PDA

View Full Version : Top builders sign on for Specialized Linkage

Ancient Mariner
29-11-01, 13:54
The 2 quotes caught my eye:This alliance enables Kestrel to develop a lightweight, efficient full suspension bike without the considerable investment and uncertainty in engineering a viable suspension system". And"We want to support the innovators, by..."I may have missed something, but it seems to me the whole point of this is about NOT innovating, but using a standard design. All they plan to do is bolt a Spesh back end to their own front triangle. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a bit much claiming innovation. Now if they'd attempted a take on the VPP or a version of the maverick that WOULD have qualified.An opportunity missed."

Phatboy da Silva
29-11-01, 14:39
Why would attempting to bolt a VPP back end onto there bike be any more innovative than bolting a Spesh back end on? Innovation is an over used word i reckon. Very few bikes are truley innovative, mainly because all the good designs have already been done. Bolting a VPP back end would just aid the refinment of the system, but it's hardley being innovative is it?The guy's/gal's who first proposed and worked out the designs basic mode of action was the innovative one.Oh look, 2p on the floor...

Ancient Mariner
29-11-01, 22:12
Why would attempting to bolt a VPP back end onto there bike be any more innovative than bolting a Spesh back end on?"Because there is no definitive VPP system (at least as far as I know) and it would require them to do some R&D. But as you rightly point out reinforcing my point, here little innovation is involved. I have a suspicion that there are a finite number of ways to connect a wheel to a frame and allow it to move in a controlled manner. "

Shawn the marmoat
29-11-01, 22:37
actually there is a definatice VPP setup. if you've seen the latest (final in Santa Cruz's case) prototypes you'll notice the rear ends are identical.Intense and SC only have the license to one setup, which would indicate that it is the best one

Ancient Mariner
30-11-01, 08:38
Thanks for that. I stand (well, sit anyway) corrected.