electronic wizardry and mechanics to get herself out of trouble. You on the other would not be able to get into that trouble in the first place. Therefore you will driven with the cars abilityTurn it the other way, she pulled out in front of you and hit the anchors, would the nova be able to stop before hitting the A3?

Mike Davis
10-09-04, 13:06
Interestingly in real world situations ABS often doesn't do anything. People tend to brake as if they haven't got ABS and try to feather it, even though they're not as good at it as the computer is. And as a result don't stop any quicker.

twopoint6khz®
10-09-04, 13:18
Possibly worse is my car with ABS that randomly fails to work, usually at the most inopportune moments. Best get that looked at, 2 tons of estate car doesn't stop very quickly at the best of times.Worst of all however are 4x4s, they've got such a high centre of gravity and ride height that they dive horribly and skid. Plus the fact that they weigh more in the first place...

Steve Leighton
10-09-04, 13:41
Mike, Agree with you on both.Do people really need a car that can do 130 plus in a country that restricts you to 70 ?Rounds off the arguement nicely as we are back at the beginning. ABS or no ABS2.6, 4x4, I'd go even further. Set up for offroad, soft suspension with lots of travel, big tyres with block tread designed to clear mud. Never really desined for tarmac where they ?

twopoint6khz®
10-09-04, 13:43
Do people really need a car that can do 130 plus in a country that restricts you to 70?"Well, sort of, because if every car was only capable of 70mph at a push then they'd all get shagged pretty quickly. From an emissions point of view too, there is a balance between having a small engine and ragging it, and having a too-large engine which pollutes. Somewhere in the middle is ideal. I'll stick with me 1.3 for now, the insurance is astronomical as it is..."

Owen Pleasance
10-09-04, 21:14
Having just passed my test (thursday), I stick to the speed limits, I get most people sitting about 2ft off my back bumper cause they want to do 40-50 in a 30 zone and think that I should too (So does my car.) That to me is more dangerous than someone doing 80 on a motorway.When they do this however I love coming up to the derestricted signs and flooring it. Leaving them wandering where the hell I've gone. Before you ask, its a decent car not a chavved up nova/golf/saxo/clio etc. 405 Estate 1.9TD

Owen Pleasance
10-09-04, 21:14
Should add that I still stick to the limits even when doing that.

10-09-04, 21:54
Nice Ccar I used to have one.The nobbers that try to get in your tradesman's entrance are complete fcukwits!

10-09-04, 21:55
Sorry I thought I had cured the s s s stutter!

10-09-04, 22:08
Mike back to your ABS.In some cases, mainly dry road when U can really nail the breaks and get the wheels near locked but not quite, I find the ABS kicks in and actually makes your distance worse.On a wet muddy road, over taking 2 lorries, got past the first one and the second one started to turn right into a make shift estate, I was doing my best to stop forgot about the ABS as you say, I started to skid thought I'd dead, ABS kicked in Car stopped I lived, without ABS my I'd of lied down and lost the roof for sure :)Ofcourse, without a sports car I'd of never of gotten into that situation in the first place LOL2.0 16v Honda Prelude is perfect for me, accelorates quick enough to over take safely, handles excellently ( 4 wheel steer ) and ABS works nicely not to sensitive, best bit is only cost me £700 and 36MPG average :) Strangely most of the time I drive it slow, cause I don't want to damage it!!!

Steve Leighton
13-09-04, 09:37
On a similar but different topic, anyone been done for speeding on their bikes. Been pulled twice with warnings, but now trying best to get a camera to flash.

13-09-04, 09:44
I do know that Gloucester Police was reported to have pulled a roadie for cycling furiously" - apparaently against the law - for doing 23mph - on the road???If you try hard enough it wouldn't be diff to get pulled tho - try a busy high street - no cycle allowed for instanceNot too smart if cyclists are trying to gain the moral higher ground on speeding if we think that speeding on a bike is ok??"

