PDA

View Full Version : Trying a another way

Michael Plakus
21-02-03, 16:32
Sent my wife off to visit family for a few months so I'm trying to go carless in the USA. Got a question though...how do you keep your arms from falling off if you need to bring something heavy home from the grocery? I live 1/2 a mile from a grocery where I purchased two eight-packs of 1/2 litre bottles of Coke last night. By the time I walked home it felt like someone was trying to run my arms through with a knife. How do you guys deal with this?

Arnold (UB40) Laurence
21-02-03, 16:38
by not drinking that much coke.

Michael Plakus
21-02-03, 16:45
It's a two week supply that was on a really good sale.

Arnold (UB40) Laurence
21-02-03, 16:49
then it was a small price to pay for the pain.unless you're planning on bulk buying every time then there's no problem really.that's still a lot of coke

JULIA (now Mrs Serge!)
21-02-03, 16:49
LOL at Arnold!(When I lived without a car I fitted panniers to my bike, took it to the Supermarket and packed in 3 bags of groceries per week. It was like the Kypton Factor in the car park though .. and a bu**er to get up hills)(panniers aren't really a stylish bike accessory though)

Paul Cooper
21-02-03, 16:53
I fitted my hack with panniers to do the weekly shop (instead of the biweekly car shop) but have only been on it once (in five weeks) and that time I forgot the lock, had to go back for it and took the car instead.Shopping without a car I used to take a 70 litre hiking rucksack for the big stuff and carried a couple of light carrier bags as well

R o m e o
21-02-03, 16:54
i have a big rucsac for jobs like that.

Milo Bloom
21-02-03, 16:54
Two weeks? I haven't drunk that much Coke in the last 20 years!What you need is a wheelbarrow.

JULIA (now Mrs Serge!)
21-02-03, 16:56
have you considered trying squash?? Apple & Blackcurrant is particularly nice ;)

R o m e o
21-02-03, 16:56
yes that is a lot of coke. Mike i bet your dentist is rubbing his hands with glee!!!

JULIA (now Mrs Serge!)
21-02-03, 16:57
Coke is the number 1 selling item in British supermarkets though.

Arnold (UB40) Laurence
21-02-03, 16:58
sod the dentist... there's people in an office in Atlanta whooping with delight

Montgomery Wick
21-02-03, 16:58
In fairness to Michael, it's difficult to buy stuff in less than gargantuan quantities in US supermarkets. Never mind the quality, feel the width....it's no wonder they're all fat bastards.Big rucsac works for me. Alternatively, try a rattan basket perched jauntily on your head.

Michael Plakus
21-02-03, 17:14
Please mind the generalisations MW--at 5'10 and 148# I'm hardly a fat bastard.Should have remembered the rucksack trick. That was what I used to do back before I got my drivers license.I have a basket but I think my wife might do unthinkable things to me if I used it.Floridated water and regular check-ups seems to have kept my teeth in check these 38 years...I still having been cutting back on the Coke (in part because my father is type 2 diabetic but he IS a fat bastard--looks like a bowling ball on chicken legs)."

Anne Brown
21-02-03, 17:16
get a trolley from the store.

Arnold (UB40) Laurence
21-02-03, 17:21
have children and get them to carry it.bribe children to carry it.get a dog... easier to train than children... attach panniers to the dog. Voila!

Montgomery Wick
21-02-03, 17:23
I saw that once, a woman with a lurcher in the Dales. The dog was wearing a kind of backpack with her sleeping bag, karrimat & everything on it. Excellent!But I LIKE generalisations.

Michael Plakus
21-02-03, 17:24
Um, Anne? Need some translation help. In US-English a trolley would be a train rail riding street car...What exactly is it in UK/Aussie-English?

Arnold (UB40) Laurence
21-02-03, 17:25
shopping cart

Michael Plakus
21-02-03, 17:31
have children and get them to carry it."That's a work in progress. May take some time to be practical especially with wife over 500 miles away."bribe children to carry it."They stay away from me...don't seem to trust the crazy man who bicycles to work every day."get a dog... easier to train than children... attach panniers to the dog. Voila!"Wife hates dogs and I have a second floor flat so "walkies" (is that term still current? I can only pick up so much lurking here.) is an issue."

Anne Brown
21-02-03, 17:32
yes a shopping cart like a large basket with wheels on

Anne Brown
21-02-03, 17:34
bribe children to carry it."erm that could get you in trouble too best avoid it... in fact avoid children completely, more trouble than they're worth."

Arnold (UB40) Laurence
21-02-03, 17:34
Wife hates dogs and I have a second floor flat so "walkies" (is that term still current? I can only pick up so much lurking here.) is an issue"right... so a pony is RIGHT out of the question.you'll never get a cat to do it, so don't even try.kids will do anything for money... just tell them it's the new cool sport, extreme shopping. they'll be lugging you're sugar and caffeine laden fizzy pop home."

