PDA

View Full Version : Leith Hill trail names...

Padowan S (Mincing seafaring hobbit)
08-03-04, 14:32
Right. We were on the North Downs yesterday and, having enjoyed a particularly good blatt across Telegraph Road (very possibly the best trail up there IMHO) we headed towards Silent Treatment / Barry Knows Best / That Nice Windey Technical Trail The Ends Up On The Road Back To Peaslake At The Bottom* by way of a wide sandy track. Halfway up said track, utterly bored with battling against the sand, we noticed a spectifcally made trail heading into the woods to the right. We took it and were delighted to experience a lovely fast twisty singletrack cutting through the woods and ending up on another firetrack just before the start of Silent Treatment.For all of you know know where I'm talking about and are still with me, does this trail have a name?* Your choice.

Charlie T
08-03-04, 16:29
I think that sounds like the top of Reservoir Dogs. But I might be wrong.

08-03-04, 16:33
Ah. (If it's any help, the trail is marked with a red and while sign nailed to a tree which can be seen as you turn right off the sandy firetrack and into the woods...)Well, as far as we're concerned it's now known as Dogging Alley" after a conversation about a riding chum's shorts, some dog excrement, a woman dropping off some litter in Peaslake that she "found in the woods" and a certain footballer's recent nocternal activities..."

Charlie T
08-03-04, 16:35
Oh, I know the trail you mean. Goes through some Rhodedendron bushes at the start?

08-03-04, 16:36
That's the one.

Charlie T
08-03-04, 16:40
Don't know what it's called though.

08-03-04, 16:41
Dogging Alley" now ;-)Gotta say, it really is a very tasty piece of twisty singletrack, and the perfect connecting run between Telegraph and Barry's."

Charlie T
08-03-04, 16:45
Yup, there's a whole load in there. I found a few new lines last time I was out there as well. All ready for the forthcoming CT's got a new job" ride!"

Hoot of the Smoot
08-03-04, 16:54
When is that?

Charlie T
08-03-04, 16:58
Dunno yet!

Hoot of the Smoot
08-03-04, 17:05
OK keep me posted. But I'll let you know now that I can't do 14th March or 4th April.However may be able to wrangle a evening ride in Richmond at the end of the month as am on a Course in Guildford, unless there's something useful there!

08-03-04, 17:07
Where? Guildford or Richmond?

Mal Grey
08-03-04, 17:08
CT - can ride tomorrow if you're still free, & still have transport to Leith or wherever! Hoorah! You up for it? If not I'll probably be going anyway if anybody else is about.....And I need to learn all these trail names properly - I've been down a few of them but never know which is which.

Charlie T
08-03-04, 17:10
Sadly I need to be at home tomorrw, so can't do so I'm afraid. Will take you folks out there for a ride soon, and you can bring a pen and paper to write down all the names! (Take notes, there will be a test later.....)

08-03-04, 17:11
Very true. has anyone actually produced a map with trails AND names? I've got Nirvana's extensive trail map, but it's sadly nameless (and therefore bloody difficult to read / orientate from...)

Mal Grey
08-03-04, 17:16
What qualification will we gain from the University of Leith & Holmbury? The more I can bang on my CV the better at the moment. PhD in the Useful & Entertaining use of Gravity as a means of Propulsion?

Mal Grey
08-03-04, 17:17
Oh, & another time Charlie, anytime you're heading out I'll probably be free these days! 'cept Saturday's 'cos that's climbing & drinking day...

Charlie T
08-03-04, 17:20
You could get a BA.(Brown Arse! From all the falling off!)

Iain Haskell
08-03-04, 19:04
do you mean In it for the money" ?? starts at the carpark by the big log you can either go left and follow it through untill you come to the main track and go straight over or right on to the main track turn left go down for about 100 yards and turn right and then follow it round to the resevoir or turn off down "i should coco"."

Hoot of the Smoot
09-03-04, 08:37
Huh?Pad, Guildford, any riding to be had there is what I meant!

09-03-04, 09:46
Could well be Iain. Darn, I REALLY need a map with names on!Hoot. Ah. I getcha. Riding in Guildford? Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell there is a little known riding area just to the east of the town ackshully. It's called The Surrey Hills" ;-)"

Chris (Kenny) Lawson
09-03-04, 10:14
Any particular reason why they are named after Supergrass songs Iain?

Iain Haskell
09-03-04, 17:51
erm .... dunno i like their music though, most of the trails are named after some band or anothers songs, simon at nirvana is a big fan of captain beefheart so there are some strange trail names knocking about.Alot of the trails are also known by different names depending on who you ride with ie golden birdies/barry knows best.