Steve Leighton
13-09-04, 10:08
I was last pulled 15 years ago for doing 25 in a 20" zone out in the Yorkshire Dales. Shortly after being pulled by the same copper at the same spot. Would never think about riding in a no ride zone nor under dangerous conditions. Switched back to mtbing after being knocked of road bike at 20mph.I never said that speeding was okay on a bike, just asked anyone else has been pulled. Maybe I should have prosecuted. As for the speed cameras is it possible ?"

twopoint6khz®
13-09-04, 10:17
I don't think a bike has a big enough radar signature to set one off, although it could happen I guess. I remember some thing a while back where some guy got done for drafting a lorry at 45mph allegedly, he denied it saying he was unfit etc... there was also some bloke got nicked in Cambridge town centre (at 4am or something) cycling furiously". They allegedly clocked him at 53mph! He must have taken a run-up down the one hill in town and pedalled like a man possessed. There's some cameras in Mottram which you can set off on a bike quite easily cos they're down a steep hill. But they're not gatso's, they just flash up "SLOW DOWN"."

Dr Dolittle the pedalling chinchilla
13-09-04, 10:32
Do people really need a car that can do 130 plus in a country that restricts you to 70?"I roll out the same question everytime someone jokes about the 86mph limiter on my Smart. But even so I know that Jen's Focus is a far safer bet trying to overtake between 50-70mph because the Smart really runs out of puff there.In reference to speed limits - I suspect they will go up, at least on the motorways. Plans are afoot for Europe-wide limits, mainly based on the French/Italian model. In town that means not real changes, but the motorways go to 130kph (approx 85mph), dropping to 110kph (70mph) in bad weather. Since the weather is always bad that means most of the time we'd see little change. As to safety, well it works in mainland Europe. I drove over 2000 miles across France, Belgium, Switzerland and Luxembourgh without seeing a single major accident, traffic jam etc. In fact, despite the fact that in town French drivers are dreadful, far worse than the UK, on the motorway they are much better. It can be done......Oh - and on the subject of speeding: My old neighbour worked for Tameside police, in traffic. He claimed that something like 70% of tickets handed out by Gatso's are to non-locals. Most of these are doing 40 in a not clearly marked 30 zone, or similar. Those caught are often not intentionally speeding, they are just unlucky. The locals meanwhile know the locations of all the cameras and tear around at breakneck speeds, only slowing down briefly for the camera. So its not a safety system, its a tax on outsiders......"

13-09-04, 10:53
'Most people exceed 40mph on some narrow country lanes I know with blind corners. They're all wrong to do so.'Actually they aren't, because in all likelihood the offical speedlimit for that section of road is 60mph. This is a common misconception - the speed limit is determined by the class of road but its a generic system. Just because the limit for a particular section of road is say 40mph doesn't mean there aren't certain bends you can't actually do over 20mph. The road to my girlfriends work has such a bend. Assuming driving along constantly at the speed limit is safe can be every bit as dangerous as those who exceed it on straights and then slow down for corners. Lastly a classic quote from Dylan, which sums up the entire traffic problem. 'Although I can drive at 100mph pretty safely, alot of people I know can't drive at 60mph safely'The reason I've picked that out is that I'm sure loads of people think that. The unsafe drivers are always the other ones. Sorry Dylan, wasn't meaning to pick on you, I'm sure you are a safe driver, but you do see the point.....

13-09-04, 14:42
SL Sorry for the slur - didn't read the pot properlyI think the point on blind corners at 40 on country roads refers to the fact that tearing around any blind corner where there might be a horse, tractor or cyclist is not good.just been watching a Sky prog on accident black spots - compulsory viewing for everyone who thinks they are a good driver!!!None of us are really any good compared to say police trained drivers, advanced motorist instructors - and they mostly drive slowly and with consideration as driving is a dangerous occupation. Its just we don't believe it is so. If we did then I wouldn't get overtaken in fog on the mway or in heavy rain or tail gated in icy/wet conditionsMost people are rubbish drivers - I go slow because I know I'm rubbish. That's why 3000 die each year - mostly avoidable if we all chilled on the road - or maybe as local roads and local trips are so dangerous (look at offical stats) we should walk and cycle more or get better complusory training and retesting - many drivers round here can't even stay in lane on a roundabout - what chance a cyclist on a narrow road etc etcI have to say its not always speed - I was nearly driven off the road by a volvo coming the other way overtaking a charity cycle ride - apparently neither my or theri lives were as importnant as etc etcjust chill especially on the roads - I'm sure we're all lucky not to have killed/injured someone so just chill - your journey is not worth a life?