Michael Plakus
21-02-03, 17:35
get a trolley from the store."They barricade the entrances so the carts can't get out. Apparently you are expected to drive to the entrance and transfer your load there. Never saw this until I moved to the Washington, DC area."

Anne Brown
21-02-03, 17:36
can you imaging what the police would be asking you after you have told a child here's ten bucks to carry these sweeties home for me, would you like a sweetie?""

Arnold (UB40) Laurence
21-02-03, 17:37
just offer the cop a sweetie too... charges dropped

Anne Brown
21-02-03, 17:38
get one of

his hollyness serge the second
21-02-03, 17:40
in brushed alu, with alloys and 4inchs of us on each wheel and it may start to look the part.

Michael Plakus
21-02-03, 17:40
you'll never get a cat to do it, so don't even try."You sure? My tom weighs in at 22 lbs. Maybe I can get him to pull a sledge."

21-02-03, 17:42
you got a fat biffer cat.trying to take that to the vets must be like trying to get a couger to give you back your arm.

Arnold (UB40) Laurence
21-02-03, 17:43
ooooh, spooky, i was just going to suggest one of those. they're a big seller round my way, there's a shop that has a load of them outside the store... fastened with a PLASTIC chain (guess the people likely to 'run' off with one haven't got the strength to break that).

21-02-03, 17:44
here is the answerhttp://www.bobtrailers.com/anne do the thingy that makes it turn blue and work please.(and i am an engineer god i crack myself up)

Michael Plakus
21-02-03, 17:45
get one of these"OK--Now you're talking. I guess I had seen them being pushed around by old ladies but didn't click as to why. I wonder if I could rig up a box for my hand truck? That would suit my purposes and might even be usable in the snow we have right now (22" last weekend and the road crews don't have a clue)."

Arnold (UB40) Laurence
21-02-03, 17:46
the last post was about the bag on wheels from Anne.You sure? My tom weighs in at 22 lbs. Maybe I can get him to pull a sledge."have you EVER got him to do anything? seems like exercise isn't the moggy's strong point.plus, it'll cost you so much in cat food to even try that it won't be worth it.aren't there any illegal immigrants in your area... will work for food, that kind of thing? c'mon man, think!"

Michael Plakus
21-02-03, 17:50
trying to take that to the vets must be like trying to get a couger to give you back your arm."He's a bit on an idiot...all I have to do is get the carrier out the night before and put it on the floor with the door open. In the morning I usually find him sleeping in it. He gets real panicy when I close the door."

Michael Plakus
21-02-03, 17:58
have you EVER got him to do anything? seems like exercise isn't the moggy's strong point."He likes to wrestle but I have to wear leather gloves to avoid losing too much blood. He gets real aggressive when I pull the gloves out. Makes it hard to get out the door on cold days. When we had seven cats (before we moved and had to out source most of them) he was the policeman. If any of the others would started arguing to loudly he would wade in break up the fight. Once watch him wade into a fight where the cats were along the wall. He usually went for the louder of the fighters and in this case the louder was the genetically deaf one who didn't seem to know how to modulate his voice. Anyway, he walks into the fight and starts throwing kitty roundhouse punches. The first punch knocked the deaf one into the wall off which he bounced. Apparently the tom saw this as aggression and gave him another...and another...and another until the deaf one fell to the floor stunned senseless."

Arnold (UB40) Laurence
21-02-03, 18:17
ok... this might work, but don't sue me for the hospital bills if it doesn't.when moggy is asleep attach the harness for the sled. to the sled you need to put a forward facing pole... long enough to reach just in front of kitty's nose. tie some string to the glove... fix other end to the pole. ideally the pole should be moveable to enable steering.when tibbles wakes he will go for the glove, thus providing propulsion.of course... when you take the harness off, the cat will kill you. no doubt about it.

Anne Brown
21-02-03, 18:29

Michael Plakus
21-02-03, 18:49
ok... this might work, but don't sue me for the hospital bills if it doesn't."You should know better than to tell an American not to sue...I don't care what Ralph says about you...you think well outside the box."

Michael Plakus
21-02-03, 18:54

Mike Healey
21-02-03, 19:01
Whenever I log on it seems to be about how can cyclists carry stuffYak, yak, yak, yak, yak, yak, yak....

Andrew Redman
22-02-03, 00:18
In some parts of the midlands the word 'Bob' is a polite slang word for crap (ok shit really)

Arnold (UB40) Laurence
22-02-03, 00:22
remind me never to go apple bobbing when i travel north

Craig Furber
22-02-03, 06:36
If in your local supermarket the cashiers ask, Can i help you out with that Sir?", say, "Yes, thankyou", hurry out the store hop on your bike and hope that they follow you home...;PMW the portions in US supermarkets are truly gargantuan...ice cream in 5 gallon tubs, bags of crisps you which leave crumbs on your shoulders as you reach into the bottom of the bag, jars of pickles that only two strong men can lift, but you can still get singles of most things. :P"