Christian Bridge
09-03-04, 23:39
Interesting read this thread. Have spent the last 3 years in Holmbury. If you need a PhD for your CV then the Mullard Space Science Laboratory is in Holmbury. Sure you could get away with that one. Never heard the trails round there called anything. Though I suspect that's because I never bothered finding out. For rides from Guildford then as mentioned, just head east. Loads of good places, including a good egg and bacon roll at Newlands Corner :)

Muddy Bronco
10-03-04, 10:06
The Mullard Space Laboratory. I've seen that. Always conjours up images of men in tweed suits, smoking pipes on radio sets powered by valves and saying: Hello Mars. Come in Mars."But back to the trail names. I'm down on the N/D's quite a bit. How do I know when I'm on one of these named trails?"

Charlie T
10-03-04, 10:12
Always conjours up images of men in tweed suits, smoking pipes on radio sets powered by valves and saying: "Hello Mars. Come in Mars.""Where's Hoot these days then?ROFLMAO!"

10-03-04, 12:45
How do I know when I'm on one of these named trails?"That's the point MB. Labled maps is what we needs!!"

Mal Grey
10-03-04, 16:30
Just got back from a nice blast round Leith & Holmbury. Flippin' great it was, but still don't know what most of the trails are called. But then again, it hardly matters really does it! Did about 5 different Holmbury trails, until i got fed up with climbing back up again! Conditions are spot on, very little mud or damp, & the sand is relatively solid.This mid-week riding's bl00dy brill as far as I'm concerned, hardly a soul about. 'Twas a bit brass monkeys though, had to call it a day due to frozen hands, feet & face eventually! Revived somewhat by Peaslake stores obviously.....

10-03-04, 17:13
Well, if you went down a trail which is fairly bushy on either side, and which follows the telegraph poles - that's Telegraph Road. And a very bomb-holey (and muddy) trail coming off the back of Holmbury Hill down to Telegraph Road? That's The Rollercoaster. And did you hit a lovely bit of very technical winding singletrack making its way through the pine forest and down the hill towards the tarmacced road that leasts to Peaslake? That's Silent Treatment. Or Barry Knows Best. Depending on who you're riding with.

Mal Grey
10-03-04, 17:21
Yep, that's the ones, ta! Always known Telegraph Road from old, & always done Rollercoater (virtually no mud today!!!!)The other trails were all in or around the area between Holmbury Hill carpark /the reservoir & Peaslake, just never sure which are which! As one came out at the reservoir, is that Reservoir Dogs? Anyway, who cares, 'twas fun!

10-03-04, 17:29
That's pretty much where I spend most of my time too. Yup, I think the trail that comes out by the reservoir is Reservoir Dogs. Did you go up the sandy firetrack from the reservoir to Holbury Hill car park? Halfway up on the right is a lovely bit of twisty forest singletrack we've dubbed Dogging Alley". Very nice.Virtually no mud on The Rollercoaster? You lucky git!"

Mal Grey
10-03-04, 20:09
Nope didn't do that one, (I don't think so anyway!). Next time!

nick cummins
10-03-04, 23:10
Naming trails is for idiots, who can't read maps.

Charlie T
11-03-04, 08:36
Nick, in an area with a very high concentration of trails, naming them makes sense. It then makes it easier to navigate around by saying, for example Let's do Telegraph Road" rather than "Let's do that one, you know, over there, just past the one with the thingy about half way down""

Hoot of the Smoot
11-03-04, 09:06
Did I hear my name mentioned. OK so Surrey Hills will get a beating then. Mullard Space Science Labs, just looked up the jobs there...very appealing. The thought of living and working in that environment. Now tweed suit CT, anyway I thought you were the Tweed Suited variety! Little leather patches on the shoulders and elbows, plus fours and a purdy on each arm.

Charlie T
11-03-04, 09:35
That's Purdey"! Purdy was Joanna Lumley's character in the New Avengers.........then again, come tho think of it, a purdy on each arm sounds good!"

Dave Boys
11-03-04, 13:29
Barry knows best is also called golden birdies.

Hoot of the Smoot
11-03-04, 13:53
A little play on words, well done! CT.

nick cummins
11-03-04, 23:47
Crapola. At least two of those same trials have completely different names, so that reason blows big. make up another excuse.

Christian Bridge
11-03-04, 23:59
Hoot, you don't want a jpb there. Believe me. It's not very appealing once you get in to it. Unless you want to live in the middle of nowhere in the north downs...

Hoot of the Smoot
12-03-04, 15:33
No I'm fine here atm, will be moving with the company when it relocates to Bath Area in 2005/6 so happy to trundle along.