Montgomery Wick
14-09-04, 07:23

Troll Hattan
14-09-04, 12:29
Thank you MB, you're right with the comment on 'Most people exceed 40mph on some narrow country lanes I know with blind corners. They're all wrong to do so.'Wrong and illegal are different. It's wrong to drive like a fuckwit, even when it's not illegal. 40mph round a blind bend is stupid, if not specifically prohibited.

Steve Leighton
14-09-04, 12:44
Mike,Understood, the post was not that clear.Totally agree with you on the rest. Namely becuase at 21 I was training people for the advanced motoring test.2.6 Oh well, good bit of sprinting practice.

14-09-04, 14:12
Mike, Troll. I'm not disagreeing - my point was that a lot of people view the speed limit as the speed you can safely drive that bit of road. Anyway - this argument only reinforces that idea that static speed cameras in no way improve road safety. You can drive stupidly fast around corners, overtake dangerously, cut people, tailgate, swerve etc etc and generally drive like a total tw@t, but as long as you go at the speed limit over the little white lines you can keep your licence......

Alun Hemington
14-09-04, 14:51
Just a tip for those of you coming to wales. There seem to be more speed traps here than most other parts of the country- beware and white van on the side of the road/motorway bridge etc. And my car which does 130 is much safer than a car that only does 70 as I can overtake safely on narrow roads. + it's fun too!

14-09-04, 15:13
overtake SAFELY on narrow roads"?????Hope this means single carriageways with good visibility etc etc"

Alun Hemington
14-09-04, 15:18
yes eg most roads in wales. bloody hell it's like the road safety police on here at the mo!

Dan (lover of Jam)
14-09-04, 16:20
Doing forty round a blind corner may well get you up on a charge of dangerous driving if there happens to be a camera car behind you! And having been pulled over for spot checks three times in the last three years, I can say for sure you'll have had an unmarked police car behind you many times and you'll never have known.You can also indeed set speed cameras off on bikes. Good for a laugh and not a big deal as you won't be able to maintain the 35mph or so needed to do so for more than the length of the radar scan area.I don't understand why everyone isn't more chilled out when driving though. What's so terrible and difficult about sticking to speed limits?

Steve Austin
14-09-04, 16:24
i reguarly go through a speed camera at well over 40 (30 zone)and have never set it off.i don't think bikes can set them off

Dan (lover of Jam)
14-09-04, 16:31
Plenty of bikes have been recorded on Gatsos, I don't know anything about your own situation though so can't comment.If everybody thinks that 70 mph is fast enough how come when you get on a motorway everybody drives faster than that given the chance."I don't.BTW a little aside: I had a mum on the school run (in a massive Landcruiser, natch) pull out on me today, as she thought that as the lorry I was overtaking gave way to her I would too. Er, no, I won't! Cue exchange of 'pleasantries' with bloke in passenger seat.Does anyone else secretely enjoy it when this happens? Gets the adrenaline going on an otherwise dull commute :)"

Steve Austin
14-09-04, 16:53
you'll get squashed one day doing that dan, i did.....

14-09-04, 17:13
Dr Dolittle!!! No Offence Taken !!!Strangely when I was young I'd drive up a dual track late for work @110mph seriously, the car and me could do it easily, never a problem but used to do it safely well kinda!!!I don't drive that quick anymore, infact generally stick to the limits.I know people, who I refuse to be driven by, cause at 50mph there just scarey, and incase of a emergency I KNOW they will panic and not react at all.Near miss yesterday, a tractor with double rear wheels, saw the tractor, doing 60mph on some bends, then realised crap tractor is using 1/2 of my Lane, just scraped by using the verge, slowed to 25mph in a heart beat to, luv my car. If I was your average idiot doing 70mph+ I'd be dead most likely at the moment.Most drivers, drive like there life is so important, if they waste 2mins getting from A to B it's a serious crime, ( when they get home, they'll just TV anyway ), don't seem to realise there going to get themselves killed, Refering to a dumb mate who thinks I drive to slowly, but is lucky so far!!!

Steve Leighton
14-09-04, 19:00
Driving and riding at the right speed is simply asking three questions every time the situation changes.Is the speed safe ?Is it legal?Can I do it ?Is it me or are people getting stuck in ruts ?In a built up area, i.e. 30 zone, it's either 25 or 40.In the countryside 60 zone either 40 or flat outOn the motorway either 55 or flat out.

14-09-04, 19:02
According to most drivers, the accelerator pedal is just a on/off switch.

Steve Leighton
14-09-04, 19:08
It is on the play station ! Still have not got my head around using a stick to accelerate/brake.

_| [] |-| /\/ {ö}
14-09-04, 19:52
I really havent got a problem with people exceeding the limit if it is safe to... ..what pisses me off is people who drive at 40 down roads with a 60 limit and hold up all of the traffic behind them - this is what annoys people and makes them pull off some really dangerous overtaking manouvers. And then what takes this piss is when you hit a 30 zone with schools and kids about and they still carry on at 40!

14-09-04, 19:59
it's normally 45, to be fair.If you overtake, 5mins later you'll likely hit someone else doing 45, and 20miles later you'll get stuck at a junction and the car U overtook risking your life and others pulls in 3 cars behind U!!!Ever considered that driving at 45, really isn't that slow and is actually safer for the road your on ??The not slowing down past schools is stupid though, small roads or kids around I slow to 20mph, if only to look at the mom's :)

Mike Davis
14-09-04, 20:26
Unless you're driving a really long way, the time you save by driving 10mph faster is insignificant IMHO. My car starts getting noisy at 75 so I don't go faster than that ;-)

14-09-04, 20:31
Most of the time, I've got the bike on the back and I get worried about it flying off, much over 60.That and if I keep it slow I get 35 - 40 mpg, start booting it I get sub 30, I'm not rich.Barely get 30 though with the bike on the back, damn bike keeps costing me :(

Dan (lover of Jam)
14-09-04, 20:49
If you overtake, 5mins later you'll likely hit someone else doing 45, and 20miles later you'll get stuck at a junction and the car U overtook risking your life and others pulls in 3 cars behind U!!!"Very well said Dylan! Long since given up being 'frustrated' by slow drivers, not least because of the times I have overtaken, exactly the above has happened :)"

14-09-04, 21:22
I've got a mate, who just left who nearly kills me for every 50miles of driving atleast twice, get angry cause the car should be going quicker.Sad part is, his wife can't drive for toffee anyway, and he's trying to teach her his bad habits, Scarrrryyyyyy!!!

14-09-04, 21:24
Actually I wouldn't agree with that. I always try to overtake the 40mph cruisers (at the first safe opportunity of course) and get as much distance as possible between us. Why?Well quite simply I believe these people don't know how to drive. They stick at one speed everywhere because they can't control the car any faster than 40 on open road, and don't recognise when they need to slow down in built up areas. I'm more than willing to bet they aren't looking where they are going either.I consider them an accident waiting to happen.I've never seen a bike set off a speed camera, but I've set off Gastos with a model car before so I figure its possible.

14-09-04, 21:29
I'd say, most of them just aren't in a hurry, they've realised why rush to get there, it's not like it's going to that exciting when they get there.I will say, in a circumstance when I can't get past, I do prefer to be well back just incase.Model car hey, interesting.

14-09-04, 21:29
Dylan - as it happens teaching his wife might well help. Teaching Jen how to drive has really improved my driving. I'm much more aware of the habits I've picked up as a result. Worse still I tried her trial theory test and barely passed!

14-09-04, 21:34
Oh no, not going to help, she'll go along with it, cause she thinks he's a great driver, and he's convinced that he should be able to drive everywhere at 80mph+ and actually does go around most roundabouts sideways, literally. 33 but a big kid, ugggg.How he survived blatting around everywhere at 120mph+ on a motorbike I'll never know, as I say though he's lucky, last time and first time I powered around a ring road, I hit a diesel spill from a crash which happened there 30mins before and ended up going backwards towards a wall, but he gets away with it all the damn time.

14-09-04, 21:36
Dylan - if they aren't in a hurry then why do they speed in the 30 zones (the place you should be slowest)? They stick at 40 because then they don't have to think about changing gears etc. The car was a Schumacher Nitro Storm XT, capable in theory of something in the region of 60mph, against a 40mph camera. It took several runs to set the camera off because the car is so small you have to be right in the centre of the radars scan area to get a decent hit. In fact that might explain why bikes don't get caught much. If you are tucked quite close to the kerb you aren't in the scan area.

14-09-04, 21:40
She'll never pass if she drives like that! No matter how great he or she thinks he is, no examiner will agree. She'll have to learn to drive test style.In truth nobody drives test style except learners. But its a shock seeing how far you deviate from it without even realising!

14-09-04, 21:41
Humans don't reflect and a bike frame proberley doesn't give much of a return. Can't think of any near me on a hill to test it, barely get the bike quick enough anyway.Anyway, most drives doing 60, don't slow down for 30areas anyway, so infact the 40Mph brigade are doing good, in there own way.Personally around here, U get a short 30 zone and there is bound to be a pig hiding behind a tree to get u.60mph radio car, sweet :)

14-09-04, 21:42
She passed, years ago, first time due to scaring the instuctor enough to not want to sit there again.Most of the people I know, who passed first time are just dangerous and keep having small accidents.bloody drivers.

Rabster
14-09-04, 21:49
Most accidents are not caused by speeding, but Inattention". We could all drive around at whatever speed we wanted if everyone would pay attention to what is going on around them, not just directly in front of them but all around them.Most drivers are concerned about either,themselves, the music on the radio or the scenery. I have a fast car and a fast motorbike, I drive/ride them in a safe manner, i.e. I look where I'm going , I look around me, I dont go barreling into blind bends and I always expect the vehicles around me to do something stupid(which they usually do)so I am prepared to take avoiding action. I can drive fast along a quiet road but then drive slowly when it gets busy,as long as you realise you are not on a race track then I don't see the problem. If I drive "too" fast down an empty motorway and get caught I will get a big fine and could go to jail. I may have broken the law but no one has been harmed. If I stab you in the street or mug an old lady then I MIGHT get a fine and/or a slap on the wrist. A clapped out Micra with two grannies inside, talking about scones and knitting, travelling at 45mph is alot more dangerous than an observent fast driver."

Curious-Orange (45 & counting)
14-09-04, 21:55
Reminds me of the `experiment` they did on top gear a while back.They tried to ascertain just how fast you'd need to be going in a car to avoid being photographed... 170mph :-)

14-09-04, 21:57
It's the Stupid driver who pulls out without seeing you, or parks blocking the road just out of sight around a blind bend, that is going to ruin your day.14years of driving not 1 accident, loads of near misses but hey 95% aren't my fault.

Baron Von Grinder (play park boxxer)
14-09-04, 22:02
LOL @ me reading this and trying to watch the intro to chevy chases vegas vacation :)very appropriate

14-09-04, 22:03
How's that light work then ??Why aren't U off out hucking it on the trails dude :)

14-09-04, 22:07
well i now have an appreciation of how crap 5watts are.to be fair it is a DIY job and it would do for commuting.of up to the local sparky dealers in the morning for a nosy at some brighter bulbs.

mtbmatty
14-09-04, 22:12
alright digger

14-09-04, 22:13
not bad matty but im just about to call it a day mate.hows your day been ?

14-09-04, 22:14
Hey Matty, your not around alot these days, been on holiday or got a life or something ??5watts, is pretty poor!!!

14-09-04, 22:15
yes dyl and the lense is frosted (remembering it came of a cam corder)but the casing is almost identical to many of the latest bike lights making it a good platform to work on.

14-09-04, 22:16
Frosted nice :)

14-09-04, 22:16
ill fanny around with it and chuck it round the house in a temper until the wife gets the hint and lets me buy some proper ones :)

mtbmatty
14-09-04, 22:17
not a lot pretty poor weather today only managed to do a couple hours got in a ride took the dogs out and done some stuff round the yard

mtbmatty
14-09-04, 22:19
lol@ dirk and his man tactics

mtbmatty
14-09-04, 22:19
was supposed to go on hoilday dyl but had to work instead

14-09-04, 22:20
planned on a ride myself, weather sucked, decided I couldn't be arsed and done Zero all day really :) fun though.

14-09-04, 22:20
ive been decorating again :(done a deal with the other half ill do the walls and she can do the woodwork.weathers shit here aswell mate, need to stop being such a poof and get out there.

Rabster
14-09-04, 22:21
Speed....Lights.....?

mtbmatty
14-09-04, 22:26
hahahahah you said it mate

14-09-04, 22:27
LOLright im off to bed now fellas.good night

mtbmatty
14-09-04, 22:33
later mate im going that way myself soon